Tornado Warning STGB Chat

Colin W

• 3 weeks later...

Well we're up to 22 now for the Tonka STGB. Lots of time to get the last 8 ready to join the vote. Just don't leave it too long to join. 

Colin 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Colin W said:

Well we're up to 22 now for the Tonka STGB. Lots of time to get the last 8 ready to join the vote. Just don't leave it too long to join. 

Colin 

Colin this being a STGB means it doesn't need to go to a vote, once you get the right number, 25, then it's automatically in. Enzo then just needs to give you the dates.

So you need just 3 more interested parties and it's a goer! 

EDIT:

you may want to start a list....I just did a basic count and I make 23 or 25, depending if Pat @JOCKNEY or @Rickoshea52 are in or not.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

So you need just 3 more interested parties and it's a goer! 

EDIT:

you may want to start a list....I just did a basic count and I make 23 or 25, depending if Pat @JOCKNEY or @Rickoshea52 are in or not.

I’ve just completed a Tornado GR1 for a GB elsewhere so I’m in no rush to do another tonka - GB’s don’t suit my building habits, I take too long. Sorry but I won’t be joining in. 

• Sad 1

I think Colin we may actually now have the numbers!!! 

I think you or @Col. need to go through and do the official count and if good give Enzo a wee nudge.....probably safer with a really long stick!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

:poke:

so is this STGB a go or are we still waiting for one more???

have already starting my planning spreadsheet for next year and possible GB.......I know very sad!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

:poke:

so is this STGB a go or are we still waiting for one more???

have already starting my planning spreadsheet for next year and possible GB.......I know very sad!

Welcome aboard the spreadsheet mafia.  😈

I've got a couple 1/48 (F.3 ADV & IDS) along with a couple minis GR.1s (72nd Desert Storm & Def Research Agency) in the stash if you need the extra body.  I almost had a 1/32 this past weekend...except for whatever reason I thought I already had one so I passed on it.  Still want an ECR to add to the collection someday.

.....and I wonder who's to blame for that!!  :whistle:

I'm still trying to find (or waiting for one to be released) a good model of one in 1/48th. The Hobby Boss one looks to be the best at the moment....from the reviews!

• Like 1

Not very strong in GBs since last year, I would be interested none the less. Have two 1:48 Revell kits in stash. Would like to do a RAF wrap around scheme or maybe the RAF roundel version with Saudi desert scheme. No promisses :-(

Well with Hellios, Peter and Caerbannog we should be on.

Sorry I have been bobbing around in the Indian ocean for a while and out of touch with the world. As is evidence of lack of progress on my 3 current GBs. 

Colin 

• Like 2

this should probably mean you have all the number required for it to go ahead. So find a big stick and......:poke: Enzo...as long as it not first thing in the morning you should be ok!

Still waiting for the word as to what is the best 1/48th beauty out there, I have now heard the Revell one may be the the one to got for....but that has issues too! 

:pray: can somebody please do decent version of the Tornado in 1/48th....dear god not like the version of the Viggen as done by Special Hobby/Tarangus!!! :suicide:

• Haha 1

Following Rich's Advice, Here's the list of potential Builders For the Tonka End of Service Group Build

1 Colin W with the red and White Prototype GR1 Based on Revell or Italeri

2 Marlin Revell 1/48 TBD

3 Nimrod 54

4 Dermo245

5 Fatcawthorne

6 Jabba

7 Grimreaper09

8 Whiskey, Luftwaffe

9 Rafalbert

10 Hockeyboy76 F3

11 Trickyrich Luftwaffe Tigermeet 1/48 Revell

12 mackem01

13 PhantomBigStu

14 Col at least 2 1/72 and Italeri 1/48 F3

15Mig Eater

16 Exdraken

17 Valkyrie Marine Flieger Italeri 1/72

18 Theplasicsurgeon Revell GR1, 617 GR4 Airfix F3

19 DaveJL GR4

20 Redstaff GR1, GR4 F3 1/48

21 Fortheighter 23squ F3 Hobbyboss

22 Dazzio 1/144

23 Modelling Minnion

24 Jockney

25 Kallisti F3

26 helios16V F3 or IDS 1/48 or ECR

27 Peterairfix Revell 1/32

28 Caerbannog Revell 1/48 in wrap around or Saudi Scheme

29 Jackster F3 early 90s

30 Blue Centurian 1/48 GR4

31 Corsairfoxfouruncle RSAF GR1

32 Alan P: 11sqn F3. 1/32.

33 jrlx Revell 1/72 GR1

34 Mirage IV Italeri's new 1/32 Tornado or 1/32 Marineflieger example using the Revell kit. 

35 Al Revell 1/72 GR1

36 Almac Revell 1/72 GR1 Gulf war 

37 Peter W Gulf war GR1 Foxy lady

38 Arniec Something Luftwaffe 

39 OutcastJoel Revell IDS and Airfix  GR3 1/72

40 Nocoolname F2 Prototype 1/72

41 Andwil F3 1/72

41 MarkSH 1/48 Airfix Tonka GR1

42 Christer A Eduard Desert Babe or a German IDS in wraparound green

43 Marcin Kaminski TBA

44 Paulaero ; 4 1/72 Revell 'Fins' one in each of the four Bruggen Sqns

So thats us past the 25 needed so we should be on for next year. Many thanks to Peter and Caerbannog for jumping in there so give us a sprint finish.

I shall humbly approach Mr Enzo for a date.

We appear to have most versions covered but it would be good to get a range of schemes.  There were 4 RAF GR schemes; grey & green over white, grey & green wrap, desert pink and grey over grey, Saudi brown green over sand, Luftwaffe at least 4 variations of green, overall grey and patterned grey, Marine grey and the original grey over white , F2 pale grey with black trim prototype and overall grey, and F3 Overall grey RAF, Saudi and Italy.

Thats 16 possible schemes but many variations as no one could resist putting special markings on that huge fin. The Germans seem to lead the way with special markings of eyes and peeled schemes but who can resist the RAF Shark mouth?

Colin W

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

To answer Rich's question above, I built 3 Italeri Tonkas a few years ago, GR1A, GR4 and F3. Each needed the fin leading edge correction, a resin cockpit and some more detail around the exhausts, They built up well and were no issue. I had an Airfix GR1 which I was given and this was too awful to build compared to the Italeri so I used it as a basis for an EAP scratch build. (EAP used a Tornado rear end). I can therefore confirm the Italeri is better than the Airfix in 1/48

Meanwhile on Britmodeller I found this comparison between the Italeri, Revell and Hobbyboss kits in a thread called 'Italeri vs Revell Tornado'

On 8/29/2014 at 5:40 AM, AirfixAndy said:

Revell is better detailed but it could be classed as over engineered in parts .......the intakes are the trickiest part of the build.

Apart from that ...best detailed Tornado kit on the market in any scale. (Dont self -harm yourself by getting Hobbyboss Tonkas !)

Italeri ....dont go throwing them away ....they build up quite nicely , except for the wing nib inserts , a good kit IMHO but certainly second class compared to the Revell kit.

Andy

So overall it looks like Revell followed by Italeri with some resin corrections followed by Airfix/Hobbyboss.

Colin

• Like 2

arrr bugger "humbly approaching Enzo", just find the biggest and longest stick you can find and give him a good whack!!!  Then run for cover!! :rofl2:

mmm I have read the Revell one is the best or a rather ordinary bunch......why can't Tamiya do a proper version, surly it'd be popular???

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Colin W said:

We appear to have most versions covered but it would be good to get a range of schemes. 

I think I'm set on the overall gloss black GR1 from the 16 squadron 75th anniversary 1990 scheme, always fancied doing the black and gold like the JPS F1 cars, never got round to doing it, but now seems like the right time to try and get as many different schemes done for this STGB :) 

Ian

• Like 1

Hi Chaps, 

The great Enzo has replied and given us a date. So the long range weather forecast for a Tornado warning is September 2020.

Maybe a bit further into the future than wanted but reasonable based on the current number of active builds. Still plenty of time to clear the bench, get some goodies delivered and be ready to go.

Colin 

• Like 1

haha I see the :poke: + @Enzo Matrix worked and we're in the Future section....... know that smell of excitement anywhere!

I know there was lots members who were deeply concerned at my stress of what model to build and working frantically to come up with ideas for me... :tumble:......

But worry not, all is saved with the old saying "go large or go home", so I have with this wee baby!

tornadoecrreview_box-M.jpg

I actually prefer this scheme to the Lego one, plus there are some nice extra's available for her too. My first 1/32nd jet.........we don't talk about to F-16! :whistle:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good to see you planning ahead. Plenty of resin opportunities for this monster. You might have to invest in the metal undercarriage before you get too far. 

Colin