Tornado Warning STGB Chat

Colin W

On 16/09/2020 at 19:36, exdraken said:

Swept wing approach.  Used to see the F.3s at Leuchars practise this, I guess in case of wing sweep failure.

Al.

Excellent video there JB.

There's a serious lack of lift at low speed and swept wings. Resulting in a very high angle of attack!

Interesting there is no use of the speed brake, even on the 'simulated sweep fail.

Thanks for posting

Colin

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me what colour the inside of the intakes on an F3would be?  I can’t find any photos that show conclusively the colour and those taken from the right angle to show have the red ground covers in place!

AW

Edit - found a couple of photos that show a light grey, possibly light aircraft grey with black inside leading edges.

AW

Edited by Andwil
Answered my own question

3 hours ago, Marlin said:

And it show that when loading the MW-1 mine dispenser pod you should have all three belly pylons attatched. 

HTH 

Bosse

Wow thanks, how could we?, at least me miss that thread earlier this year??

Interesting photo showing the mid pylon. But if this was necessary or just in place for these statics remains opem to me. ....maye the electrical connection was placed there??? But that would be hard to reach by a standard German technician I guess!...

You're welcome Werner.  :D

I don't know if this is just a static display or not.

But I agree that it seems rather difficult to load the dispenser and attach it to all three pylons. 

I'll continue to trawl the net and see if I can find some more pictures. 

/Bosse

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Christer A said:

Also, my mate and I are printing a batch of 1/48 airbrake bays:

50398779792_7ec4c42f3f_o.jpg

Its just the well part of the bay, so it's not a drop fit replacement.

Drop me a PM if you want a set.

very nice!

I prefer them closed actually, same with the thrust reversers.. but maybe I will have one while landing.... with part compressed landing gear :) and a MW1 that did not eject :D

for the ones who want to join late, the new Revell GR4 is out!:

Z4I6eUo.jpg

you can build either of the 3 farewell schemes, on in wrap around without special markings, but full/ higher viz!

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Morning All,

Wonder if someone can help me out with a couple of things?  I'm doing the Revell 1:72nd GR.1 and have seen that the nose wheel ideally needs to be reduced in height slightly.  I'm a little uncertain of how to go about doing this.  Has anyone got any pictures of this surgery?  Have seen plenty mention of it in various topics on here, but have yet to actually find any pictures,

And secondly, I went to paint some of the back end bits yesterday and realised that the Revell paint scheme would have me mixing paint in various combinations for the exhausts and thrust reverser buckets.  I'm no fan of mixing paints, and was wondering if any of the other manufacturers listed single colours for these parts?

Thanks!

Al.

What does Revell suugest?

Which colors du you use?

My 48 scale instructions say steel metallic 91 for the buckets, antrazide black 9 for the nozzle inner, and a mixture if 66% to 34 of 92 with earth brown 87 for the outer...

I used gun metal all over with some shadingon mine...

Revell suggest:

10% Matt black, 45% leather brown and 45% copper for the exhausts

65% leather brown and 35% aluminium for the thrust reversers

I have gun metal, along with silver, steel, aluminium and copper.  I guess some dry brushing will allow me to get some colour variations..

Al

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Anatol Pigwa said:

As for the shortening of the landing gear: Since U have been looking for advice myself, I came up with this image from a german forum:

index.php?page=Attachment&attachmentID=4

Thanks, that's perfect! Gives me an idea of what I'm aiming for. Also confirms that I did indeed know which bit was the oleo 😁

34 minutes ago, alhenderson said:

Revell suggest:

10% Matt black, 45% leather brown and 45% copper for the exhausts

65% leather brown and 35% aluminium for the thrust reversers

I have gun metal, along with silver, steel, aluminium and copper.  I guess some dry brushing will allow me to get some colour variations..

Al

I'd say you've got a good selection of colours there to get the correct look

10.jpg

• Like 2

Here's a completely random question that I found myself pondering whilst brushing my teeth last night. Does anyone know why the serial location is different on RAF F.3s vs GR.1/4s?

As a spotter, used to prefer the F.3 location, until it got covered on so much soot from reverse thrust that you couldn't read it, of course!

Al

• Haha 1

On 10/6/2020 at 7:14 AM, alhenderson said:

Here's a completely random question that I found myself pondering whilst brushing my teeth last night. Does anyone know why the serial location is different on RAF F.3s vs GR.1/4s?

As a spotter, used to prefer the F.3 location, until it got covered on so much soot from reverse thrust that you couldn't read it, of course!

Al

Are you refering to the under wing/tail serials of the early ac or the fuselage positions?

57 minutes ago, Colin W said:

Are you refering to the under wing/tail serials of the early ac or the fuselage positions?

I was referring to the fuselage positions, i.e. the GR.1s on the lower fuselage and the F.3s on the tail..

Al

Hi there,  Very late to this party but I have quite a few 1/48 Revell Tornado kits and this it the prompt I need to build one or 2!

Let me have a look at my stash and I'll revert soonest. 

• Like 3

Ok - I have these kits - debating on what to enter once I’ve finished the #BOB80 GB....

any tips or advice welcome - 2 from 4 realistic !

wGQljsv.jpg

lfiWeCC.jpg

rwKqSfL.jpg

udgmVjR.jpg

or

y35hexP.jpg

FL8yHTu.jpg