Tornado Warning STGB Chat

Colin W

On 5/14/2019 at 11:59 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Does anybody do a decent set of decals in 1/72 for a Saudi Tornado in these markings and camouflage ? Its the 1st photo in the link

http://defenseworld.net/news/21714/Saudi_Tornado_GR4_Fighter_Bomber_Crashes_In_Yemen_Due_To_Technical_Error

Sorry don't know if i can post a photo from that site, so i just linked it. 

Dennis

I just noticed that the big H is advertising Caracal decals for the RSAF,  due soon. 

Colin 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2019 at 7:59 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Does anybody do a decent set of decals in 1/72 for a Saudi Tornado in these markings and camouflage ? Its the 1st photo in the link. 

http://defenseworld.net/news/21714/Saudi_Tornado_GR4_Fighter_Bomber_Crashes_In_Yemen_Due_To_Technical_Error

Sorry don't know if i can post a photo from that site, so i just linked it. 

Dennis

"Desert Storm" Tornado GR.1/IDS Hi-Decal Line - Nr. 72-001 - 1:72

Tornado IDS RSAF Revell - Nr. 04363 - 1:72

Just to clarify the report is wrong ...... it is not a GR.4. 

It is a Post-TSP IDS. The pod on the fuselage pylon is a Damocles FLIR/Laser Designator pod.

• Thanks 1

Long time since I signed up for a group build but enjoyed the Tornado group build in 2011, so please put me on the list for this one. Probably going to be a Desert Storm ‘Foxy Killer’ build from the Revell kit but lots of time to change my mind.

Pete

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all. Just noticed this GB so I thought give it a go. Mine will be the Revell Gr1 1/72 in a Gulf war scheme using Modeldecals. I’m not sure which one as there is a few too choose from. 

Cheers Allan

• Like 1

Currently have a 1:72 Revell GR.1 in the cupboard.  There's an F-4 ahead of it in the queue, so late next year might well work for me :)  If, by some miracle, I end up getting the GR.1 done earlier, could always be tempted to dp another one - so much choice!

Al.

• Like 1

Just found this STGB proposal. Are the dates already set?

I may enter with one of the following:

143943-11185-12-pristine.jpg

169031-10244-28-pristine.jpg

137726-11185-pristine.jpg

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Good point ? Since its a Single type build you only need 25 people. I found the list and theres 31+ names.

@Colin W quick question ? Has Enzo been notified ? You have the needed number of names for a single type build. He should be able to assign you dates ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

Hi Chaps, 

Glad to have a few more interested in the build. Al, Alan,  Jamie, Peter and David you are most welcome. Plenty of schemes to choose from so i have added you to post #41.

We are approved by the great Enzo and have been allocated a slot for September 2020, see post #45.

Colin 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Colin W said:

Hi Chaps, 

Glad to have a few more interested in the build. Al, Alan,  Jamie, Peter and David you are most welcome. Plenty of schemes to choose from so i have added you to post #41.

We are approved by the great Enzo and have been allocated a slot for September 2020, see post #45.

Colin 

Excellent.  Got to be an RAFG scheme for me - so grey/green wraparound.  Fancy 16 sqn markings which I think are in the kit.  Maybe I'll find something more adventurous before Sept 2020.  Will I get a reminder of some sort before then? Cos I'm going to forget that far in advance 🙂

AL.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, alhenderson said:

Will I get a reminder of some sort before then? Cos I'm going to forget that far in advance

Hi Al

There's a thread on the Future group build page called 'GB notification ' for exactly this reason. Enzo updates this every month giving you a rolling 3 months notice of upcoming Group builds. All you have to do is subscribe to the link and you'll never miss a GB again. 

Colin 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 3:03 AM, mirageiv said:

I'm in for sure, would be nice to build Italeri's new 1/32 Tornado if it makes it in time (or ever?!) If not hopefully a 1/32 Marineflieger example using the Revell kit. 

David

I've got the Revell 1/32nd ECR version, looks really nice!

To any contemplating the Revell 1/48th version.......avoid like the plague!!!! The 1/144th, 1/72nd, and 1/32nd are really nice models......the 1/48th.....well revell decided to get clever with that one and it's almost unbuildable!!! There are a few poor sole contemplating going the full Valhalla with their builds to appease the modelling god!!! They are just that bad!

• Like 1

I've got one, along with a few of the various Italeri releases and Paragon bits to correct them. I just don't know if I really can bring myself to put either one together considering all of the work needed to do so. I've seen some amazing builds of both manufacturer's kits but like you basically said, not sure if it's worth it.

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

To any contemplating the Revell 1/48th version.......avoid like the plague!!!! The 1/144th, 1/72nd, and 1/32nd are really nice models......the 1/48th.....well revell decided to get clever with that one and it's almost unbuildable!!! There are a few poor sole contemplating going the full Valhalla with their builds to appease the modelling god!!! They are just that bad!

Too late!  Got 2 of them too, an ADV & F.3.  Such is life.    :shrug:

Hmm the curious side of me (ok the Masochistic side :whip:) is tempted to get one on these 1/48th beasts just to se how bad they are and to see if they can be built without too much pain. They surely can't be as bad as some of the resin stiff I have, or the Grand Phoenix Fury I built!!!)

If I can find one cheap enough, be nice to have another Luftwaffe one.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2019 at 2:06 PM, trickyrich said:

I've got the Revell 1/32nd ECR version, looks really nice!

Yes it is a great kit Rich, I've had a few in the stash for ages now just waiting for the time to build them, I think it will take me a long time as it probably will be my ultimate model build I love the subject so much. The only downside to the kit imho is the wings having no flap out option, paragon (If you can find them) or Flightpath to the rescue however! 

Hmm on the Tornado I can't afford the space to have the flaps down. Both my F-111C and Su-17M3 have flaps (and slats for F-111) down and they hog space!

I am looking forward to building her, just hope the decals are still all ok!!

I have built 3 Italeri with resin extras and plan to build a Revell one in this GB. There are a couple of them built on here and they look ok.

I got the Revell one last month so will open it up and start dry fitting 

Colin 

I know it's next year but, I'm drawn toward an  Arctic camo version, although if kitty hawk release the harrier gr3 before the gb that'll be earmarked for the Arctic scheme and I'll do a revell  48th gr4 for this gb in the wrap around camo

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

In response to the previous question about the best 1/48 kits, I purchased a Revell one in the UK earlier this year for comparison to the Italeri one already in the stash. As promised here are a few pictures. I couldn't fit the Revell box in my suitcase but it would be a lot bigger than the Italeri one. Note the Italeri kit is an F3 while the Revell one is a GR4. 

20190721_191652

Instructions are clearly decades apart. 

20190721_191946

Here's the 3 sprues from Italeri 

20190721_192345

And here's the 15 sprues from Revell. Ok some are smaller but there are a lot more parts. Both kits only give fuel tanks and AAMs whereas the Revell Eurofighter contains every conceivable weapon.

20190721_192802

This picture shows the type of difference between the kits. Revell need 4 steps to build the 7 part engines. Italeri need part of a step to install the 2 engine parts into the rear fuselage. 

20190721_192122

Quality of the wheels and engine nozzles. Revell is the darker plastic on the right. 

20190721_193450

So based on what's in the box you certainly get more modelling for your money with Revell. Given that both kits are the same retail price then Revell is more for your money. 

However I have built 3 Italeri kits and they came up looking good so if you just want a simpler, easy build then it should be an option. I'll post pictures nearer the time. 

I'll wait until next year to see how the Revell one fits together. 

Colin 

Kits courtesy of my hard earned cash. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is soooo early to ask but I'm starting to plan my build program for next year.......yes I know I have no life but my spreadsheet demands information (I think I've created a monster!!), but did "Enzo The Mighty and Just" :rofl2:mention and actual start date? Or will that depend on the out come of the November slug fest come cat herding, commonly known as the GB vote!

I have a huge shopping list i stuff I need (1/32nd Skyraider for starters) to plan for it's arrival (ie sneak it into the stash with military precession) when SWMBO isn't around!!!  :chair:

@Colin W I know all about Revell's ridiculous boxes, I've already re-boxed my beast and started to throw away (well put in another bag) all the bits I don't need. Least now it fit in my shelves!

IMG_3315-S.jpg

Got my first goodie for her, a new cockpit!

IMG_3253-S.jpg

Plus my alternate decal set, I do prefer the 2001/02 Tiger Meet scheme but if those decals are no good I have a fall back in these or I may just got with the Lego Scheme! The nice person I got them from even included the instruction sheet as well!

IMG_3313-S.jpg

• Like 3

His great Enzo Ness has planned the Group build schedule with the sort of meticulous attention some of us reserve for smuggling large brown paper packages from the car boot to the loft.

The specific date for the Group build start is 5th September 2020.

Looking through the Tornado supplement that came in the last IPMS UK newsletter, I really hope someone builds the Lego Tonka. A seriously unique scheme. 

Colin 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Did I resist to sign me in on this one?! hmmm I must be mad!!!! So also sign me in.  I think I have got one or two lying around in my stash. 

Cheers,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1