Tornado Warning STGB Chat

Colin W

Hi Chaps 

I noticed on the news today that the mighty Tonka will be stood down in March 2019 after 40 years of active service. Many of the members on here like myself will remember them entering service. Comments about them never going to be able to replace the v bombers were well founded but it seems to have filled it's niche well. The Tonkas served in several theatres and have been a success story to all involved. 

One thing that I don't think we've seen is a Tornado Group build. Early on the kits were slow to be released and we only really got some good 1/48 kits in the last few years. 

So how about a Tonka GB ?

Colin 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi Chaps. 

Well we're 12 after 1 week so the omens are good. 

I think all Tornadoes are allowed. German, British, Italian and Saudi. All but the Germans flew the F3 as well as GR1 versions so lots of interesting schemes.

As far as the best kit goes well...

In 1/48 I've built 3 Italeri with resin corrections to give respectable GR1A, F3 and GR4. I had an Airfix 1/48 and it wasn't better so I used it as a base for the EFA. I haven't seen the new Revell or Hobby Boss ones but I gather the Revell on is pretty good. 

I have an LS 1/144 model which looks good but it's too small for me. 

As for other scales there's plenty of choice. 

Colin 

Sign me up and if you need a co-moderator I'm happy to help :) There's at least four suitable kits in my stash by way of two Revell 72nd scale GR.1/IDS and a couple of Italeri's 48th scale ADV. NO! No Enzo!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

On 2/23/2019 at 2:24 PM, exdraken said:

When would that be?

Any chance of a special slot due to the current GR4 situation?

Good idea but there's a full calender of STGB this year so getting an extra slot is unlikely. Probably best case is to get in to the vote at the end of the year and ask Enzo for an early time. 

Colin 

• Sad 1