Airfix 1/48 B.P. Defiant Mk.1

Gday All

Decided I would start the year off with a nice easy build, the Airfix 1/48 Defiant.  Enhanced with Eduard PE sets for flaps and cockpit details, master Model Gun barrels, Barracuda wheels and Quickboost exhausts

A really enjoyable model to build, although like all Airfix's new kits, the plastic is a bit soft, and surface details are lacking.  If doing another, I would add Quickboosts wheelcovers as airfixs are really thick and simplified.

I wanted to do an early war scheme so did a scheme from Roposmodels defiant sheet although in the end only used their serials as i thought their roundel colours too bright and their code letters too pale.

Photographed against a backdrop of a photo I took of a hangar.  The model sits on a grass mat of the type used by model train people.

Thanks for looking

Bruce

RNZAF museum-10Airfix 1/48 DefiantAirfix 1/48 DefiantAirfix 1/48 DefiantAirfix 1/48 Defiant

• Like 69

Gday Bruce

Beautiful Defiant. Nice restrained weathering. The additional details make it just that little bit smarter though I am not a fan of dropped flaps and I doubt that they were often seen deployed when parked up.

The colours look pretty good to me - I would hazard a guess at Gunze H72/73?

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

Thanks for all the kind comments people.  

Malcolm, yes, the colours are indeed Gunze H72 and 73.  To me they look fine straight out of the jar.  I do have  a few photos of Defiants on the ground with the flaps cracked, but you are right, none with  the flaps fully open as I have modelled them.

I just like to the workings of an aircraft.

Holzhamer, I used Barracuda's tailwheel.  As you noted, the kit one is a bit clunky.

Would love to see the defiant done in 32 scale

Cheers

Bruce

Beautiful model and photography Bruce,........ great to see a Defiant wearing the early war markings too. Lovely model isn`t it,..

Cheers

Tony

So, yeah, I saw this, another bloody, Defiant, yawn. Probably some bloody Aussie built it,  yawn. Annoyingly good, doh.  Another Airfix kit I like but didn't buy. 

Damnit it's brilliant.

Like, Tony, I'm in awe

11 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

Malcolm, yes, the colours are indeed Gunze H72 and 73.  To me they look fine straight out of the jar.  

Cheers

Bruce

Thought they were - and I agree, they look pretty much spot on from the jar. Don't know why people try so many other concoctions?!

Cheers

Malcolm

12 hours ago, tonyot said:

Beautiful model and photography Bruce,........ great to see a Defiant wearing the early war markings too. Lovely model isn`t it,..

Cheers

Tony

You were correct Tony. I really enjoyed the build.

1 hour ago, Baldy said:

Thought they were - and I agree, they look pretty much spot on from the jar. Don't know why people try so many other concoctions?!

Cheers

Malcolm

Agreed Malcolm

12 hours ago, noelh said:

So, yeah, I saw this, another bloody, Defiant, yawn. Probably some bloody Aussie built it,  yawn. Annoyingly good, doh.  Another Airfix kit I like but didn't buy. 

Damnit it's brilliant.

Like, Tony, I'm in awe

Thanks Noel. Not too late to buy one you know!

Thanks again everyone for the kind remarks. My closest modelling friend lives an hour away, so it’s great getting feedback like this.

Bruce 

• Like 1