Hurricane IIB BG707 Colours

johnd

Hi all,

I'm about to build the Fly 1/72 Hurricane IIB and am aiming to do the Free French Air Force option.

I understand that the painting instructions are a little fanciful and in reality, the camouflage scheme was likely to be the usual desert colours (dark earth and middle stone over azure blue) with some fading and repainting in evidence.

There's one thing bothering me though. The picture of the original in "Hurricane at War:2", P.87, doesn't appear to show yellow on the propeller tips which arouses suspicion that the photo was taken on orthochromatic film. This would explain why the blue on the rudder is darker than expected.

I'm probably overthinking this, but if not, what would be the effect of ortho film on the dark earth and middle stone? Would it reverse the colours so the darker colour in the image would be the middle stone on the real BG707?

Thanks,

John.

Orthochromatic film will show blue as lighter than the red.  It is possible that the rudder was painted with RAF roundel blue rather than a closer match to a "proper" French colour.

No, the Desert scheme will not show a tonal reversal with orthochrome film, because it is red that the fillm is reacting to, RAF Yellow having a red component making it an orange-yellow rather than a lemon-yellow.  Mid Stone is basically an ochre shade without a significant red component.  It does sometimes appear darker than at other times, but never lighter than the Dark Earth (which does contain a red component).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1