Airfix 1/48th Hunter

This is my recently finished Airfix Hunter F6A in the markings of an aircraft belonging to the A&AEE at Boscombe Down in 1989.

Although its great to finally have a decent 1/48th scale Hunter, personally, I don't think the kit is as nice as the Blenheim purely from a detail point of view. It's quite a simple kit too and the cockpit is very basic which is why I couldn't justify an open canopy, but, saying that I think a closed canopy retains those distinctive Hunter lines.  However once the aftermarket boys get to grips with it it'll be fine. The clear parts themselves tho' are very crisp. The wheel wells too need busying up a little too particularly the main doors and legs. I didn't bother but hopefully by the time I do another one we'll have some nice aftermarket goodies in all departments.

The Porton tanks were modified from a set of Academy's 230 gallon tanks (as were the real ones apparently) but I just couldn't get the noses to look right so the first 12mm are the noses of some P51D paper fuel tanks which fitted almost perfectly and I feel capture the correct shape. The length of them I determined was about 14 feet using various photos and scaling them against the fuselage length and the smaller tanks.. The rear tubing was a simple addition with some plastic tube.

The other parts and mods not from the kit are the squared off lower fuselage modification where the gun packs should be ( I'm not quite sure what that actually was), rescibing of the cutout on the main flaps, the pitot tube which was from Master and the small bulges on the upper wings on the roundels.

Decals of course were from the kit and one of the new Xtradecal sheets.

Thanks for looking and I hope you approve....

46273999914_29098c9246_b.jpgIMG_0107

46084319855_06cfc343fb_b.jpgIMG_0109

33122725508_f5a421ffb4_b.jpgIMG_0110

46946317032_42acf79114_b.jpgIMG_0114 

46084336695_9e3b3e29cb_b.jpgIMG_0112

• Like 55
  • Thanks 2

Very nice indeed and quick off the mark too!

I`ve been sprayed by this baby or one like it,.....on the Porton Battle Run,...... which isn`t the nicest experience I have ever had! 

Cheers

Tony 

Very nice clean build and really good to see '610 in the older scheme, not the more commonly modelled Ripple scheme. Good work on those tanks as well!

Thanks for showing.

ATB
Rick

Nice work Keith.

Like Tony, I've seen this very aircraft in action whilst on exercise on Salisbury Plain but fortunately never suffered from its work.

On 2/6/2019 at 8:24 PM, IrritableRabbit said:

All Hunter builds are good! But nice Hunter builds are greater still. 

This is definitely greater still😎

Those Porton tanks are interesting as I've neither seen nor heard of them (in my admittedly limited knowledge). 

Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, but by way of explanation, the Boscombe Down Hunter/s fitted with the 'Porton' Tank were used to simulate the dispersal of chemical agents over troop concentrations. During the Cold War, The Soviet and Warsaw Pact Air Forces possessed a sizeable force of aircraft and helicopters capable of dispensing these products across the battlefields of the Central Front. I am sure the reference to Porton Tanks is directly related to the Defence Research Establishment at Porton Down which specializes in developing defensive measures against Chemical and Biological threats, work which featured in the news last year for its support during the Skripal incidents in Salisbury. To train the British Army and the Royal Air Force in countering NBC threats, the low flying Hunters would dispense a clear or coloured mist spray over troops engaged in tactical exercises or at RAF air stations engaged in National or NATO Tacevals ......Like Tony and others, I was their 'target' once or twice....not a pleasant experience         

Keithjs

Nice Model, BTW

Well Done, Sir !

• Thanks 1