Henderson HSF1 1929, Scratchbuilt 1/72, a Very British Plane

A build from 12 years ago:

A Very British Plane:

Ah, those deceiving little monsters…you look at the 3 views and say to yourself –mhhn, piece o’cake. Pretty square, slab-sided, regular size….

Ha! Next thing you know, you are crying shamelessly over the building board, half-way the project, hoping you had tackled the Tarrant Tabor instead.

Anyway, the Henderson HSF1 was a creature born of the need to give some naive bystanders their short ride around the airstrip at a reasonable cost with certain level of safety. A leftover Beardmore engine was bolted to the back of the fuselage instead of the planned, more reliable –and more expensive- power plant. That should give you an idea of the state of things around that hangar.

Nevertheless the Henderson took to the air although with certain –understandable- reluctance and eventually evolved into an all-enclosed cabin apparatus nicknamed the “flying greenhouse”, not secondly due to its aerodynamic properties.

The model, as said before, appeared as an easy ball, but later revealed its true malign nature. I quit counting the parts when I reached 150 and rigging the beast was not my favorite afternoon

The images are the chronicle of a long journey thru the barren lands of scratch-building. The wheels were the only borrowed parts, and the use of Contrail aerofoil section and “Strutz” material alleviated the task.

But after the storm passed, the sun shone once again on the skies of Scratchland, illuminating the building board and the hieratic figure of the Henderson HSF1.

What can I say, it must be love.

01.jpg

02.jpg

02a.jpg

03.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

26.jpg

Edited by Moa
  • Like 28

38 minutes ago, John Aero said:

Another of my favorites is the Henderson Glenny Gadfly from the same stable. Moa, you are clearly educating a lot of people and introducing them to a fascinating world. Good man.

John

Just a glimpse, then, John 😉:

(this is part of some potentially upcoming endeavor)

46084931665_337d8f4118_b.jpg

• Like 6

Magnificent! I see what you mean about it being deceptively complex. Cracking result, though.

Ah yes, the Tarrant Tabor. That would be impressive. Not British aircraft design's most successful product. Surely the effect of that thrust line must have been obvious...?

Jon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jeaton01 said:

A flying park bench!

Indeed! literally and figuratively!

12 minutes ago, Jonners said:

Magnificent! I see what you mean about it being deceptively complex. Cracking result, though.

Ah yes, the Tarrant Tabor. That would be impressive. Not British aircraft design's most successful product. Surely the effect of that thrust line must have been obvious...?

Jon

:cwl:

Yet another Moa creation! 

I like it. I would have gone for a little pleasure (?) flight in it.

Tarrant Tabor eh?

“The Tabor was the first and only aircraft design produced by W.G Tarrant Ltd, a well-known property developer and building contractor at Byfleet, Surrey,...”

Wikipedia. One word in there really does say it all doesn’t it? The word ‘only’ 😱.

erm.

Caproni Ca.60 anyone? Care for a rich tea biscuit with that one sir? ️ 

69-EA4-D27-8-D5-D-493-A-AC8-D-6-E4383-D8

🤣🤣

Best regards

TonyT

PS: Happy to remove the picture, don’t want to mess up the thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, John Aero said:

Actually Moa I meant the first version without the Pearson rotary ailerons.😜

So: the wrong version.

32 minutes ago, John Aero said:

That looks gorgeous, I've got to do one in 1:48th.

... and the wrong scale.

You've really got the hang of this Britmodeller thing, John!

:coat:

• Haha 2

A lovely job on that weird old beasty, it does have a certain something going for it but I'm struggling to find the words to express this. :)

3 hours ago, Jonners said:

Surely the effect of that thrust line must have been obvious...?

Isn't hind sight a marvellous thing. ;)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Ahh, the Tarrant Tabor! Hey, Wingnut Wings, let's you see you do that one in 1/32nd scale! By the way, Moa, quit showing your engines next to giant novelty quarters, we're on to you.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Haha 1

The engine alone is a gem. Just up my street that one - I really am a sucker for things that look as though they were designed by a committee for any purpose other than flight. I may well have a go at one of these - the attraction is almost overwhelming.

P

• Thanks 1