A Murder of Crows..... Well a pair.

Hi There,

Innis decided that it would be a double build this time. The 1/72 Airfix Bf109 E-3 and FW190 A-8. One picked up from Aldi and the other bought with some of his Christmas money.

I decide it would be a joint build and that he would help me. So he has been doing bits and pieces from de-sprueing, gluing, sanding, filling, painting and airbrushing.

We had a few mishaps and so the FW has various bits of sanded toothpick on board.

He has been brilliant helping when there was stuff he couldn't do and as such I am really chuffed with the results.

Any errors and omissions and entirely mine.

On with the pictures.....

3lqHMnw.jpg

BMqRa4k.jpg

tOSFBh3.jpg

uy4KqJO.jpg

41coVYs.jpg

Thanks for looking and as usual any comments and suggestions  gratefully received. If someone can tell me how to get the vertical aerial wire in position with rigging line I would be very chuffed.

Cheers,

Alistair

P.S. Please excuse the state of the bunker.

• Like 8

Hi Alistair,

Congrats on two iconic aircraft! Being very partial to Luftwaffe aircraft myself, I find it a pleasure to look at your models.

I assume that by vertical aerial wire you mean the section of aerial that goes from the main aerial on the Bf 109 to the top of the fuselage.

From experience, the only way to get something looking right and strong is to drill a small hole on the fuselage where the wire is supposed to enter (plenty of photos will show you exactly where that is). A hole diameter of 0.3 or 0.4 mm max should do. Then glue one end of the wire into the hole. Make sure the wire you use is quite a bit longer than what you need. Then put a tiny dab of CA where you want it on the main wire and connect the vertical one to that spot.

Check your reference photo as sometimes the wire goes towards the front and sometimes towards the rear!

When everything is nice and dry, cut the portion of wire that sticks out above the main one, with a brand new scalpel blade or razor blade, and everything should look nice and sharp!

Long winded explanation, but quite obvious at the end of the day.

Have fun!

JR

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Alistair,

Congrats on two iconic aircraft! Being very partial to Luftwaffe aircraft myself, I find it a pleasure to look at your models.

I assume that by vertical aerial wire you mean the section of aerial that goes from the main aerial on the Bf 109 to the top of the fuselage.

From experience, the only way to get something looking right and strong is to drill a small hole on the fuselage where the wire is supposed to enter (plenty of photos will show you exactly where that is). A hole diameter of 0.3 or 0.4 mm max should do. Then glue one end of the wire into the hole. Make sure the wire you use is quite a bit longer than what you need. Then put a tiny dab of CA where you want it on the main wire and connect the vertical one to that spot.

Check your reference photo as sometimes the wire goes towards the front and sometimes towards the rear!

When everything is nice and dry, cut the portion of wire that sticks out above the main one, with a brand new scalpel blade or razor blade, and everything should look nice and sharp!

Long winded explanation, but quite obvious at the end of the day.

Have fun!

JR

Many Thanks for that. I will give it a try the next time