MiG-21F-13 72nd scale Modelsvit

ya-gabor

20 hours ago, general melchett said:

Personally, Modelsvit (and Amodel) are my favourite manufacturers by a country mile. They continue to release superb kits of exotic aircraft, subjects I never dreamt we'd see released as 'mainstream', albeit Limited Run kits...all power to them. The box art doesn't really bother me as much as the contents, but I agree you should have something that really grabs you and makes you want to buy the thing there and then.

Hopefully, they'll release the early Su-15 and Tu-14 soon as I'm really looking forward to both of these...then how about a Tu-98 Backfin?

Very much looking forward to this F-13 release as with all the others. 

Fully agreed! 

I'm looking forward to this F-13 and have mine on backorder with the Big H.  I'm really enjoying Modelsvit's output and approach

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Issue # 5-2019 "M-Hobby" magazine published review about MiG-21F-13 from Modelsvit:

20416.970x0@2x.png

( resource photo official publishing house &

dealer magazine:

https://zeughaus.ru/zhurnal-m-khobbi-52019/

I read

electronic version this article. What can I say?

In article have compassion fuselage & canopy Modelsvit v.s. Revell. The Revell error in the fuselage section in the cockpit area, which automatically made the Revell canopy in error, is clearly shown in comparison.

But we are not interested in Revell, right? 😁

In principle, the model has a new fuselage, an ejection seat, weapons and canopy.

Unbuild ejection seat I don't see in article, , only the text and picture of this ejection seat from the technical manual. Intuition tells me that in order to detail the model of this ejection seat, I’ll have to use the photoetched Part or Eduard! 😉

Nothing is written in the article about the absence of compressed air balloons in the wing bays of the main wheel. Nothing is written about the very small gap between the annular nozzle and the nozzle combustion chamber. This is what I had to face in MiG-21F. At the same time, the article complains about the bad docking of the cockpit and fuselage MiG-21F-13.  I haven’t reached this point yet, but the dry assembly cockpit & fuselage MiG-21F tells me that everything is fine.

Among the shortcomings, the absence of two weather vane out of four per Pitot tube is noted, but for those who have photoetched Part or Eduard, this is generally not significant.  In general, no big surprises in this article & this models.

A more complete version of this article may appear on the Russian model site Scalemodels.ru , if this happens, of course I will give a link here.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 2

Forgive my ignorance but which of the 2 Modelsvit Mig-21 kits has 2 cannons?  The earlier Mig-21F or the newer release Mig-21F-13? 

Also, just bouncing an idea in my head, which one will be suitable to convert to a Chengdu F-7 ( the later variants with double delta wings used by Pakistan and Bangladesh)? I can scratchbuild the outer double delta wings and might be able to vacuform the raised canopy and single piece windshield. I just need to know which base model might be better suited: Modelsvit's 'F' or 'F-13'?

Thank you.

6 hours ago, Jackman said:

which of the 2 Modelsvit Mig-21 kits has 2 cannons?  The earlier Mig-21F or the newer release Mig-21F-13?

@Silverkite absolutely right, MiG-21F - 2 gun, early MiG-21F-13 with short fin and ejection seat as  MiG-21F have 1 gun but with K-13 missiles and  late MiG-21F-13 have large fin, new ejection seat,  1 gun, K-13 missiles.

B.w. if You need more and more gun - MiG-21 without any letters which we know also as prototype E-5 ( in series 10 examples)

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/xplane/e5.html

carry 3 gun!

6 hours ago, Jackman said:

Also, just bouncing an idea in my head, which one will be suitable to convert to a Chengdu F-7 ( the later variants with double delta wings used by Pakistan and Bangladesh)? I can scratchbuild the outer double delta wings and might be able to vacuform the raised canopy and single piece windshield. I just need to know which base model might be better suited: Modelsvit's 'F' or 'F-13'?

Is there anywhere a good comparison between the MiG-21F-13 and 

Chengdu F-7 constructive differences?

I saw some drawings of differences

MiG-21F-13 vs 

Chengdu F-7

in Russian magazine , but I don’t really trust those drawings.

Probably for conversion best MiG-21F-13, but if 

but if you bought a Revell and do not know where to put it now, maybe you should consider him as a candidate?  Anyway, scribing.  Although of course if in this conversion you want to bring the detailing of the Revell to the detailing of the Modelsvit you have a lot of work to do.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Silverkite said:

The Mig-21F kit comes with two cannons but you need the F13 kit to build the J-7 this if Chengdu didn't further modifiy the fuselage

Luigi

Hi Luigi,

I suppose that someone who is able to do a new canopy and outer wings both kits will do. The vanilla F needs wider fin and the F-13 second gun. For later J-7s also a brake shute is needed below the rudder and outer wing racks too. The higher canopy indicates a Chinese ejection seat instead of the SK-1.

I recall that there is a J-7 converison for Revell promised by some manufacturer.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, AaCee26 said:

Hi Luigi,

I suppose that someone who is able to do a new canopy and outer wings both kits will do. The vanilla F needs wider fin and the F-13 second gun. For later J-7s also a brake shute is needed below the rudder and outer wing racks too. The higher canopy indicates a Chinese ejection seat instead of the SK-1.

I recall that there is a J-7 converison for Revell promised by some manufacturer.

Cheers,

AaCee

I know AaCee, the problem with all of this for me is that as long none comes up, close and personal to the any real life sample of the major variants one can only speculate the differences between them.The spine, rudder and brake chute and also the canopy are the major distinctive traits of the J-7 then it's in the sticks for everything else.

I do have a magazine with a J-7 article but outside some generic pics of three variants and a possible drawing of a Pakistani aircraft it doesn't say anything other than what's already written on Wikipedia.

Gonna wait for "that" conversion :D

Luigi

Luigi, Serge and AaCee, 

Thanks very much for the info, especially the differences between the F  vs F-13 fins. I did not know that. According to wikipedia, it appears that the J-7 was modified from F-13s. So J-7 got the wider fin from F-13.  Somewhere along the way, J-7s got 2 x guns from the F but some still had only one gun like the F-13.

Thanks again, gentlemen.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jackman said:

Thanks very much for the info, especially the differences between the F  vs F-13 fins. I did not know that. According to wikipedia, it appears that the J-7 was modified from F-13s. So J-7 got the wider fin from F-13.  Somewhere along the way, J-7s got 2 x guns from the F but some still had only one gun like the F-13.

Hi,

I have seen description of the different J-7 versions and their modifications in several books about PLAAF and MiG-21s. Obviously none has had enought spare time to write about them into Wikipedia... Basically they started from the F-13 except J-7II and J-7IV (or J-7C and J-7D) which were based on MF sourced from Egypt.

I'm waiting for the converswion set for later J-7. Until then I'm likely to utilize a Bilek F-13 with a detailing set from Revell for an early J-7 as I have those alredy in my stock but not yet the Modelsvit kit.

Cheers

AaCee

• Like 1

FWIW

http://mig-21.de/english/technicaldataversions.htm  reproduced for ease of reference. 

First Generation

Daylight interceptor without radar, armed with guns (one or two 30mm NR-30 respectively), guided or unguided missiles on two wing pylons.

MiG-21F (Изделие = product 65)

MiG-21F (72)

MiG-21F-13 (74)

MiG-21F-13 (S-106, built under licence in Czechoslovakia)

mig-21firstgeneration.gif

Versions of the J-7 / F-7

The Chinese MiG-21 copies J-7 (home market) / F-7 (export) can be divided in three generations based on the MiG-21F-13 airframe, a separate development featuring the fuselage of the MiG-21MF as well as a number of twin-seated trainers. Today these types differ in many features from their Soviet predecessors:

First Generation

Daylight interceptor without radar or with radar range finder, armed with guns (one or two 30mm 30-I respectively), bombs, guided or unguided missiles on two or four wing pylons.

J-7

J-7I

F-7A

J-7II

F-7B

F-7BS

j-7Firstgeneration.gif

Second Generation

All-weather interceptor with radar, armed with guns (two 30mm 30-I), bombs, guided or unguided missiles on four wing pylons.

J-7M

F-7M

F-7P

j-7zweitegeneration.gif

Third Generation

All-weather interceptor with upgraded avionics and double-delta wing, armed with guns (one 30mm 30-I), bombs, guided or unguided missiles on four wing pylons.

J-7E

F-7MG

J-7G

F-7G

j-7Thirdgeneration.gif

J-7III

All-weather interceptor with an airframe similar to the third MiG-21 generation, armed with guns (one 23mm-cannon), bombs, guided or unguided missiles on four wing pylons.

J-7C / J-7III

J-7D / J-7IIIA

j-7III.gif

For small details,  there are walkround of various J-7's and MiG-21 to compare.   

HTH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/7/2019 at 8:00 PM, ya-gabor said:

Matchbox did do MiG-21's. But when was that??? Ages ago, based on few sketchy drawings and some b/w photos with questionable dimensions and details. 

Correct me if I am wrong but it is year 2019 now. A lot has changed since Matchbox, Airfix, Heller or even Revell did a MiG-21 in 72nd scale!

Rivets or no rivets, it is far from compulsory to get this kit or any other which has rivets on it. 

The MiG-21F kit (72021) from Modelsvit did not have rivets. I would expect this new MiG-21F-13 kit to be based mostly on that 21F design.

At the same time have to mention that most of their service life the MiG-21F-13 were in natural metal with just a clear varnish protection showing all rivets clearly just as those early Mirage III fighters. 

Best regards

Gabor 

Hi,

For me this Modelsvit  kit is:

Too expensive for 1/72 kit

Level of details is for the 1/48 kit and not for 1/72 because it is too much to use all this medical stuff for build it.

What is needed to be done is not done. (rivets on the wing are visible without telescope on the Revell kit). air brake is not open at front, main brake unther fuselage, flaps not as separate parts, etc.

Revell kit get O.K. when Pavla set is used to correct it a little. 

Sometimes I think you get payed to showing all good things on new model. Why you do not show what is bad on it? Too thick canopy, surface details, price.

Now I will say what I like on new kit:

-one piece wing like on new Eduad kit, detailed engine to be build showing it`s engine and PE parts.

My suggestion for you is to contact your colleague Andrey from Modelsvit and ask him to make new 1/48 kit that we are really need. Trumpeter kit is a toy not model.

Best regards, Ales

I can not post photo of the wing of a real aircraft to show how it looks like. But certainly not like Modelsvit kit has. 

Edited by Ales P.
New info

19 hours ago, Ales P. said:

Level of details is for the 1/48 kit and not for 1/72 because it is too much to use all this medical stuff for build it.

I do not agree.  In some aspects, the level of detail is insufficient even for 1:72, as an example inside the wings  wheel bay compartment there are no cylinders with compressed air, while the MiG-21 Eduard model has such cylinders at 1:72, moreover, such cylinders, though too small, are available in the Revell model!

What is needed to be done is not done. (rivets on the wing are visible without telescope on the Revell kit). air brake is not open at front, main brake unther fuselage, flaps not as separate parts, etc.

- air brake is have in Part & Eduard photoetched, those who want to open them can always buy these photoetched sets, though  will have to make complex detailing of the compartments yourself.

- don't remember, but probably  main brake unther fuselage for MiG-21 maked Quickboost.

-  flaps not as separate parts, for what?

B.w. also for what open air brake & flaps, just because someone likes it, but for example I don’t like it, what should I do?  It’s not possible to please everyone.

In addition, You write that for 1:72 this model is too detailed and then You write that it lacks detailing yet ( "air brake is not open at front, main brake unther fuselage, flaps not as separate")

.... is there any discrepancy here? 😉🤔😁

Revell kit get O.K. when Pavla set is used to correct it a little. 

Revell not O.K. because have uncorrect canopy, and you won’t fix it with any aftermarket canopy , because Revell’s fuselage  location in the canopy area is also incorrect. 

Sometimes I think you get payed to showing all good things on new model. Why you do not show what is bad on it? Too thick canopy, surface details, price.

@ya-gabor

is unlikely to answer you, because for some reason related to his own initiative, he stopped writing on BM.

But what about

too thick canopy You  probably right. Because on Russian forums colleague when assembling the Ye-2A from Modelsvit ,  encountered the fact that he could not make the canopy  in the closed position, and I encountered this on another model Modelsvit that has structural principles common with the MiG-21 family from Modelsvit. Most likely Modelsvit did not test the assembly of their models with a closed canopy.

🤗

Moreover, if You look at my topic of WIP, You will see that I have serious complaints about the accuracy of the tail, and specifically to its excessive area. Similar questions about the excess area of the tail are asked at Russian forums.The absence of a reasoned reaction from the manufacturer regarding the tail, suggests that there is probably a mistake in the model.

Therefore, personally from my side there is no silence about manufacturer errors and problems that arise during the building  of models of the MiG-21 family from Modelsvit. 

I can not post photo of the wing of a real aircraft

Why?

But certainly not like Modelsvit kit has. 

My, and not only my, interesting to know Your opinion about what You don’t like about the MiG-21 from Modelsvit, with arguments please!

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark

1 hour ago, Aardvark said:

I do not agree.  In some aspects, the level of detail is insufficient even for 1:72, as an example inside the wings  wheel bay compartment there are no cylinders with compressed air, while the MiG-21 Eduard model has such cylinders at 1:72, moreover, such cylinders, though too small, are available in the Revell model!

- air brake is have in Part & Eduard photoetched, those who want to open them can always buy these photoetched sets, though  will have to make complex detailing of the compartments yourself.

- don't remember, but probably  main brake unther fuselage for MiG-21 maked Quickboost.

-  flaps not as separate parts, for what?

B.w. also for what open air brake & flaps, just because someone likes it, but for example I don’t like it, what should I do?  It’s not possible to please everyone.

In addition, You write that for 1:72 this model is too detailed and then You write that it lacks detailing yet ( "air brake is not open at front, main brake unther fuselage, flaps not as separate")

.... is there any discrepancy here? 😉🤔😁

Revell not O.K. because have uncorrect canopy, and you won’t fix it with any aftermarket canopy , because Revell’s fuselage  location in the canopy area is also incorrect. 

@ya-gabor

is unlikely to answer you, because for some reason related to his own initiative, he stopped writing on BM.

But what about

too thick canopy You  probably right. Because on Russian forums colleague when assembling the Ye-2A from Modelsvit ,  encountered the fact that he could not make the canopy  in the closed position, and I encountered this on another model Modelsvit that has structural principles common with the MiG-21 family from Modelsvit. Most likely Modelsvit did not test the assembly of their models with a closed canopy.

🤗

Moreover, if You look at my topic of WIP, You will see that I have serious complaints about the accuracy of the tail, and specifically to its excessive area. Similar questions about the excess area of the tail are asked at Russian forums.The absence of a reasoned reaction from the manufacturer regarding the tail, suggests that there is probably a mistake in the model.

Therefore, personally from my side there is no silence about manufacturer errors and problems that arise during the building  of models of the MiG-21 family from Modelsvit. 

Why?

My, and not only my, interesting to know Your opinion about what You don’t like about the MiG-21 from Modelsvit, with arguments please!

B.R.

Serge

Hi,

I think it s the best way to wait on other kit made by Eduard. 

1.) Price will be lower than now

2.) Will have all the details we need inside and outside. Hire I think on the surface details on the wings and fuselage, tail, etc. When I write about too much

engineering  I thought about on the ejection seat and small details in the cockpit. 

3.)Maybe we should convert this two models together and get one good model at the end. 

I know about problems with sink marks and wrong cockpit position but it is no chance to fix it. 

Best regards, Ales

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ales P. said:

I think it s the best way to wait on other kit made by Eduard. 

Hi, Ales,

With Eduard, all difficult and uncertain, they will do the MiG-21F, then they will not do the MiG-21F, or maybe they will do the MiG-21F but only at 1:48, I myself got confused in their plans, if seriously ...

32 minutes ago, Ales P. said:

When I write about too much

engineering  I thought about on the ejection seat and small details in the cockpit. 

I think that making such a detail Modelsvit just wanted to save the modelers from having to use the aftermarket in the cockpit, in my opinion they succeeded.  However, unfortunately, technological capabilities do not allow making one part in plastic what is done by one part in resin. 

38 minutes ago, Ales P. said:

Maybe we should convert this two models together and get one good model at the end. 

Revell+Modelsvit? I don’t have a MiG-21F-13 from Modelsvit yet, but there is a MiG-21F from Modelsvit and a MiG-21F-13 from Revell, as it’s easier for me to modify each model separately using separate parts from Modelsvit for Revell, but this is my personal way  the man who first bought and started Revell and then bought Modelsvit.🤗

B.R.

Serge 

42 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

Hi, Ales,

With Eduard, all difficult and uncertain, they will do the MiG-21F, then they will not do the MiG-21F, or maybe they will do the MiG-21F but only at 1:48, I myself got confused in their plans, if seriously ...

I think that making such a detail Modelsvit just wanted to save the modelers from having to use the aftermarket in the cockpit, in my opinion they succeeded.  However, unfortunately, technological capabilities do not allow making one part in plastic what is done by one part in resin. 

Revell+Modelsvit? I don’t have a MiG-21F-13 from Modelsvit yet, but there is a MiG-21F from Modelsvit and a MiG-21F-13 from Revell, as it’s easier for me to modify each model separately using separate parts from Modelsvit for Revell, but this is my personal way  the man who first bought and started Revell and then bought Modelsvit.🤗

B.R.

Serge 

Hi again,

Regarding Eduard Mig-21F-13. I am sure they will do it soon, They do not need much to change a few details new fuselage and done. Wings are fine with PF version only smaller UC doors, tail is correct, horizontal stab. are fine also, They are just hard to convinced about. They have make troubles about decision working on 1/72 scale. Now is PF, PFM the best seller! 

I will try to cross Eduard with Modelsvit also. I will get over trees from PF and select what is good from each model. It is similar building for both kits. 

B.R. Ales

4 hours ago, Ales P. said:

With what you will compare this kit? 

MiG-21F-13 maked only Modelsvit, Revell, Heller/Airfix, Hasegawa/Academy, Eduard don't maked MiG-21F-13, therefore compassion maybe only this four models, but no hypothetical, future, maybe

release Eduard! 😉

I do not see any reason to make a new comparison of the existing

MiG-21F-13 models from various manufacturers since it has already been made in the M-hobby magazine, which I wrote about in this posting:

🤗

What else to compare?  Technology, designers?  Technologies and designers are constantly changing and improving, so it also makes no sense to compare what is now with what will be sometime in the future!

🤗

1 hour ago, Julien said:

Comparing is OK, we just dont want thread creep into another discussion.

Really, don't understand, need maked new topic with compared differences models MiG-21F-13 or this topic already somewhere have on the BM?

If such a topic is already on BM,  then is it possible to just give a link to it in this discussion, so that similar discussions do not arise in this topic, in the future?

B.R.

Serge

4 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

MiG-21F-13 maked only Modelsvit, Revell, Heller/Airfix, Hasegawa/Academy, Eduard don't maked MiG-21F-13, therefore compassion maybe only this four models, but no hypothetical, future, maybe

release Eduard! 😉

I do not see any reason to make a new comparison of the existing

MiG-21F-13 models from various manufacturers since it has already been made in the M-hobby magazine, which I wrote about in this posting:

🤗

What else to compare?  Technology, designers?  Technologies and designers are constantly changing and improving, so it also makes no sense to compare what is now with what will be sometime in the future!

🤗

Really, don't understand, need maked new topic with compared differences models MiG-21F-13 or this topic already somewhere have on the BM?

If such a topic is already on BM,  then is it possible to just give a link to it in this discussion, so that similar discussions do not arise in this topic, in the future?

B.R.

Serge

Maybe we got a little lost with this topic or I think too much in advance. There is a lot of information in my head and various ideas about comparison arise. If you don't like it, I'll just say goodbye and continue in your style. I apologize. I don’t mention various old and bad models because I think this forum is an exchange of serious information and not some workshop for kids.

Ales