Operation Starkey & Typhoon markings

Sky dancer

Air Classics Quarterly Review, Volume 2, Number 1, Spring 1975.  Title on cover is "Military Mustangs A Sword Through Freedom's Enemies.  (A couple of copies listed for sale on a well known online site, both in the USA, prices vary)  The two photos that appeared of Mustangs with Starkey markings I am reliably informed by someone who has researched their origins, have also appeared in another publication and are of (top) a Mustang Mk.I of No.IV(AC) Squadron RAF and (bottom) a Mustang Mk.IA of No.170 Squadron RAF, both taken at RAF Odiham on 9 September 1943.  No definitive identification of the serial number for either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi Michael,

There are more photos of RAF Mustangs with the Starkey markings, by my latest count with these two six photos of varying quality, not all of them have been 'shared' or published widely.

The photo of FD546 'G' which was the subject of my Britmodeller build post a while back comes from an original photo in a pilot's log book that I had access to.  Yes, unfortunately model build photos gone in the PhotoBucket money grab purge and damned if I can quickly find the originals to repost via another photo host.  However, a copy of that original photo was provided to Chris Thomas and appeared  along with a profile illustration he prepared in Volume 4 of 2TAF.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi Laurent

Do you have a full title & issue number for the magazine, so i can search for maybe an old copy 

cheers

jerry 

Hi Jerry,

the full title is : Air Classics Quarterly Review, volume 2 Number 1, Spring 1975. 114 pages full of Mustang pictures!

Cheers,

Laurent

(Oops, I had not seen Colin's answer before replying, sorry).

Edited by silberpferd

9 hours ago, TBC said:

Laurent,

Does the Air Classic mag identify the Mustang I and IA? There is an old article from Model Airplane International from October 2008 with several colour profiles of RAF/RCAF Mustang I, IA and II's. One of the colour profiles is of 268 Sqd Mustang IA FD-546, aircraft "G" in Operation Starkey markings.

Unfortunately, the caption merely states that it shows RAF Mustangs taking off and  "note the D-Day stripes"....