Italeri C-47.RAF BBMF.

stevej60

Hi folk's,there was no way I was going to miss an entry for this GB,my dad had a spell in Dak's at the end of WW2 in Italy then Palestine.Italeri's kit is a nicely

molded pretty simple kit now way overshadowed by Airfix's state of the art kit.Going for the box top RAF scheme but not ruling out another build in the post

war Italian scheme which look's great.

dak

And  here's Dad,we reckon this must have been taken aged 21 he arrived in Italy in March 1944 and was up near the Yugoslav border when the 

end came in May 1945 then a year in sunny Palestine.

20190205_113420

Edited by stevej60
title change
  • Like 12

Yo Steve,

I am sure you are going to have fun with this kit! I have it in the stash and I still find it extremely good. A great model should be easily built from it. If the Airfix kit is state of the art in comparison, then it must really be fantastic!

Enjoy!

JR

• Like 1

Evening folk's,hadn't planned a start this soon but best laid plans etc.Anyway fitted out the interior and tonight while the airbrush was out

sprayed a base coat of interior green I thought I would have the cargo door's open on the RAF build.

20190210_191235

20190210_204234

• Like 4

Hi Steve

Very nice start ..

The cockpit interior looks a little more detailled on the Italeri kit than on the Airfix one  ..

As I have several Italeri kits in my stash I might be tempted to build one if I have enough time..

Cheers

Patrice

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Hi Steve

Very nice start ..

The cockpit interior looks a little more detailled on the Italeri kit than on the Airfix one  ..

As I have several Italeri kits in my stash I might be tempted to build one if I have enough time..

Cheers

Patrice

Thank's Patrice,I wasn't going to paint the interior aft of the cockpit but looking at your's and other build's it does seem better to do a proper

job even if it can't be seen if you have this kit then you'll know despite it's age what a nice little kit it is.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Thank's Patrice,I wasn't going to paint the interior aft of the cockpit but looking at your's and other build's it does seem better to do a proper

job even if it can't be seen if you have this kit then you'll know despite it's age what a nice little kit it is.

Not wishing to discourage you from modelling for the "but I'll know its there" reasons, but having completed  two (well one and 97% another) C-47s this year, one each Airfix and Italeri, I can confirm that nothing at all is visible aft the cockpit, and precious little of the cockpit itself.

45983017275_0a12c95593_c.jpgC-47 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 2

Morning folk's,progress on both build's hence both in the photo,I'm calling a halt for a week or two on these as due to a couple of sleepless night's

thank's to the insomnia I have once in a while I've gotten way to ahead given we're only a week in and I must get the 1/32 Mustang over the finish line.

As you can see wing's assembled interior only the IP to add.

20190213_113254

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, John_W said:

Check your references for the air intakes. I believe Italeri based their kit on  a restoration with "civil" engines and post-war intakes.

Thank's again John I noticed the ZA codes for the BBMF Dakota so a nice clean finish for this one,plenty of photo's of this machine on

the net.Interior and window's fitted.

20190218_180523

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all,just an update on this build,going well so far just took the tape off after a couple of day's drying,nose needed a bit of filler but a quick

brush of paint and gap look's fine.On to the paint.

20190301_103031

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve great paint job...

I only have a remark about your carburator intakes as they are on the wrong place on yours..

If i am correct you have the two part intakes glued in position and if so the first part should be glued on the most forward nacelle and the small part just behind that first one connected to the first..

Just take a look at the links i provided..

https://www.akpool.co.uk/postcards/26161796-postcard-raf-c47-dakota-douglas-royal-air-force-britisches-kampfflugzeug-in-der-luft

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C41597

I love your build though , can’t wait to see it finished..

cheers, Jan

• Like 3

4 hours ago, janneman36 said:

I only have a remark about your carburator intakes as they are on the wrong place on yours..

That got me worried Jan, as I've positioned the intakes on my C-47 in the same position as Steve!  However photos of my subject, do show Steve's arrangement.

It seems to depend on the particular aircraft.  I'm sure somebody will know why :winkgrin:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, janneman36 said:

I love your build though , can’t wait to see it finished..

Thank's for that Jan,Italeri obviously got this wrong too as they suplied the codes to represent the BBMF Dakota which checking photo's

has a small intake not even supplied with the kit,I,ve tried to find an actual wartime picture of the aircraft it has been painted torepresent

without luck.

• Like 1

I think the Italeri kit comes with the small intakes (at least mine did) as I used them on “Ambulance Plane No.1” (there seem to be at least three different types, small, tropical filter, and the much larger one used on the uprated versions)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Thank's for that Jan,Italeri obviously got this wrong too as they suplied the codes to represent the BBMF Dakota which checking photo's

has a small intake not even supplied with the kit,I,ve tried to find an actual wartime picture of the aircraft it has been painted torepresent

without luck.

I think the small intake might be the rear part of the intakes you used. If I remember the Italeri kit correctly, you may have to cut the front parts off those intakes in order to get the smaller ones.

Edit: Never mind, your kit is a reboxing of the ESCI kit that I'm building. That one definitely has that small intake part (I used it in my build).

Edited by obermartin
correction
  • Like 3

On 3/11/2019 at 7:33 AM, CliffB said:

That got me worried Jan, as I've positioned the intakes on my C-47 in the same position as Steve!  However photos of my subject, do show Steve's arrangement.

It seems to depend on the particular aircraft.  I'm sure somebody will know why :winkgrin:

I think that the problem is that the wrong intakes are used if youre position is right..

If i am correct you have used the shorter intake parts that should be used as on the photo’s provided in my earlyer post.

In this kit should be a onepiece large carburator larger than the one used with a square opening that should be fitted on that position, if the instructions tell you to put the shorter intake on then the instructions are wrong...😉

i hope that this explains it enough what i try to tell as you look at pic

The one in the red circle is the one you both used if i am correct, and the ones in the blue circle should be used on that position..

It can be easily corrected as these are bigger and will cover some damage when you take the smaller ones off..

33478744748_4fb5d3974f_b.jpg

I hope that i don’t spoil the fun in your project as they look all very good..

Cheers, Jan

Edited by janneman36
Info changed
  • Like 1

Airfix got the carb intakes wrong on their first C-47. They had you put Parts # 55 and 56 on backwards> That's what I did as a young teen way back in the late 60's.

resized_88f4db01-69ec-4ef9-9a6a-a7b68eff

Chris

• Like 3

Morning folk's the BBMF Dakota does have the small intake's which are in the kit,thankfully the larger one's were a breeze to remove and after a swipe

with wet'n dry  the correct one's were added and re-painted then the white areas of the D-Day stripes sprayed I managed to get overspray all over the place

so once dry I need to mask the white and give a quick spray over the green again!

20190312_111451

And a wartime photo eventually turned up.

Dakota_C.III_233_Sqn_RAF_returning_from_Normandy_1944

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, janneman36 said:

I hope that i don’t spoil the fun in your project as they look all very good..

Thank's again Jan,for my aircraft I needed the third intake pairing which in your photo is right above the Instrument panel.

• Like 1