From Russia with love: AVD YAAZ-210 Flatbed 1/43

activexp

After seeing a post in RFI from Egi Vandor of his Russian trucks from AVD Models I was inspired to have a go at one myself. The kit I decided on is the YAAZ-210 Flatbed from 1951 which I purchased from an ebay seller in Poland. I was expecting a product made in Russia but it comes as no surprise to see that it's made in China.

The parts count is quite low as the substantial chassis is a single moulding in white metal and of good quality with zero flash. Likewise with the cab which is nicely done. Unfortunately the instructions are the worst I've ever seen, so small you need a magnifying glass but it doesn't really help as the drawings are vague.

y4m2dvYYB8-zgcVHl-gqU_qCVoPjvy8NqJFbJ-vX 

y4m8B1ODcraYIVYVSnNLfclsGU1p-iTVQhNGqXBk

y4mVhJe9uGWMD5x3AMNDL4lIxKxwwzzTwSztpRfH

y4m3c1Lj0g8kbdjYoqA1L18Dm8lU4itzTAIRzpLC

y4mP5TZRzUWAU95SXBxh99yrSucfBSk3KFOywKs7

y4mkZUFJ3jBsmGrPlMGAHLzm1Kj2ri61ZSxRF5zS

y4mkvMjk8z87RzyStLGyl3MQIBdWm3VEvokjsEGG

y4miSFUCxKq2vykkL9DDZostjN72ZCCL64PP3oD8

y4mU6MViPH4gtOssD87miJROX_N5D3UlesjVD2Dl

y4mf26ZZp0Es8knP4BAyjGykbrnbINpZYdYNaBHt

y4mQhMkkQ59c4-bsASH3zYkoPfXSnITxdOeairJK

A small sheet of decals.

y4mPuPCg9ThsO1rbxfcAlYfZaZf0bt0OAO26JGxq

Made a start on glueing plastic parts to the chassis.

y4mJA7VzSo1M_fOJi3i9JR9KglgALzUmfc7r30NF

y4m2loYub3d6_VOZ0jpZsgdPcgo39cywP8ntvMZ8

More to follow soon.

• Like 7

I saw those builds as well, and also your mention of getting one yourself. Nice! I wasn't expecting the chassis to be metal though, were you?

17 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

I saw those builds as well, and also your mention of getting one yourself. Nice! I wasn't expecting the chassis to be metal though, were you?

No I wasn't expecting a metal chassis or cab. It appears to be a feature of AVD kits.

I guess the metal gives it a bit of strength and solidity, although I'm not sure you'll need it at 1/43. I have to agree with you about those instructions though - I don't envy you trying to follow them!

Those instructions are so bad they are misleading as I've found incorrect part numbers on the exploded diagram of the chassis. There are also some mystery parts which I have no idea where they go. Maybe they are for a different kit, I don't know.. The lack of any build order is another problem so assembly is very much trial and error, usually error!

I have found a PDF of the instructions on the AVD website which I can enlarge but it's not a great help due to all the mistakes and lack of clarity.

The instructions to build the model are good, and it makes no probnlems to build the kit,

BUT:

The decals are without any informations for the kit, no schemes to colour the trucks or witch decal you must use. The picture on the box shows a truck, but for these truck are no markings inside.

I search a lot to find photos from the original trucks to decorate it.

modelldoc

• Like 1

A dry run to check the fit of the cab to the chassis. All good.

y4mU0KpWqfBzphxLLF7gKf-k2VVUKtkFsGKGTSuf

y4mUCBECiJX7A0hFRDPoQbfbN8oLSc7or98kAnnV

Chassis and cab primed and flatbed assembled.

y4mWX56-pRFhODRh28Evb1tYf5jr3CRSX0Gvf48C

I'm doing a 2 colour scheme for the body and flatbed.

y4mIKKF-RJMzjLwy85HjlKfspXf8Synaqp5xJIj-

The tiny cab interior completed.

y4m2D6tSWU81YPOedjt58ClYvcW3cfRiGtTYRG3Q

• Like 4

Well done!

You will paint your YaAZ in Khaki? Most typical to soviet trucks color in fifties was dark blue-green, while military ones usually were Khaki 4BO. Blue truck on the box is from 1952 exhibition, and it had later type cab, covered with metal. 

While you didn't assemble the cabin, repaint the seats, they were dark brown or black.

And i don't recomend you to use stock decals - they are too thick and glossy.

Here are some photos of flatbed YaAZ-210 from RCForum and other sources for you

76zbEvGyzRk.jpg

0629_16_mm.jpg

23685038.jpg

0_85a7e_fdcefb3c_orig.jpg

0.jpg

Edited by Egi vandor
  • Like 2

Many thanks Egi for those great pics of the real thing and for your colour scheme recommendations. All very helpful but it's a too late for me to make any changes so my truck will be unique !

6 minutes ago, activexp said:

Many thanks Egi for those great pics of the real thing and for your colour scheme recommendations. All very helpful but it's a too late for me to make any changes so my truck will be unique !

Some addition. Platform of YaAZ-210 was fitted with chain between middle struts of side boards, but in exploitation it was often dismantled.

I have some YaAZ-210 kits too, AVD and NorthStar. Maybe, after MAZ-200M i will finish half-built YaAZ-210G.

IMG_8422.jpg

And these books are excellent source of information about YaAZ and MAZ-200 trucks.

IMG_8426.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, activexp said:

Don't worry, at service trucks were often repainted in different colors, and light blue wasn't rare.

Here are examples of dark blue-green color for soviet trucks of late40's-mid60's

0_105649_909968d6_orig.jpg

0_1230b9_ea3a07d_orig.jpg

18.jpg

• Like 2

The kit comes with metal axles for attaching the wheels which eliminates the chance of them falling off. 

This completes the work in progress.

y4mEe5TzO4DitZtGrKUaR_V0DwlDacyCNB4z6ljq