1/72 Grumman F3F-2

This Special Hobby boxing of the F3F-2 was the first of my weekend completions. It was built straight from the box with a couple of scratch details such as the aerial tensioning spring, though looking at that detail now it is probably a tad over scale, I must use a smaller shank drill to wrap the wire around next time. :winkgrin:

Grumman F3F-2 Bu.No 0976

2-MF-7 USMC, VMF-2

46044288955_1280d10970_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

46044289835_e48e02066f_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

46044285245_76329d5056_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

46044291215_c0bd9980ff_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

46044290455_b6a25db517_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

46044290055_fdba371686_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

Holy smokes! That is beautiful. The rigging looks so delicate! Everything looks so clean and sharp. The photos are great too. 

I'm always tempted to get back to 1/72 aircraft when I see work like this, but mine never turn out this sharp. 

You sir, are a genius! 

• Like 1

Hi John,

absolutely amazing build, and my favorite period of naval aviation too! Brilliant!

Were the black borders to the true blue bands and chevron on the decal sheet, or did you have to paint them with the tongue sticking out under the mustache?

Congrats John! This is glorious!!!

JR

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi John,

absolutely amazing build, and my favorite period of naval aviation too! Brilliant!

Were the black borders to the true blue bands and chevron on the decal sheet, or did you have to paint them with the tongue sticking out under the mustache?

Congrats John! This is glorious!!!

JR 

Hi Jean,

Many thanks once again for your generous comment. The blue chevron, fuselage and cowling bands have all been brush painted, The borders for the fuselage and cowling are supplied in the kit, whilst those for the chevron came from the spares box. I had to hold my breath did stick my tongue though, just so that I could be sure that I got them on straight. :winkgrin:

I am enjoying the challenge of making bi-planes at the moment, and I am pleased that you like this result. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SoftScience said:

That is beautiful. The rigging looks so delicate!

Exactly what I thought...it's a bit of a struggle comprehending that it's only 1/72 scale, the finish is beautiful but the rigging is almost exquisite 😲

3 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Lovely job John B) 

Cheers,

Stew

2 hours ago, AeroNautique said:

Exactly what I thought...it's a bit of a struggle comprehending that it's only 1/72 scale, the finish is beautiful but the rigging is almost exquisite 😲

Thanks for your comments chaps.

I have rigged the model using fine thread from the Uschi van der Rosten range, not strictly correct because it should be flatter in cross section. I hope that the following image gives a better  sense of the overall size of the model. 

46370118541_e0ebcb8f32_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 3