ORP Krakowiak, IBG, 1:700

Gidday Mick, a very neat job on the breakwater/weather shield. I did the same on two 1/600 Abdiel class minelayers, but mine were nowhere near as good as yours. I didn't even try to do the vertical braces. Well done. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

Gidday Mick, another neat job, very consistent spacing between the vertical braces. Did you say 'paper'? I thought it was from styrene strips. If you don't mind me asking how did you glue them to the kit plastic? Regards, Jeff.

11 hours ago, Michael M said:

More toying with paper:

I did wonder as you didn't say how for the foward ones, very effective. As for securing them, i've been told CA and you stiffen the paper with CA too?

Nice to see what can be done with these 1/700 destroyers as I have a number of them.

Stuart

Well i call it PE substitute, in short ersatz :) It is just standard printer paper soaked with humbroll clear. CA makes it too stiff, plus it adds the thickness. But yes for some jobs CA is better solution. As for the spacing, I've just drawn the parts in Corel, printed them and then impregnated. After that it's simply cut out and glue to lines. As for glue I use cheap Chinese stuff called Brand Clear Glue, or BCG. It's waterbased stuff, sth like veery watered down PVA. I use it for PE as well actually. It's seamless and clear. If needed I add some CA to strengthen the bond in important spots.

Edited by Michael M
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 17/02/2019 at 21:47, Michael M said:

Well i call it PE substitute, in short ersatz :) It is just standard printer paper soaked with humbroll clear. 

And that Sir is an absolutely brilliant tip!!!

I have never heard of that and would have most likely have never thought of it myself. I can see this method finding its way to my Carpathia build! 👍👍👍

Thanks very much indeed!

• Like 1

Paper, Humbroll clear, and eyesight like a Hawk! Those breakwaters, as everyone has said, are spot on.

:goodjob:

Now which shelf of doom did I leave my Hunt on?

Geoff

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Fantastic work Mick and some great tips which I will unashamedly  steal!  Will watch your build with great interest 👍👍👍

Best wishes, Andy