That retro camouflaged Tonka

canberraman

With the Tornado retirement from RAF service looming, many enthusiasts of the Mighty Fin will have been delighted that the Marham Wing decided to decorate no less than 3 aircraft with commemorative markings. The most pleasing and eye catching of these being GR4 ZG752 which was unveiled in early January 2019 wearing the original dark green/dark sea grey wraparound camouflage as worn by the type during the 1980s and 90s. This particular airframe was painted and finished by Serco plc at Marham, and also featured along the spine, the 17 crests or badges of the various RAF sqns and units that operated the GR variant during its service career between 1982-2019.  An enthusiasts' event was held at RAF Marham on Jan 25th, where some of these photos were taken, which provided a rare and memorable opportunity to see this aircraft fly ahead of the planned retirement date of 31 March. The air to air shots were taken aboard a 101 Sqn Voyager over the Wash ARA.  Hope you like them, c&c always welcome.  Mark

edited-image_zpsacx2de6d.png

edited-image_zpsinsmqdjy.png

edited-image_zpspgefc4ul.png

edited-image_zps09ax2h2v.png

edited-image_zps7xaqmvib.png

edited-image_zpsmhr1ujpp.png

edited-image_zpsrn9tjxcd.png

edited-image_zpsadtoacyi.png

edited-image_zpsbw7yy7v9.png

edited-image_zps0jw8bsjp.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 6

20 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Absolutely beautiful as ever, Mark! It looks like the Voyager windows had more clarity than the VC-10's!

You 'd think they would be wouldn't you?! Unfortunately on the day we flew there has been a very hard frost so the aircraft was doused in ice removal agent which rather smeared the windows. So although not as badly scratched as those on the old Ten, it did take a lot of trial and error and a wide aperture setting to get a few clear shots.

Thanks all for the comments and likes.

Mark

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Britman said:

Fantastic photo`s Mark, thank you for sharing them with us. Is there any word as to the fate of 752 after all the dust as settled, given that the paint job looks like a very good one?

Keith

Keith

Many thanks for your kind words. Rumour has it that ZG752 will be preserved, and RAF Honington has been mentioned. Time will tell no doubt. I also understand the Op Shader detached aircraft are in the throes of returning back to the RAF Marham, so its possible that one or more of these combat veterans may also be saved. 

Mark

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Absolutely beautiful as ever, Mark! It looks like the Voyager windows had more clarity than the VC-10's!

Pretty sure they were hanging out the window to get that clear shot.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Beautiful Tornado, just as they should be. No plain grey nonsense.

Such a sad waste losing this vastly capable jet from our inventory. We really have shrunk to no more than an appendage of American power haven't we. Utterly disgraceful particularly how belligerent Russia is becoming again, and the continued threat of terrorism around the world. We should be strengthening our forces, not winding them down. 

Bloody well done and a huge thank you to all Tonka crews, past and present, some of whom paid the ultimate price keeping our freedom. 

• Like 1

Oh I don't know lord riot ok it isn't quite a cold war levels but with a fleet of 160 typhoons and  an eventual 148 F35s I would say that isn't to bad....depends how you measure it.

Precision is how bombs are delivered  now you don't always need 1000lb ballistic or retarded iron bomb when a guided weapon less explosives and fired stand off is the way things are going...plus there is RPAS.

Things change...I know it's not brilliant....I bang my head everyday...but it's never been brilliant.

Tbh if you had 500 fast jets who's going to fix em....sorry

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

@Lord Riot there’s only 17 left currrntly, and there a bugger to keep flying, it’s time has come 

Bear in mind that OC IX's aircraft lost hydraulics shortly after landing, and he and his Nav (OC 31) returned to the flight line via a minibus while some linies sighed and headed off for what certainly isn't the first time and probably won't quite be the last to retrieve the jet...

• Like 1

You sure they only sighed....seem to remember greenies swearing alot on the line at deci in the 80s and the early 90s .Daft days in Decimomanu with the mighty shar....still got my exploding brain 17 squadron bombhead t shirt 😁

3 hours ago, XV107 said:

Bear in mind that OC IX's aircraft lost hydraulics shortly after landing, and he and his Nav (OC 31) returned to the flight line via a minibus while some linies sighed and headed off for what certainly isn't the first time and probably won't quite be the last to retrieve the jet...

• 2 weeks later...