Eurofighter Typhoon FGR.4 - RAF Display Team 2015

One of two builds that I completed over the weekend. This one had been sitting on the shelf of shame for a little while and was one of my entries for the KUTA GB in November. It has been brush painted with both enamels and acrylic paints and I used the Xtradecal RAF Update 2013 - 2015 set for the scheme. 

Eurofighter Typhoon FGR.4

ZK353/BQ, RAF 29(F) Squadron, RAF Coningsby

flown by

Flight Lieutenant Jonny Dowen

40019342023_3f8f2c82f1_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

40019341353_46bb5493be_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

32042676257_9ba2122196_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

40019341203_192716e4dc_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

40019341563_6ff3deb6b7_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

40019341933_69861a3cfe_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

32030762937_a40f7a4d1a_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 18

Hi John,

it has been a long time since I last admired one of your builds!

This one is no exception, and I assume that the 5 liter pot of Humbrol enamel, this is 1/32 scale. Absolutely smashing, and that is from someone who is not overly fond of anniversary liveries...

Great show!

I do hope all is fine with you, Caron and the furry monster!

Keep having fun!

JR

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi John,

it has been a long time since I last admired one of your builds!

This one is no exception, and I assume that the 5 liter pot of Humbrol enamel, this is 1/32 scale. Absolutely smashing, and that is from someone who is not overly fond of anniversary liveries...

Great show!

I do hope all is fine with you, Caron and the furry monster!

Keep having fun!

JR

Hi Jean,

It's nice to hear from you again, and thanks for your kind comment. I think that last time we were in touch Karen was about to give her talk to the RGS, I hope that it went well.

If you think that the tin of paint is large, then you should see the size of the brush that came with it. :winkgrin:

We are all fit and well here, Caron is now working three days per week with a view to pestering me full time when she finishes school in July. Molly has been 'confined to barracks' for a few weeks,, but we should be out for walks together later in the week. Hope that everything is OK there and that the poaching isn't too bad.

John

1 hour ago, Modelling Padre said:

Really great looking model. I have one to build, how easy or otherwise is it to put together?

Simon 

Thanks Simon. This 1/144th kit is a little gem to put together it requires a bit of care around the intake where I needed a smear of filler. The wing roots also needed a light sanding to remove a slight step, but that was probably due to careless assembly on my part, and there are a couple of sink marks that need to be sorted. Fortunately the joins fall along panel lines so rescribing is kept to a minimum. You may wish to fill and re-scribe a bit of the detail on the 1000L tanks, some of which is incorrectly positioned or missing, but I didn't bother for this build.

I used the kit stencils but good references are essential to ascertain the correct placement, and when I build my next one I will probably leave off the more Hi-Viz ones. If you are thinking of using the Xtradecal set then be aware that the centenary dates for this scheme are incorrect in size, with the number given being that for one of the Tornado's in the set.

You can find more details of my build here, and as you can see, it makes up into a really nice model. HTH

23 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Hi Jean,

It's nice to hear from you again, and thanks for your kind comment. I think that last time we were in touch Karen was about to give her talk to the RGS, I hope that it went well.

If you think that the tin of paint is large, then you should see the size of the brush that came with it. :winkgrin:

We are all fit and well here, Caron is now working three days per week with a view to pestering me full time when she finishes school in July. Molly has been 'confined to barracks' for a few weeks,, but we should be out for walks together later in the week. Hope that everything is OK there and that the poaching isn't too bad.

John

Hi again John,

first and foremost, I do hope you are wrong, as the RGS talk of Karen was in November 2017! I cannot believe that is the last time we got in touch!

In case you are right, god forbid, everything went splendidly well, with a very big audience and Karen's talk was fantastically well received!The highlight of my holiday was of course the RAF Museum and a long, expensive visit to Hannant's nearby. This type of neighborhood should be forbidden!!!

Here poaching is under control (to the best of our ability!) but the rains to date have not been good at all... So let's hope no drought points its ugly nose around in our neck of the wood!

You are right to save money by buying 5 liter pots of model paints and using a paint roller. This is no doubt the future!

And relax, July is still a long way away!

JR

• Like 1