1/144 Authentic Airliners British Airways L1011 TriStar

This is the latest and largest of my ongoing project to model all of the BA Negus fleet.

It is the Authentic Airliners kit with livery from 26 Decals windows, windscreen and natural metal from Authentic Airliners Decals.

Paint is Halfords Appliance White and Racking Grey. The blue belly is a mix of 4 parts Tamiya X3 Royal Blue to 1 part Tamiya X16 Purple.

The sun came out today so I was able to take a few pics.

46930718422_21ecc92792_o.jpg

33107203918_a172493270_o.jpg

40018113383_c94d002479_o.jpg

33107203568_c93200d3d5_o.jpg

33107204298_c14675a9b0_o.jpg

46930718982_38cc05879f_o.jpg

33107203158_7aea004948_o.jpg

Thanks for looking and I hope you like it!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 42
  • Thanks 3

That is absolutely magnificent Ian. Thanks for sharing

It's the first built Authentic Airliners Tristar I've seen and you've certainly done justice to Kurt's beautiful kit. I hope it has metal undercarriage legs - it must be quite a weight!

Any plans for a Negus 747?

Dave G

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Viking said:

Wait till Chris sees it!

John

Mrs Stringbag caught me drooling over this one and thought I was watching a mucky movie.

Wonderful result Ian.  Can't be many more left to complete in the Negus scheme but I agree with Dave that a 747 would be rather nice.

All the best

Chris.

• Haha 1

That is wonderful Ian,....... it looks like a real one! 

I got to know the Timmy quite well while posted to Brize and it really does look like the real thing, especially around the cockpit,........amazing work.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I really appreciate it!

4 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

It's the first built Authentic Airliners Tristar I've seen and you've certainly done justice to Kurt's beautiful kit. I hope it has metal undercarriage legs - it must be quite a weight!

Any plans for a Negus 747?

Thanks Dave, now you come to mention it I don't think I have seen any others either. It's a beautiful kit that just falls together but then again we've come to expect nothing less from Kurt! Yes the main gear is brass but strangely the nose gear is resin. I've just weighed it and it's 500g!

Regarding a Negus 747, it's definitely on the cards I have the decals and a Revell 747-8 freighter ready for converting but I'll need some Bra.Z engines first. Or I might splash out on one of AA's 747-200's but build it as a -100.

1 hour ago, Viking said:

That is the best looking Tristar I've seen Ian, absolutely superb.

Wow, thank you John! But it really does help when you start off with an AA kit. I've still got two EE TriStars in the loft so we'll see how I do with those. One will be Saudia and the other perhaps Gulf Air or Air Canada, then again I quite fancy a Cathay Pacific one. Too many choices!

48 minutes ago, stringbag said:

Wonderful result Ian.  Can't be many more left to complete in the Negus scheme

Cheers Chris! Well I've just counted up and so far I've completed 9 with another 2 on the go so I think I'm almost there. Then I'll have to start on all the variations like TriStar 500, Viscount 700, a few more Tridents, Standard VC10 etc. I think I'll be doing this for years yet!!

19 minutes ago, tonyot said:

it really does look like the real thing, especially around the cockpit,........amazing work.

Thanks Tony, well that's what you get with an Authentic Airliners kit!

12 minutes ago, Modelling Padre said:

Will add your recipe for the blue mix to my model notebook.

Yes Simon I'm quite new to Tamiya paints and apart from being able to mix up a perfect Negus blue (IMHO) they're really lovely paints to work with. Easy to spray and they dry very fast to a nice tough finish. Plus they're easy to find!

Anyway I'm glad everyone likes it:D

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 2

That's another absolutely stunning model Ian, lovely work! Beautifully photographed again too!

Can I ask, when you say natural metal is Authentic Airlines decals, does that include the engine nacelles - because if it does you got it to lay down brilliantly - I'd be happy if I could get paint to look anywhere near that smooth!

Superb Tristar!

keith

23 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Can I ask, when you say natural metal is Authentic Airlines decals, does that include the engine nacelles - because if it does you got it to lay down brilliantly - I'd be happy if I could get paint to look anywhere near that smooth!

Hi Keith,

Yes I used the metallic decal on the nacelles. The only paint on the engines is Halfords Racking Grey for the rear of the pylon and aluminium on the intake rim other than that it's all decal.

I have found that by applying it one panel at a time the decal conforms very nicely. I do use hot water, micro sol and spend time smoothing it out with a soft brush but it's amazing how it conforms. When it's first applied you don't think it will ever lay down but it does! 

Many thanks for all the comments everybody!

Cheers,

Ian

• Thanks 1

Absolutely superb, wonderful piece of nostalgia, great job.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Cheers Michael.

27 minutes ago, michael301757 said:

Absolutely superb, wonderful piece of nostalgia, great job.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Cheers Michael.

Thank you Michael!