B-17 Flying Fortress GR MkII 'Hekla Hettie' 251 (MET) Sqn, 1944/45

Here's my entry over on the B-17 STGB.

Based on the academy B-17E Boxing to obtain the correct nose side glazing, realised I had to add an astrodome as well.

'Kitsworld' decals were used, but I did a bit of research and came up with photo's showing 'Hettie' with no upper turret and upper scheme extending over the cowlings, also a different spacing and layout of the Codes. It also seems as if the leading edges of the main-wings/tail weren't black.

Anyway, this is my interpretation and I'm sticking to it!

The decals, by the way, went on really well and reacted well to Micro Set/Sol.

Paint was Ultimate White Primer, then Vallejo ModelAir RLM21 white.  Xtracrylics were used for the EDSG/Dark Slate Grey upperworks.

The excessive main-wing dihedral was an easy fix with 15 thou plasticard shimming, attaching the bottom halves first there was no gap on the bottom, just the top to fill in a bit.

I didn't improve or correct the air/oil cooler intakes, apologies to the B-17 Buffs out there.

I used QuickBoost cowlings and engines, not sure if the cowlings were much better than the kit parts, but the engines looked better.

As I ruined the Pavla Vacformed nose piece I had, which fitted not to bad, I ended up using a nose glazing out of the Revell kit, which isn't the same shape towards the bottom, but it'll do until I come up with something else, or fair-in the academy nose to suit!

DSC_0006DSC_0011DSC_0016DSC_0015DSC_0018DSC_0019DSC_0025

These close ups show loads of faults!

When using a toothpick to clean up the paint leakage onto the windows the rear most one was pushed in, so I just left it!  I may obtain some crystal clear and try that next time.

As usual (for me!) a bit rushed at the end due to my impatience, but I'm overall fairly pleased with the result and in terms of hours wasn't a long build, just felt like it!

Comments and Critique welcome.

Davey.

• Like 36

It came out looking great, especially in that scheme, so all your time and effort paid off.  Nice fix for the dihedral!  It looks like you masked off the clear parts.  What did you use?  I usually use Eduard kabuki masks (similar to Tamiya tape) or, if no aftermarket is available for my kit simply cut my own using Tamiya tape, and can't think of an instance where I had the paint leak under. 

Cheers,

Mark

6 hours ago, Mark Joyce said:

It came out looking great, especially in that scheme, so all your time and effort paid off.  Nice fix for the dihedral!  It looks like you masked off the clear parts.  What did you use?  I usually use Eduard kabuki masks (similar to Tamiya tape) or, if no aftermarket is available for my kit simply cut my own using Tamiya tape, and can't think of an instance where I had the paint leak under. 

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark. I used strips of Tamiya tape for masking. At the end of the day it was my own doing regarding the faults with the build, when I was applying the masking, a couple of times I managed to push in some of the small transparencies. Normally I don't have much leakage with masking.

I'm going to get some Maskol, or Krystal Klear to try for the small windows on an upcoming Revell Halifax build.

Davey.