1914 Mercedes French Grand Prix - 1/16th Lindberg

Frogeye

I've started the very basic Lindberg kit and have so far spent two weeks converting the artillery wheels to spokes. I am now struggling to find the detail for the linkage of the suspension to the front and rear springs. Can anyone out there point me in the direction of some reference photos? I have lots of general shots but cannot find detailed ones. Grateful for any assistance.

Thanks Roy. The stills from the vid are really useful. I had seen it but it was before I was looking for suspension detail. Its a shame that there's not more of the rear detail. I'll have a go at making something up.

I am struggling with Photobucket at the moment but this is where I am at the minute. Long way to go!

I knew I might find advice and expertise on here. Thanks again.

DSC_1040%20small_zpslslril9c.jpg

2 hours ago, Frogeye said:

Its a shame that there's not more of the rear detail. I'll have a go at making something up.

You could try sending an e-mail to Revs Institute. Their second-to-none quality collection includes one of these Mercedes Grand Prix cars. 

They are very friendly folks, I went there to measure and photograph the Delage 15-S-8. I think they would be willing to take a photograph for you. 

Meanwhile I'd guess the front / aft suspension mountings could be similar. 

See also the next video... the first 6 minutes repeatedly shows views of the front- and rear suspension. Pausing the video at the right times might give you the visuals you need. At 11:45 minutes you see the front suspension in action. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

I followed your advice Roy and contacted the Revs Institute who were very helpful. I received 4 close up photos of the rear suspension by return email. Thanks for the suggestion. 

So I am in the process of making up the first trial version. I've also thickened up the brake drum and made up the brake lever . The centre of the top shock absorber unit will be covered by a cover. It might look better when it's primed. 

Only the other three wheels to do.

rear%20suspension%201_zpsn0smnirb.jpg

rear%20suspension%202_zps2qhpct0s.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress. I have started to extend the rear bodywork and modify the shape of the inset fuel tank. I'm using plasticard for the body panels and milliput and car body filler for blending and shaping.

I'm also starting to use Flickr rather than photobucket so I hope this works.

33304047478_e6e1768a73_b.jpg220219

Edited by Frogeye
trying to get photo to post
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I have been concentrating on the interior cockpit. Making up the button back seats in milliput and constructing the front firewall with steering column support and foot pedals.  Also primed the chassis rails but this still needs some more sanding. Still it's moving forward. Here's a few pics (hopefully).

46569929094_a236e94f8e_b.jpg

33417497158_de0b945dd0_b.jpg

46569928234_aa490108b2_b.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the encouragement folks.

I managed to get some paint onto the re-spoked wheels and thought I would have a trial assembly of the rolling chassis. I had to trim down some of the axle stubs but eventually I got them to fit. Also wanted to see whether the cockpit interior would sit OK. I think the metal tank on the floor is for oil and the two clock type keys protruding through the hole are for adjusting the rear and transmission brakes.

47428748162_d06b484a72_b.jpg

32539626887_c15f25a4d0_b.jpg

47428747712_ca49a50639_b.jpg

I have now started to look at the engine. This is the item that comes in the kit.

47485488121_3fb097b911_b.jpg

And this is what it should look like

46762178584_5e4aed8ded_b.jpg

Don't know yet whether I'll be able to find a way to open the body panels to be able to see it but it seems a shame not to. I might need some advice on decent metal paints for the copper and brass when I get that far.

• Like 5

Great progress so far!

For metal paints, I highly rate the AK interactive Xtreme Metal range. It's incredibly durable, so handling the parts afterwards isn't an issue, unlike Alclad, which rubs off as soon as you look at it.

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress to report.

I started work on the front grill. It needed the Mercedes three pointed stars adding. The first one was carved and shaped from milliput and a simple silicone putty mould made (in blue).  Two stars were then cast in resin and fitted.

46570254585_d34f1c5416_c.jpg

I managed to fine some suitable mesh for the grill protector which was added together with a fine wire frame. The correct radiator filler cap was carved from milliput on the end of a styrene tube and trial fitted.

47491577432_60ccf57688_b.jpg

I was a bit disappointed that the tyres in the kit have no tread pattern. I thought slicks a bit early for 1914. So I managed to find a tyre tread image on the internet and made a set of decals. Not perfect but a bit more presentable.

47491577152_20d84654f8_b.jpg

Also started work on the fly screen. Carved from plasticard and with a fine metal mesh insert. I think the paint will need to be fine for this.

47491576822_11736852c1_b.jpg

Edited by Frogeye
  • Like 7

Coming along very nicely. The brake and gear lever are a huge improvement. I need to take a look at those on my SSKL, I have a feeling similar corrections will be necessary.

Ian