Flying bicycle half-scratchbuild 1/72nd

What do you get when you combine two of the most efficient and successful machines?
A failure for many decades with some degree of accomplishment (in a rather different guise) at the end (the known gossamer machines and similar "pedaling apparatus").
The remains of Flying Bicycles have littered for years the paths of aviation history.
Whatever they managed to get airborne (or not), you can't deny their charm.
A friend showed my a photo and I replicated it for him combining a modified photo-etched kit of a bicycle and some scratched elements.

The completed model is here:

As simple as they may sound, I guarantee you it wasn't. The P.E. bicycle lacked a bit rigidity (too thin gauge) and the spokes -the only real let down of the "kit"- detached at the least provocation not being properly secured to the rim, making things not particularly cheerful.

A couple of very delicate parts (wheel mudguards) were already bent in the pouch, possible done while sliding the fret in at factory.
Still, here it is:

IMG_2062+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_2063+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_2064+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Now it only needs priming and painting before final assembly and the addition of a couple details:

IMG_2065+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Edited by Moa
  • Like 15

Great work Moa and the standard of lunacy is up there with BM's finest. You hereby qualify to take part in my SM.79 thread, I can do you no greater honour.

Martian 👽

PS: How did you go about the wings? I really like the translucent effect.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Great work Moa and the standard of lunacy is up there with BM's finest. You hereby qualify to take part in my SM.79 thread, I can do you no greater honour.

Martian 👽

PS: How did you go about the wings? I really like the translucent effect.

Oh, Martian, I salute you! may you live long and prosper, may your number of eyes never decrease. I am surprised you are not familiar with that material, simple condensed light sheet from planet K-Pax.

Quite pliable.*

Regarding the invitation, who could refuse such great honour!

I have built 3 civil of them, I think I have already posted 2 here, may have another somewhere to contribute.

Where is the link to such magnificent gathering of creatures from all corners of the galaxy?

*Here on Earth translucent Polyshrink (a bakeable plastic sheet used to make trinkets) will do.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Martian from the planet Mars (named after the god of war):

I would have preferred your planet to be named Marsh, in honor of the god Marshmallow.

Your build is nothing less than spectacular and it's a pleasure to see your very fine work, let me be if not the the first, at least not the last to congratulate you in such extraordinary build, for which no praise is enough.

But I encourage you to divert the extraordinary dexterity and sinisterity of your tentacles to more civilized endeavors given that, alas, I do not partake in bellicose enterprises; you see, in the Shaolin Modeling Monastery we all make a vote to be peaceful.

That does not detract at all for the utter magnificence of your work, nor from the witty and educated participation of your distinguished audience.

I thought you were referring to some group build or information request thread.

Some S.79 were racers and passenger carriers.

But I have sinned plenty in my rather unhinged youth, so I understand.

When you reach maturity (I believe that for the average Martian that is around two millennia) and you become a more understanding adult, you may see the error of your ways.

I salute you with the mandatory flapping of the wings we avians grant as a great honor.

Cheers

Edited by Moa
  • Haha 1