Bristol Blenheim Mk.V details, schemes and info

phat trev

Starting a conversion of the ‘new’ 1/72 Airfix Blenheim IV very soon (using MPM V parts)  so swotting up on details of this rather ugly (in my view) but curious Mk.V bomber version of this aircraft. Having got hold of a few pieces of info - squadron signal and warpaint books- Hoping others here might aid in sharing any knowledge of the type, therefore I have a few questions below.

Schemes? Having found evidence of RAF desert and Helenic scheme use (some great builds already found here and on the www) I am wondering and hoping that the Mk.V would have been produced in any other RAF schemes. I have read already that this Blenheim was used in a number of training and testing capacities (including training Mosquito crews)

Interior? This odd looking nose arrangement, Am I right to think this was due to the introduction of more armour? Would the inside of the nose/ nav compartment look similar or match the Mk.IV?

Was the nose turret detachable? 

Did the type have a life in the RAF post WW2?

Cheers PT

• Like 1

Classic Airframes kit also includes an example in India. The Osprey book, Blenheim Squadrons of WW2 has a few desert schemes and the Greek ‘coastal command’ style scheme. There are also some photos of other SEAC blenheim V’s in there. I’m actually working on Classic Airframes kit right now alongside the Airfix Blenheim MkI. 

I have done quite a few Blenheim Mk.V`s and if it helps here are some of my posts;

Good luck with your model,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks. There are some good schemes and wonderful build too. Discovered that Mk.Vs were delivered to 139 Squadron RAF (Horsham St Faith, June 1942) for only a few months until they were replaced by Mosquitos, the Mk.V was heavy and not suited according to the Air Ministry! 139 Sqn look to be a Pathfinder Squadron? so guessing the new Blenheims would share a similar scheme to the later Mosquitos?

Edited by phat trev

139 didn't become a Pathfinder unit until later (1943?).  They did have Blenheim Vs when re-formed in June '42, and the ORB mentions them being flown into November, but not operationally.  They also had Mosquito IVs within a couple of months, and used borrowed ones for the initial (limited) ops.

• Like 1

I would assume normal day bomber colours, Dark Green and Dark Earth over Sky.  With the possibility of some having Night undersides, at least as a distemper.  This is what was usual for the preceding Blenheims and (initially) the following Mosquitos.  Some of the preceding Blenheim Mk.IVs had the Temperate Sea Scheme, but I think that the Hurribombers had taken over Channel Stop operations by the time of the Mk.V Blenheim.

• Like 1