Hard edge 3 colour tank camo - how to.

phlarris

Greetings, pretty recently back to the 1/35 tank building arena. Got myself an airbrush and a few tanks under my belt...

However, I’d like to have a go at a 3 colour hard edge camo. I’ve seen various photos of models with Blutac and putty all over them in strange patterns. Does anyone have any guidance on how to do it, especially avoiding overspray when you’ve got the first 2 colours on.

Many thanks in advance...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

You can try Tamiya tape to mark out the hard edges, then fill in space with tape or blutac. If the camo is curvy you can cut the Tamiya tape, or try the thin Tamiya tape for curves. Other companies make both types of tapes of course.

Paint the first color, mask, second color, mask, then third. Overspray should not be an issue because the previous colors are still masked.

For the order of colors to paint I've seen lightest first to darkest (for coverage considerations), and I've also seen least to most (color with smallest amount of area first) to minimize masking. 

I would highly suggest trying on a testbed or scrap first, to see if the colors affect each other. 

Good luck!

Many thanks for that. I have finally started. I've gone with Panzer Putty, as a friend lent it to me. Seems pretty good, and enabled me to get a wavy pattern on the barrel... 

As I say, far from perfect, but a decent start...

This place is great. I've got a Zvezda Terminator 2 to do and was wondering how to tackle the 3 colours. Bit different for me as it's all straight edges on the camo so I'll use tape to mask.

Gives me a view on light to dark. 

That link on the Tiger is good too.

18 hours ago, Shin said:

@phlarris, that looks great! A slight warning in using putty or blu-tac for such things is that you may get a feathered or soft edge, which is why tape is recommended for hard edge camo. 

Thanks for that. Just need to find the time to do the chassis now.

I have found the Panzer Putty to be great. One thing I've found is that if you leave it a little while (10ish mins), then it finds its own level, leaving you with really good sharp edges. I'm not sure how it will work over the PE engine grills though...