1/48 English Electric Lightning F1

One of the facebook groups I'm in is having a group build, and finally a theme that I can sneak a Lightning in to (Early Cold War 1947 to 1960). So in my Decal stash I found markings for an Air Fighting Development Squadron Lightning F1, which I found references to for September 1960, so I'm doing that. I've never done a group build, and usually it takes me forever to complete something, but this Lightning scheme is overall bare metal, so not too much masking on the paint scheme to worry about, so maybe I can knock this out in time. Thought I'd try anyway, and post the progress here.

So anyhoo, some starting pics. I'm using the Airfix kit of course, and augmenting it with a True Details cockpit set (wrong instrument panel for an F1, but a) bite me and b) no one will see it anyway, other than on here). :D

DSC_0382%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

Decent seat

DSC_0390%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

Dry fitting the tub

DSC_0391%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

I like to glue the rear bulkhead in, without the jet pipes. I use the jet pipes to get the bulkhead aligned right, but this means I can slide the jet pipes in right at the end of the build, after all the paintwork and decaling is complete. Makes painting the jet pipes easy peasy!

DSC_0392%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

Just stuff. Fitting cockpit bits and bobs.

DSC_0393%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0394%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0395%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

And priming............

DSC_0396%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0397%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0398%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

Got a bit of a dry brushing and weathering session coming up. Early mark Lightnings had black cockpits, which I find jolly difficult to make look interesting.

Thanks for stopping in.

Edited by propforward
speling
  • Like 14

Good start and an excellent subject choice. Dry-brushing on various layers of gradually lighter greys will make that cockpit detail pop.

Which decal sheet are you using? I did an AFDS Lightning F.1 using the Model Alliance sheet and found the nose bars too large so had to trim them down.

• Thanks 1

In my decal bank I have the Model Alliance set and a Cutting Edge set that have decals for this version. I thought the same as you - the MA set doesn't look right. I think the Cutting Edge set is printed better, but I'll basically pick from the two sheets when I get to that point.

One slightly maddening thing - I haven't found anyone that makes aftermarket early style Lightning wheels, as used on P1B and F1. I wish there were some. Although happily I found a photo of this bird with the later wheels on, so that's cool, but I'd love to get some of those wheels for this and a couple of other builds.

Thanks for the tip on the weathering, I'll try that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, propforward said:

In my decal bank I have the Model Alliance set and a Cutting Edge set that have decals for this version. I thought the same as you - the MA set doesn't look right. I think the Cutting Edge set is printed better, but I'll basically pick from the two sheets when I get to that point.

One slightly maddening thing - I haven't found anyone that makes aftermarket early style Lightning wheels, as used on P1B and F1. I wish there were some. Although happily I found a photo of this bird with the later wheels on, so that's cool, but I'd love to get some of those wheels for this and a couple of other builds.

Thanks for the tip on the weathering, I'll try that.

Sounds as if you've got it all covered for the decals :D  While searching out images for my own project I eventually found one which confirmed the nose bars on my particular subject and it seems these were applied later in the aircraft's service with AFDS at the same time as a set of 'standard' wheels as every other image showed it without the bars and the early type slotted wheels.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Spent a little time on the cockpit. Reasonably pleased with it. Having trouble taking pictures though - need to learn more about this macro focus lens, and get more in focus in one go. In lieu of that, here is a bunch of pictures to try and give you the idea.

DSC_0401%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0402%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0404%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0405%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0408%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0410%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0411%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0413%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0415%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

And then there's filling sink holes.

DSC_0429%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

• Like 8

Looking good so far mate, particularly impressed with that cockpit !, I'm also building a Lightning F Mk1 from Sword for the same GB although mines in braille scale so not quite the same level of detail as yours

Regards Simon

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, propforward said:

Spent a little time on the cockpit. Reasonably pleased with it. Having trouble taking pictures though - need to learn more about this macro focus lens, and get more in focus in one go. In lieu of that, here is a bunch of pictures to try and give you the idea.

DSC_0401%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0402%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0404%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0405%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0408%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0410%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0411%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0413%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0415%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

And then there's filling sink holes.

DSC_0429%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

Looks really good to me. I tend to paint the controls with the same colour, it never crossed my mind that some controls would be in different colours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Major Eazy said:

Looks really good to me. I tend to paint the controls with the same colour, it never crossed my mind that some controls would be in different colours.

Looking at some cockpit pics, I saw a few knobs and switches in different colours - but actually not very many. So what I have done is not really accurate - but on the other hand doesn't look terrible, so I'll go with it. I think I basically wanted to just try and make it interesting. The colours stand out a heck of a lot more than I expected.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, propforward said:

Looking at some cockpit pics, I saw a few knobs and switches in different colours - but actually not very many. So what I have done is not really accurate - but on the other hand doesn't look terrible, so I'll go with it. I think I basically wanted to just try and make it interesting. The colours stand out a heck of a lot more than I expected.

I also saw some cockpits having some controls in different colours, but I never really thought about painting model cockpits with few controls in different colours. I guess, considering that many of my friends are not into aircraft and not into model kits, they would see my model kit, take one look and say "Wow! That's good." so maybe that's the reason why I usually just paint all the controls with one same colour, since nobody is going to look closer.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sig226 said:

Looking good so far mate, particularly impressed with that cockpit !, I'm also building a Lightning F Mk1 from Sword for the same GB although mines in braille scale so not quite the same level of detail as yours

Regards Simon

That's going to be a beautiful bird too. Looking forward to the finished article.

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely detail work, when you look at these early jets like this you realise how small the cockpit must have been, now looking at the F35 which seems to have a cockpit the pilot could get up and walk around in 🙂

• Like 1

Thanks chaps! Hoping for a full day of scale modelling tomorrow. Had to work today. Bummer, but a better day ahead. I picked up some metaslic and grey shade pencils - looking to see if I can vary things a little more. 

FWIW i think the cockpit looks good so far. TBH, i don't know how much will be really visible...even with the canopy open.

Not sure if anyone else suggested this, but for your next "Black Cockpit" project, you could substitute a very dark gray or something like Tamiya Nato Black for the base colour, then go over it with a wash of 50% water, 50% Future, and tinted with regular Tamiya Flat Black. I find it adds a nice contrast to things like Ejection Seats, which are often Black, Dark Dreen, Olive Drab...and black.

-d-

• Like 1

That's a good idea, I'll try that next time.

I don't know how much will be visible - plan is to open the canopy, but even then what you can see is minimal, but I wanted to try the techniques for an ongoing improvement effort. I think the detail adds more interest.

Edited by propforward

• 7 months later...

It's been a long time since I was at the bench - summer, stuff to do and what not, so this never made it in to the group build. Oh well.

Never mind though, back at it. My scale modelling life at the moment is just a world of filling and sanding.

IMG_5123%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

IMG_5124%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

IMG_5125%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

IMG_5127-XL.jpg

Seems like there is a filler for every occasion. ON the plus side, sprue goo is working well to get the fuselage joint evened out and hidden, and after a bit of re scribing I'll be ready to add wings, tail and nose cone, and move closer to painting.

• Like 3