Airfix 1/76 Cromwell IV on Scammel Tank Transporter

JeroenS

On 17/03/2019 at 19:08, flashlight said:

Great work so far! Keep it up, I am looking forward to see this finished!

Thanks, well I guess that makes two of us 😉 

At least I have the wheels ready for paint, and they're looking pretty smooth. 

20200207174024-48105e1e-me.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Yorkshire man said:

Bet you're feeling 'tyred' after all that cleaning up !

:work:

Haha... Well, to be honest, it took a lot of sanding, and since the wheels are quite small and my hands not so very much, the muscles in my hands are actually a little sore today! 🙂 

Small update. This afternoon it was lovely warm & dry weather, and since I have to spray in the shed it was the first time in months that I could employ my airbrush. I took advantage and painted 14 wheels rubber black. 

20200207174025-76eb4221-me.jpg

And the tractor and trailer got a red brown over flat black basecoat. 

20200207174024-b5f63b07-me.jpg

I was also able to clear coat the lot, and before painting I added scratch built "track guiding thingies" to the trailer.

20200207174025-259bb583-me.jpg 

These will make sure the Cromwell stays on board! And some chains of course, that I still need to acquire. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm a little behind on updates so here goes. Tractor and trailer have been painted olive green after a coat of chipping fluid on the red brown base. I usually brush the Vallejo paint but this time I used the airbrush as I've found that the brush painting tends to activate the chipping stuff too early. It was the first time I airbrushed with Vallejo, the airbrush only clogged once so I guess that wasn't bad. I've started weathering the trailer, chipping the green paint and adding some washes. This is the current status. 

20200207174026-2d64217a-me.jpg

I'm reasonably happy so far. It needs more colour variation and some texture. 

I finished the wheels. I get a little itchy when doing something more than a couple of times, but I kept my cool and made it. And anyway, 14 wheels is nothing compared to the huge amounts of road wheels and track links I see on other builds here so I really have nothing to complain about 🙂 

20200207174025-c6752bf3-me.jpg

20200207174025-6d9e4dba-me.jpg

I'm happy with how they turned out, although I noticed a couple of them haven't emerged completely round from the sanding process... I'll have to take some care when glueing them in place.

Thanks for watching. 

• Like 5

The tractor unit is complete, I added some more bits and pieces like the fuel tank filler, 2 cable "rollers" on the back and that round tubular thing in front of the fifth (well, seventh) wheel. Oh, I still need a mirror, come to think of it. But that's it. Now the next thing is to make it look less green.  It's a fun little build, I like how it's coming together. 

20200207174026-68003fb6-me.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, it's been a while since I last updated this one. I was kept busy with other projects, had to finish a build for my sister's birthday over in the vehicle section. Anyway as far as parts go the tractor and trailer are finished. The last couple of parts, namely the wheel nuts, were a bit tedious because of flash (sometimes more flash than part) and because the holes for the axle ends were way off center in some cases. Looking at the pictures I took this evening I see that I need to do something about the front left wheel nut, it looks a bit silly now. 

I coated the combination with a bit of dust to take the shine off. 

20200207174026-0e5b8e13-me.jpg 

I do have a slight issue, maybe someone could give some advice on that. There should be a rope, or chain, following the red line to fasten the ramp in the upright position. 

20200207174030-e21ac9a2-me.jpg

However, as you can see here, the tank is actually a bit wider than the trailer. 

20200207174027-de338450-me.jpg

Attaching the chain like "red" would mean that it would touch the tank. I don't think that's what would normally happen so I'm thinking about attaching a chain like the blue line. It is what you see on modern trucks, but would it be weird in this case? 

• Like 6

A truly excellent build, sir! Marvellous to see this model appear; I built it as a child back in umm….. well a long time ago. Good to see you adding bits and pieces, the overall look is beautiful.

Cheers

Andrew

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, geofftrash said:

Ha! Some nice 1:1 scale modelling going on there 🙂

Thanks for the pic, that's looking vaguely familiar! No overhang on the tank's tracks though, as in my 1/76 version. Hm... I'll see what I can do to get this look, because it does look rather nice like this.

• 1 month later...

I have the Scammel back on the bench, it's been a while. In the meantime I have acquired some extra stuff. A nice chain, tow ropes and hooks and shackles which are still underway. I've also been looking for reference material and have added bits and pieces to the trailer. 

I've added stays to the ramps. They are not in the correct place but it's not possible to get it right without taking it apart and modifying other parts of the trailer, which I'm not prepared to do. I think it's ok like this. 

20200207174028-5e74f441-me.jpg

I've also added two pulleys to the front of the trailer so I can loop the wire through them more or less correctly from the tractor to the tank. 

20200207174028-83419493-me.jpg

And, I've been fiddling to fit lengths of chain to the tow hooks on the rear of the tank. These chains will be fitted crosswise to the corresponding hooks on the trailer. 

20200207174027-389f97c7-me.jpg

The front of the tank is connected to the cable from the tractor via more pulleys and a towing block which should look something like this: 

20200207174029-9a513469.jpg

I'm curious to find out how my version will look 😉 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hi all, last week I received the white metal shackles, so I could make the towing yoke which I did today. It was fun to make, I think it looks decent enough. 

20200207174028-0b6c3bdc-me.jpg

And with the shackles and chains it's just about ready to be attached to the front of the Cromwell.

20200207174029-4a812c3e-me.jpg

Next up is a pulley that is attached to the center shackle. The chains will be attached to the transporter, crosswise. Slowly but surely it's getting there. 

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, today I chained the Cromwell to the transporter. It was fiddly but with a couple of deep breaths every now and then I managed to keep the blood pressure down. Earlier, I made a pulley which I connected to the towing yoke on one end and a cable on the other. The cable wheel is a bit too far off to the side so I'm not completely happy with the way the cable runs but all in all it's good enough for me. The chains are fastened crosswise to the transporter, front and back. It's just about done now. 

20200207174029-9fa0c89e-me.jpg 

20200207174029-ae2900c8-me.jpg

• Like 7