Viscount 'British Midland' -1:144 S&M Models

Viscount 'British Midland'

1:144 S&M Models, classic-airlines.com decals, and 26 decals detail sheet.

bm4.jpg

This is the last of my three S&M Viscount kits, so now I'll have to get some more! I have made the same mods to the kit as on the other two, these are basically:

1) Reshape the too blunt nose, building it up with Milliput.

2) Reshape the cockpit 'dome' by sanding to a more rounded shape.

3) Thin all the trailing edges of wing, tailplanes, and rudder.

4) Shorten the noseleg to fix the 'nose high' sit of the model.

5) Thin all the prop blades and reshape them. (This is a real pain to do!)

All these modes make a big improvement to what is basically a sound model.  The 26 decals detail sheet provides all the wing & cowling panels and is essential to any build of this kit.

The British Midland markings are from classic-airlines, lase printed on constant carrier film, so you have to cut each decal from the sheet by close trimming. They work very well.

bm2.jpg

bm3.jpg

bm5.jpg

bm6.jpg

bm7.jpg

bm8.jpg

bm9.jpg

It pairs up nicely with my Welsh Models HP Herald.

bm10.jpg

My three S&M Viscounts, a Conversion to a BEA 700 (shortened forward fuselage), a British Caledonian 800 ,and The British Midland 800.

bm11.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 50
  • Thanks 6

Beautiful John!

Those mods make a great deal of difference to the basic kit and as AA have discontinued their Viscounts I might have to go down the S&M route in the future so I'll nick your ideas!

I agree the use of the 26 detail decal is essential as it finishes off the model by breaking up the large areas of natural metal on the wings. What did you use for the NMF?

Glad the Classic Airliners decal performs well as I've got that sheet for a Viscount I've got on the go.

Love the diorama, are those Preiser figures?

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Brilliant work !! Those decals are ace . Fancy Viscount 701 , G-AMOG in BOAC Gold Speedbird colours ?

Well done

10 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

G-AMOG in BOAC Gold Speedbird colours ?

Now that would look good.

I'm pleased to see that these kits make up so well with a bit of fettling as first impressions are not very encouraging.  Probably easier to achieve a decent model from this kit than tacking on the Welsh Models vac-form kit.

Yet another superb model John.  I'll call and have a look one night in the week so make sure the kettle is working.

Chris.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, stringbag said:

that would look good

Saw it over the BOAC hangars on a rare visit (to me anyway!)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/emdjt42/3351242792

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000293638.html

Decals

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/26decals-144-430-boac-vickers-viscount-700--1171185

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

Fantastic model, very nicely finished! :goodjob:

The British Midland Viscount was the first plane I ever flew in from EMA in the summer of 1980, so your model brings back many happy memories, thanks! 

Here’s a photo I took of the ground crew relaxing whilst we waited to board.

46250122144_2a29a71327_o.jpg

• Like 2

Wonderful build,Oh to be back In that classic era,Great job.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Cheers Michael.     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill.B said:

waited to board

They didn't march the PAX up those steps did they ? Shouldn't use those for PAX.

5 hours ago, bzn20 said:

They didn't march the PAX up those steps did they ? Shouldn't use those for PAX.

No, we went up the more traditional loading steps through the front door. I’m not sure why those steps were there, maybe to load up the food supplies etc? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Britman said:

Excellent modeling. I suspect a run on stocks of this much maligned and "brave" kit.

Keith 

I'm  personally of the opinion that there is still a market for a 'nice' 1/144 Viscount. I suspect the issue is the S&M kit is so plentiful and cheap.

Even better still would be a state of the art 72 scale one, perhaps Welsh will look at this given how well their Vanguard is selling.

Tommo

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

I'm  personally of the opinion that there is still a market for a 'nice' 1/144 Viscount.

There is a 700 and 800 coming from Eastern Express this year which might be quite nice!

Cheers,

Ian

Another beautiful model John.  Lovely build and attractive display. The Viscount really suits what I think is the most attractive version of the British Midland livery. Love the lineup too! 

Dave G

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

I'm  personally of the opinion that there is still a market for a 'nice' 1/144 Viscount. I suspect the issue is the S&M kit is so plentiful and cheap.

Tommo

The F-RSIN Viscounts are quite nice provided you accept the limitations of short run mouldings. I've built the 700 (fourth from the top here} and I have an 800 to start. Like all F-RSIN kits the quality of the finished model is in direct proportion to the amount of effort put into the building. One good point is that F-RSIN give you the choice of long or short noses and straight or bulged engine nacelles. 

This is before my passenger flying years, so no rose tinted glasses for me, and not my usual area of interest, but....... WOW! I love it. :yahoo:

Really, indeedy, definitely do. What a great build and a smashing set of aircraft you've done there.

Thank you very much for sharing. 😎

• Like 1

Thanks for thr kind comments guys, much appreciated as always.

I reckon this is a worthwhile kit to build, the improvements are not very difficult (apart from the props), it is certainly easier than the vac form equivalent.

On 03/02/2019 at 19:31, Turbofan said:

Love the diorama, are those Preiser figures?

Cheers,

Ian

Indeed they are Ian. I got a pack of about 70 unpainted N Gauge ones from Hattons model rail shop, but they seem to have stopped doing them now.

On 03/02/2019 at 20:19, bzn20 said:

Brilliant work !! Those decals are ace . Fancy Viscount 701 , G-AMOG in BOAC Gold Speedbird colours ?

Well done

I certainly do! old G-AMOG is still extant at Cosford, but I don't suppose she will ever get repainted in this scheme.

On 03/02/2019 at 20:36, stringbag said:

Yet another superb model John.  I'll call and have a look one night in the week so make sure the kettle is working.

Chris.

Thanks Chris, pop over any time, I'll keep you topped up with tea!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Now that is a very beautiful Viscount and diorama - I envy the passengers, a ride on a Viscount again would be a brilliant experience. If you fancy doing a BA Negus Viscount and cant get hold of the decals, PM me as I have one of 26Decals Limited Run silk sets that could do with going to a loving new prop modellers home.

Another airliner story from my families log book of aviation stories. When my Dad took his command in BEA, he went from Tridents back to Viscounts. I was about 5 and my pet female Rabbit had baby rabbits and we were sending one up to my Scottish cousin in a small crate with my Dad when he flew up to Scotland. He stored the crate with the baby rabbit on the flight deck while he was flying, however the stewardesses wanted to cuddle the rabbit and they dropped it and it got loose on the aircraft mid flight. As a result, they landed in Scotland with a rabbit loose on board and all the passengers had to be detained on board away from the air stairs until the ground crew had safely captured the baby rabbit. My cousins rabbit lived for 10 years after that experience. My cousin named the rabbit BEA - she was only 3 at the time and knew no better !

• Like 4