Any ideas for a Seafury to Fury conversion?

SuKhoi_Fitter

Look at the linked thread, the grilles are mesh,  I'd suggest running the linked thread through a translate program, if you use some browsers, eg Chrome, it can be set up do it automatically, but the images should be self explanatory?   Looks like  20 thou card, and it's curved to meet the end fence parts,  maybe thicker card for the rads, with mesh grilles, and then the bottom parts added?   

One point for quoting,  DO NOT QUOTE all the images, as this causes massive thread clutter. 

Note, you can easily edit out the images using the edit function, which would be appreciated.

For the response you posted, you can just hit 'reply' rather than quote.

Also, if you highlight the part you want to quote, you should get a litle box come up saying  'quote selection'  like this

22 minutes ago, SuKhoi_Fitter said:

Any ideas as to how he made his wing radiators?

HTH

1 minute ago, SuKhoi_Fitter said:

my mistake.. more rookie forum moments 😂,

if you don't know, you don't know,  sorry if it sounded like a lecture,  I need to wrap up go to bed...

1 minute ago, SuKhoi_Fitter said:

I'm pretty sure I can manage to scratch build with card... how hard can it be!?🤔

well, the great thing is, it's only some plastic card, so not a big problem if you make a mistake.  

4 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

51364581_2263139557235501_56258112052778

Oooh, a production Tempest Mk I. mines going to be in 486 sqn colours. :)

Fwiw, I think the drawings the guy on the German forum is using to do his Sabre Fury conversion show the undernose as too deep, some good ideas in there though. I confess that I've never spotted the Sabre Furies as having 12 stack 'xorsts, must need to go to spec savers. :D 

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 12:19 AM, FinnAndersen said:

Pity that no one af made a kit of this very elegant Hawker.

Finn,

Eagles Talon did a very nice vacform of the CA-15 in 1/72 scale; I have one and it's a really nice kit. Did you know that the CA-15 was originally supposed to be powered by the P&W R-2800?

Mike

Did you know that the CA-15 was originally supposed to be powered by the P&W R-2800?

No but i do wonder what that might look like ? 

f47d62ab-ff0d-4505-9bc8-ac855802a59d.jpg

This is a CAC display model of the final version before the R-2800 was found to be unobtanium and the switch made to the Griffon. It is not a wind tunnel model as often labelled. The fairing under the fuselage was where the engine cooling air and engine exhaust were mixed to gain thrust. Somewhat akin to the 'Meredith effect' employed with great success in the P-51.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Magpie22 said:

This is a CAC display model of the final version before the R-2800 was found to be unobtanium

Thanks for posting the photo, Magpie, for CFFU; I was going to add there is a detailed history and photos in Stuart Wilson's monograph  Wirrraway, Boomerang, and CA-15 in Australian Service, but that whole series has been OOP for a long time. I'm sure glad I was able to get his entire series when they were out, as they are incredible modeling resources.

Mike

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, pigsty said:

??? Brainfart there.  But then, what's the explanation for that different cowling line?

Hawker raised the cockpit so the pilot had a better forward view when taxiing. The long nose of the Tempest blocked the forward view.

Chris

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Hawker raised the cockpit so the pilot had a better forward view when taxiing. The long nose of the Tempest blocked the forward view.

I would guess that gunsight angle and/or a better view of the carrier deck when landing would be a better bid for the cockpit to be raised.

/Finn

26 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

The long nose of the Tempest blocked the forward view.

Apologies if stating the obvious, but the Tempest fuselage is basically the same as the Typhoon, (the initial  Tempests used Typhoon centre sections)  but the new, thinner tempest wing held less fuel, so the fuselage was lengthened by 2 feet in front of the cockpit for fuel tanks,  which made the view worse,  the lightweight Tempest project got an all new fuselage on the Tempest wings, and overall seems a more ergonomic design, AFAIK it actually had a cockpit floor... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FinnAndersen said:

or a better view of the carrier deck when landing would be a better bid for the cockpit to be raised.

The 'Sea Fury' came later,  the original concept was a lightweight Tempest,  reversing the trend for the bigger fighter,  learning lessons from the Fw190.  Similar to the F8F Bearcat, again, a much smaller airframe.

Jets made the Fury obsolete,  but the early jet engines lack of quick response made them too temperamental for carrier use, hence navalisation and the Sea Fury,

This is from memory, and i can't get to most of my books,  @Graham Boak maybe able to clairify.

this seems a pretty good overview of the type and it's development

https://oldmachinepress.com/2014/10/14/hawker-fury-i-sabre-powered/

Fastest Hawker piston engined type as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 06/02/2019 at 02:57, stevehnz said:

I think the drawings the guy on the German forum is using to do his Sabre Fury conversion show the undernose as too deep, some good ideas in there though.

To be honest I'm not overly bothered on the accuracy, as long as it looks like a fury I'm happy!!! 

On 2/4/2019 at 2:41 PM, SuKhoi_Fitter said:

After getting my Airfix Firefly V kit out and checking the sizes I agree the fly is to narrow. I might however combine a tempest V/VI nose and use the wing radiators from the firefly, and create the chin radiator from a mix of card and mustang parts. For example this LA610 used that exact Idea.

FuryHeading.jpg

The full conversion details can be found at http://hrmtech.com/SIG/articles/sabre_fury.asp

It was a hack to look something like the original rather than an attempt at absolute accuracy. It's a hobby, enjoy it however you like!

Didn't seem to respond when I saved this then found I had multiple copies.

Edited by rossm
Strange response and multiple copies - now deleted

On 2/4/2019 at 2:41 PM, SuKhoi_Fitter said:

After getting my Airfix Firefly V kit out and checking the sizes I agree the fly is to narrow. I might however combine a tempest V/VI nose and use the wing radiators from the firefly, and create the chin radiator from a mix of card and mustang parts. For example this LA610 used that exact Idea.

FuryHeading.jpg

Full details of my conversion can be found at http://hrmtech.com/SIG/articles/sabre_fury.asp

It was a hack to look something like the original rather than an attempt at absolute accuracy. It's a hobby, enjoy it however you like!

Hi Ross, aren't you the person who sold me my Tempest 1 conversion?  I have worked on it, honest, but not got very far yet.  Too far to contemplate a Fury, though.

An old Frog Shackleton cowling might do for a Griffon Fury.  OK, four blade contra-rotating, but who's to say they wouldn't have gone that way... 

29 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Hi Ross, aren't you the person who sold me my Tempest 1 conversion?  I have worked on it, honest, but not got very far yet.  Too far to contemplate a Fury, though.

An old Frog Shackleton cowling might do for a Griffon Fury.  OK, four blade contra-rotating, but who's to say they wouldn't have gone that way... 

Could well have been, I did sell a Ventura conversion a while back.

As for the Griffon Fury I have a bag of bits containing a Shack engine and a 3+3 blade contra prop in the same plastic so I thought from the Frog Shack. In the same bag is a Lincoln engine which has the right intake/radiator setup. So when the time is right one will appear.

There was a 6 page article on the Fury in Air Enthusiast 86 - if you want a pdf drop me a PM.

• Like 1

I've also squirrelled away bits to do the Griffon version of LA610, I got an extra Lincoln engine from Red Roo when I bought a set of them several years ago, the thrust line will be slightly too high I think but the radiator opening is spot on, so hopefully nothing some filler can't fix, there is a spare Griffon contra prop in one of my AZ Spitfires that will do the job too, I'm thinking I might need another Frog/Novo Sea Fury kit or two. :)

Steve.

• 1 year later...

@Troy Smith have you got any info about the differences between the tails of the Sea Fury and Fury tails?

I've overlaid the Sea Fury and Sabre Fury, the Sea Fury has a taller tail, this is also mentioned in this article https://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/gb/hobbinsfury1.htm

Fury vs Sea Fury

I've ordered Richard A Franks' Hawker Sea Fury book, I'll give it a read when it turns up and see if it can shed any light on the issue.

Ben