Revell FGR2

bar side

I saw a listing on eBay the other days of a Revell Phantom FGR2 in the new style Revell boxing.  Looked a bit like a photoshop of the old 56 Sqn red tail on to the Tornado F3 box.  There was a story about Revell re-releasing it this year, which would be nice!

Cher’s guys - thanks for the link @Stephen  though I had seen it somewhere

Hannant have it listed @Corsairfoxfouruncle - had missed that.   Think it was this one I saw on eBay

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F143115518447

so hopefully some nice discounted ones soon!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Do you get both open and closed canopys in the new release?

You can glue the multipart canopy either way. It does not appear to have the rumoured extra one-piece canopy part.

Nor a periscope for the Nav to go with the later schemes.

And it still has the USAF/FMS main wheel hubs from what I've seen, so you need resin F-4J/K/M/S-type MLG wheels.

On the plus side they are going for £23 + postage from a couple of outlets (e.g. Jumblies, where I have two on pre-order) and the decal sheet alone is worth a good portion of that. 

Tony 

2 minutes ago, tony.t said:

On the plus side they are going for £23 + postage from a couple of outlets (e.g. Jumblies, where I have two on pre-order) and the decal sheet alone is worth a good portion of that. 

Tony 

Considering the price that the Tornado F3 came down to on some websites it may soon be time to stock up!

I got my F-4 yesterday as I pre-ordered via Hannants, I didn’t think £26 was bad for a Hasegawa kit in 1/48th. Now to turn the sucker into a real Phantom, Fly Navy boys and girls.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Wafu said:

I got my F-4 yesterday as I pre-ordered via Hannants, I didn’t think £26 was bad for a Hasegawa kit in 1/48th. Now to turn the sucker into a real Phantom, Fly Navy boys and girls.

Planning on doing the same here with at least one of them. Where are your F-4K/FG.1 parts coming from? My starting point:

Wheels - have bought Brassin J/S wheels for the MLG. FAA probably used Dunlops and not Good Year but painted almost black I don't think anyone will notice. The new Reskit ones with separate hubs look nice, but twice the price.

Slotted stabilators - Hypersonic probably, esp. as the pivot assembly is included. Will go for Hypersonic's canopy frame detail sets too, just leaving off the VTAS bits.

Inlets - Alleycat.

NLG leg - this is the bit where @Ali62 at Aerocraft could provide a replacement. I'm sure there's a big enough market for it.

Decals - Xtradecals still make the Colonial Navy 892 NAS scheme which has most of the necessaries for a regular jet - just wished they included two ROYAL logos on the serial number secondary sheet - so much space that could have been used for this! Would like to do an 892 Phantom with crew names too; where can these be found?

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1

Hey Tony, At Sea did me the stabs and legs needed for the RN Phantom. I picked up a set of decals on eBay and the Brit stencil set from Hannants. Hoping that’s it sorted.

Just got to clear the bench😕

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Wafu said:

I got my F-4 yesterday as I pre-ordered via Hannants, I didn’t think £26 was bad for a Hasegawa kit in 1/48th.

Especially when you consider that it's about the same price as the 1:72 Airfix example.

Good to see this classic back, will have a couple to go with my Hasegawa ones, the surface detail is still very modern.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Especially when you consider that it's about the same price as the 1:72 Airfix example.

My goodness , that particular penny had not dropped until now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 71chally said:

Good to see this classic back, will have a couple to go with my Hasegawa ones, the surface detail is still very modern.

71Chally has hit the nail on the head, Revell are in a win win situation, great kit that’s demanded great prices on eBay.

And now time to think about what to build.  Love grey / green but I have a 92 Sqn one.  And a 74sqn F-4J(UK).  Nice shot of xv470 (kit decals 56sqn) in Ian Black’s book without the sharks teeth.  Then there are the AirDOC decals.  Decisions decisions.  You know I think there may be more than one getting built......

-sBlpThVZ8f4_mpQrTnTJj2cxURQV6Tf3pDemF_4

Edited by bar side
  • Like 4