Nemeth Umbrellaplane 1934, 1/72nd scratchbuilt

A build from 12 years ago:

The Nemeth Umbrellaplane, as its name indicates, was created to minimize the weather impact while waiting on the tarmac on rainy airstrips. Or not.

Thanks to one of the very good publications issued by Bill Hannan at Hannan’s Runway, this model could finally see the light of day (under the umbrella, that’s it).

This beautiful machine was the brainchild of Mr. Nemeth, and was built by students of the University of Miami. The fuselage is from a stretched Alliance Argo, and was powered by a Warner Scarab. Later in its life the wing was altered to another, even stranger, split configuration.

A bit more of information can be found at Aerofiles: http://www.aerofiles.com/_n.html

The model, as you can tell by the “in progress” photos, is made basically, as usual, from styrene sheet and rod. Aeroclub engine prop and wheels completed the needed parts.

The forest of struts was dealt with using brass “Strutz”.

Once I got all the parts on the table I gently blew over them and pronounced the powerful word “Shazam!”

And the model came to life.

The truth is out there.

02.jpg

01.jpg

03.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

07.jpg

• Like 21

A very interesting concept - and it appears to have flown pretty well.

It makes for a stunning model Moa - a lot of strut work to sort out though - I bet it was fun getting all of those aligned at the same time!

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...