Gorby's Batty, Ratty, Roland. Back on the road again.

Gorby

Ever since I've been modelling, there has been one unwritten rule – no WWI aircraft. When I was a nipper it was probably because WWI was obviously an inferior world war and not as good as the proper one – I did Top Trumps, I know these things. This time around it has been because of the joint horrors of rigging, and transmuting plastic into wood using only the power of paint.

I've grown up now (mostly) and it's finally time to put those demons to rest.

Roland+Start.JPG

If I'm particularly concerned about one part of the build I like to tackle it as soon as possible. As I can't rig the thing before I've built it, my next major concern is making a reasonable stab at the prop. I don't know if you have seen the work of a modeller going by the name of 'Bughunter'. He's a proper modeller and does remarkable things like make laminated real wood props. Obviously, not being a proper modeller I don't expect to end up with anything like he makes. True to form, I only have one type of wood laminate available, so I did a few experiments - using Tamiya XF-64, XF-52 and a darkish brown oil wash to colour the alternate layers.

I've got a shed full of carpentry tools, but when I do the wood worrying, it's usually on furnitury sized stuff, none of those tools were suitable. So I carved (with a scalpel), filed, sanded and scraped the prop, I then used mineral oil to darken the wood a little and then splashed on a mix of 50% of X-26 (clear orange) and 50% X-35 (semi-gloss clear) to give a varnished look. Not perfect but I'm quite please for a first attempt. I might have another go if I can be bothered.

P1130865.JPG

I'm feeling quite smug because I've managed not to make a total hash of something else:

Watching those 'how to paint wood' vids paid off, but I made two changes. Before I painted I filed the plastic to give it more of a grainy texture (only filed it because my coarse sand paper is in the shed and that would mean I would have to get off me rear end and walk further than the kettle). I haven't got the yellow ochre oil paint that was suggested as a base, so I used XF-55.

In the morning I put smears of my available brown oil paints on a piece of cardboard, as someone on another site suggested (so the paint dries faster). After three hours there was a linseed oil slick around each blob.

P1130860.JPG

It then had a none to perfect coat of the lightest brown, then four hours later (testing it every two minutes to see if it was dry) I used my most scraggy brush to apply the other two browns quite sparingly. After that, I scraped it lightly with a small wire brush in the direction of the grain.

P1130863.JPG

I'll probably put some thinned X-26 (clear orange) on it when it's completely dry. There's a couple of other much smaller woody things, but that's the big bits out of the way.

Anyway, if any of you are still awake and can stand another instalment, I'll see you next time.

Thanks for looking - comments welcome

Gorby

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Great start Gorby, I nearly bought the Revell Roland last week, unfortunately the wife, who was with me in the shop, saw me pick the box up and called security on me!

Following your voyage of discovery with great interest and anticipation :thumbsup2:

• Haha 5

Partly because of that inconvenient 'real life' thing getting in the way and partly due to the anti-fun I had on Tuesday trying to get the Uschi Van whatsit riggy stuff through tiny holes, I wasn't in the mood, this is all that I managed to 'achieve' on Wednesday:

P1130853.JPG

I glued two bits together – pathetic isn't it. With the preparing the rigging and photo etch machine guns, I think this build has cost me about three years of life so far – not feeling the love for WWI builds yet.

I'm a very organised person, so I don't know why chaos follows me around. This is a photo of my work area Thursday evening.

work+area.JPG

It shamed me to tidying up, but for some reason it's just as bad today. It's a mystery.

I can't believe I'm at the zipping the fuselage sage already! Normally it would take me about a month before I get here. At least it should give me a couple of months to do the rigging.

This is me internals:

P1130888.JPG

P1130891.JPG

P1130889+%2528copy%2529.JPG

The last photo has the major stuff I scratched – it may not be 100% accurate but…… don't care.

Thanks for having a gander.

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

She's looking great!

Don't worry about the rigging, it really is easy: Drill hole, thread, glue, trim. Job done. Plus the Roland has fairly basic rigging, so that will help. Try to drill halfway through in one wing and secure one end. I find it easier to do that on the lower wing. Then when the rigging is done, clean up and paint the top wing. Sometimes it's even possible to paint everything first then just touch up the tiny repairs where the holes were.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sorry i missed this build till now. 

Not your fault at all Dennis, for this thread I'm using WWI stealth technology, which basically involved a lot of index fingers to lips going “Sssssssssh!” I just hope that when I come to the rigging that I don't wish I'd missed this build as well.

17 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Not sure if that child seat meets current Mothercare regulations though.

War time regulations old chap. Fully tested by Mutterpflege (luft division) kinder-transportation squadron. Can be set up to be rear facing for gunners under 18 months.

17 hours ago, Jinxman said:

the Plum Porter on the shelf looks very interesting as well  - how is it, or perhaps, how was it?

That confused me to start with (I'm up, but that doesn't mean my brain is). I don't remember putting that in the cockpit, I thought. Arrr yes, the Plum Porter is exceptionally nice – my current favourite winter beer.

Thanks every one for your comments – very much appreciated.

And thanks those who clicked the 'like' button.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Not had much chance to do anything today other than finish off the two machine guns – something else I didn't have much fun with. Why do we do this to ourselves? :wall:

The only change I made is to add a full length metal barrel inside the cooling jackets.

P1130905.JPG

To be as unhelpfully as possible, I've shown them with an 1943 Indian half Anna to give you absolutely no idea of scale, unless you're an ageing Indian with a bloody good memory.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Now look here old chap, I'm sure I dropped that coin in the foothills in '45

Send it on will you, and we'll say no more about it.

(And don't mention the Regimental funds to anyone!)

That's my family inheritance you absolute bounder! I had to prise it out of my dads cold hands. Perhaps I should have waited till he was dead first?

I only need another 31 of them and I'll have a whole rupee. 🤩

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Goat curry night! Whoopee!

Not a good idea to feed the goats curry old chap.

Not after what happened last time. 😱

Still trying to get the stains out of the memsahib.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Now look here old chap, I'm sure I dropped that coin in the foothills in '45

Send it on will you, and we'll say no more about it.

(And don't mention the Regimental funds to anyone!)

Have you and @general melchett had your paws in the till again or has Baldrick been indulging his passion for giant turnips in the country?

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

It's a lie! I've never met Edith Blong of 68 Quinge street, East Borglington.

Nor did I ever go near the Regimental safe (combination on request).

I deny everything and never served in the 32nd Foot and Mouth Light Heavy infantry.

I was only acting under the orders of the aforesaid General at a distance of 6000 miles.

Harumph!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVbxegt_Wz0&list=RDZVbxegt_Wz0&start_radio=1

PS, (Changing character) You're an absolute shower!

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

PS, (Changing character) You're an absolute shower!

We know that, its part of what makes us BM members!

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

Eeeerrrmmm, I've got sidetracked.

Another project has wandered along and as I'm only equip with simple brain equipment, if something else pops in, the original thing falls out. I can't tell you what the new thing is yet because I'm attempting to create an aura of drama and tension where none exist.

Mad Steve is in the know but he's sworn to secrecy – either that or he can't be bothered to tell anyone, one or the other can't remember which.

This is how far I got with the Roland before it got mired in a bog of can't be botheredness.

In keeping with my current obscure currency photo policy:

P1130951.JPG

Please Note: I have temporarily added googly eyes for reasons relating to (not temporary) mental health issues.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

I hope nothing too serious....

The eyes give it more of a guppyish look than a whale, but I do hope you can regain the mojo and finish her....

Thanks Ian. I've not given up on the this lump of blubber yet, it's more that I'm a little obsessed with another project at the mo so that's getting modelling time priority. I've never given up on a build before, so this will be making a return at some point.

Hmm, looks like this one is liable to go down the steam (daft) punk route.

If Mad Steve is involved it's a motorbike, a car, some earth moving equipment or a Springbok. Or something to clean his pool. 😝

• Haha 1