Buffalo Airways C-47 ##Finished##

Jb65rams

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes and i also watched the TV Show. There was a TV show that covered Buffalo airways a number of years ago ? Might be the same thing ? Aha found it .. the TV show was “Ice pilots”. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Pilots_NWT

Dennis

There's that, but Mickey's is more fun, no hype. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvFNTUDikuXwaoFE45bq4Xg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the links, I will get round to watching them some time.

I have finally made a start on this.

47157788032_23e51570da_c.jpg

47157786112_e7dd56eb41_c.jpg

For the Buffalo Airways green colour I have use Vallejo Emerald. It was the closest match I could find, still a bit dark and will need to lighten it for the external paint job to match the decals.

47157785682_5d4a8f03fc_c.jpg

Fuselage buttoned up.

I haven't forgotton the windows, the decal strip doesn't have the window openings marked, my plan is to open up the windows once the decal has been applied and glaze with Glue'n'Glaze. 

• Like 5

On 2/25/2019 at 5:56 PM, Jb65rams said:

Fuselage buttoned up.

I haven't forgotton the windows, the decal strip doesn't have the window openings marked, my plan is to open up the windows once the decal has been applied and glaze with Glue'n'Glaze. 

That's coming together really well.  Cabins windows are always a challenge, but it sounds like you've got a good plan.....

• 1 month later...

Agree 3:1 looks about right, could be here for weeks until I get a perfect match.

Made a batch up, adjusted slightly as it dried different on the kit as opposed to my test piece.

47616103481_f24eaea9d9_c.jpg

Need to tidy the bench!

• Like 5

Nice to see someone else have a go at a Buffalo Dak. When I did mine I used Dulux paint swatch and got my local Dulux dealer to mix it. Only thing is It came in a tin that will last a lifetime and that was the smallest one. Thinned the emulsion with flow improver which worked really well but brush painted it rather than spraying. No brush marks at the end and sealed in with a couple coats of Klear, I also did the same to my Mach kit of the DC-4 for which I had custom made Buffalo decals made.  Somewhere in the BM archives should be pics of them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paul J said:

Nice to see someone else have a go at a Buffalo Dak. When I did mine I used Dulux paint swatch and got my local Dulux dealer to mix it. Only thing is It came in a tin that will last a lifetime and that was the smallest one. Thinned the emulsion with flow improver which worked really well but brush painted it rather than spraying. No brush marks at the end and sealed in with a couple coats of Klear, I also did the same to my Mach kit of the DC-4 for which I had custom made Buffalo decals made.  Somewhere in the BM archives should be pics of them.

Found it, https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234958521-dc-4-buffalo-airways/ 

Buffalo has 13 DC-4s, ranging from parts birds to still flyable and easily restorable examples. They are all for sale and most are in Red Deer Alberta.

@Paul J @busnproplinerfan   thanks for the link, nice DC-4. Using a paint mixing service never occurred to me.

Used Vallejo Model Color 70.838 Emerald mixed with Vallejo Model Air 71.001 White with a few drops of thinner.

47658239841_7a47ab2e6d_c.jpg

After a couple of coats of clear, I have started the decaling. Finding I am needing to use a lot of decal setting solution to get them to conform.

47658238871_23644e1739_c.jpg 

• Like 10

That is looking good! I was looking forward to seeing this come along as I love the show - you're doing a grand job of replicating one of their machines. This wouldn't be Joe's own favourite would it? 🤔😁

No idea if this is Joe’s favourite plane.

It’s rapidly falling down the list of mine as the decals continue to fight me. They just refuse to settle, resulting in small creases.  

Binned the leading ding edge decals, will mask and paint them.