Airfix C47 BEA Dart Dakota G-AMDB

And after a week of failures and some dissapointment i started at the wings and even put a few rivets on..

Those straight long lines are a pain in the .... to get straight but hey it will have to do or otherwise my girlfriend buys me a straightjacket for my birthday😮

33822828818_cd49a26618_b.jpg

The white lines is Tamiya flexibele tape and is used as a guidance for the

33822828758_04d7082dfa_b.jpg

Cheers, Jan

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all it’s been a while since i did a update but during this group build i had to chase a Catalina as well and make some pics and film from that aircraft as it has been sold to the collings Foundation in the USA and is going to leave the Netherlands on the end of the month...

But lets play Dart...🤪

Here you can see with tape will do to the foil....after spraying the deicer boots again after it recieved damage from all the handeling and reddoing some foil..

But no worries as i could rub it back  in submission!

40832967853_30b2cf556c_b.jpg

The landing gear got some attention by opening certain area’s using some very small vice drills and a knife

47799058631_33047bd33f_b.jpg

Here you can see the clear cote on the wing it’s right panel whereas the left is still unpainted (Humbrol gloss acrylic paint brushed with a flat brush)

46882829665_0228f275db_b.jpg

Finally the plane was unwrapped and clearcoted and placed for it’s first time on it’s gear😀

47799058491_d5d80bf9a1_b.jpg

32855647227_1a9ebf2867_b.jpg

Almost time for a compassie swing haha..

cheers, Jan

• Like 7

When i came home from the IPMS regional monthly gathering i had posted the proceedings from the last post...

However the vibe was good and after visiting our monthly evening of enjoyment and positive comments on the Dart Dak from fellow modellers i decided to press on  and started decalling🤨

That was a challenge as these are older decals (plus twentie odd years) but they performed pretty well..

Only the cheatline was prone to tearing  but i managed to keep it in one piece without seeing those tears..

They also wheren’t designed for the Airfix Dakota but they fit very well with he exception for the one on the nose but that one had some help of a gallon decalsoftener and a gentle hand.

The BEA expres airfreight titles were  difficult to move in their place so i managed to damage one but thankfully i had a spare decalset in my stash wich i had because i bought a whole lot of Dakota decals  on the bay and this one was included..

32856922137_0d68506871_b.jpg

32856921907_1a3974e636_b.jpg

47748146862_57fc058e30_b.jpg

By the way there is just one side finished as it took a lot of time to place the decals around the nose and hinges. 

cheers, Jan

• Like 6

You are too positive Paul haha, well when doing the nose decals i discovered that the fit was a little cumbersome but hey it was never designed for the Airfix kit..

Despite this the overal fit of the decals is very nice and still work very good but you never should try too cut these with a scissor as because of their age they don’t seem to handle the stress from cutting or bending before you soke em in warm water..

In the end i didn’t really liked the end result as the white lines where in the wrong place on that nose and there where some stripes missing beyond the nose registration...

First i tryed to solve this by an overlap of spare red decal provided on the sheet but there wasn’t any white under this spare and there what white under the nose decals so i had patchy looking thing...

Then i painted the d... thing with the recipe below..

I didn’t liked the idea of painting it on as there is no matching paint for this decalssheet...nevertheless in order to keep a learning curve in all this i came up with the idea to take Humbrol nr. 20 crimson red as it looked almost the same but a tad dark..

In orde to get the right color i threw in a an even amount of Humbrol 220 Ferrari red and there it was ..i couldn’t tell the difference ( sorry no pics of that, being busy mixing and testing).

So three tryes later i have redone the nose by removing the decals and the new red paint and primed it in white for the stripes..

47029169734_bfb871e52c_b.jpg

33941400358_d84e9f0dac_b.jpg

47766471572_810cb830c4_b.jpg

47029150614_03d4269a06_b.jpg

Still going on and strong albiet not being in time for the end of this group build i am still very happy with this build..

Cheers, Jan

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

These planes sure need rivets, makes the difference. So abandon the nose decals and paint it instead?

I allready did as i couldn’t let it go🤪

Just made some masking lines as well for the white on my sillhouette cutter and placed them  on that nose and also did some liquid mask on them and the general outline to avoid seepage of the red on the white wich helped..

40852868783_a62b2b92cd_b.jpg

47819660001_900e0511e5_b.jpg

47767397702_5cdd8dc26f_b.jpg

47767397582_f184bc07c5_b.jpg

cheers, Jan

• Like 7

Sorry for not being able to finish this build in time, however i hope you all enjoyed it sofar!

I am going to ask the mods to move this to the work in progress..

Still made a few pics to get the idea how it will be looking in the near end with the standard props fixed wich will be replaced in the end build...

Though not finished in time i really have enjoyed the group build and it was certainly a good start for me doing this build after having the idea for twenty years...

Also i would like to thank everybody who participated in the conversations and giving positive comments👍

47775355862_76c7695c75_b.jpg

40861019413_a23c4566f0_b.jpg

40861019543_f5d1f36ee3_b.jpg

Cheers, Jan

• Like 8

Thank you gents for the compliments during this build...tonight i did some work on the props but these need some refinement..that black antoglareshield was done today as well..

@Dansk i must confess that i am equally impressed by your build and the techniques you used ..

Gladd you pressed on with the Airfix kit and didn’t regret it😎

I had a small break to catch our own club DC-3 in the hangar and this one also gets the inspiration going and this one is going to fly scenic flights during the D-day event in Duxford and Caen in France and there are whopping 800 tickets sold..

This actual plane even flew over st.Mere Eglise over dropzone O during D-day..

46912038575_08f3a8ba69_b.jpg

Enjoy the weekend,

Jan

• Like 2

This is beatiful work Jan.  It would be really nice to see your current photos in the Gallery even though not 100% complete.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

This is beatiful work Jan.  It would be really nice to see your current photos in the Gallery even though not 100% complete.

Cheers

Cliff

Seconded  Awesome work 

Martin H

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well a small update as i was very busy with another club project..

On the picture you can see that there is a bubble underneath the foil, first i thought it was a small error in the foiling proces..

But now i am suspecting the resin engines to be the culprit as these bubbels appear randomly and only on the resin part of the aircraft....🤨

First i tryed to solve it with making a small cut in the foil and press it in submission again but they are reappearing....

Still i have to figure out what to do...there is a possibilty that it has to do with some spots not being primed as i had to remove some irregularity’s before i foiled it....at least a know i have to strip the engines again😣

46983348965_a54c839956_b.jpg

Cheers, Jan

• Sad 2

Absolutely amazing. This is a wonderful WIP thread, and I particularly appreciate the tutorials on foiling and riveting. Wow. Thanks, Jan. Very nice work indeed. And the Dak is beautiful; very nice livery and the mods are spot on. Such good work. Thank you for sharing. :clap:

• Like 2

• 2 months later...