Spitfire F.21

My second Spit in this GB is one I've wanted to do for a while - a Spitfire F.21 in 1/48, using the Airfix PR.XIX fuselage and Seafire 46 wings. I'm going to be following a build by @CplPunishment - his build is here. Most of the parts I need are in the two kits and it looks like a reasonably straightforward conversion, although a bit of fettling is going to be needed to get the XIX and 46 bits to fit together properly. It'll go something like this:

Cockpit - largely PR.XIX parts, omitting the cameras and other internals that are specific to the PR.XIX. Rear pressure bulkhead will be modified to represent the frame that would be in that place in an unpressurised aircraft. I've got a Yahu instrument panel for a IX - ok the wrong mark, but it'll look good enough with the canopy closed, which is how I plan to build it. I'll use an Eduard seatbelt and Quickboost gyro gunsight.

Fuselage: PR.XIX with pressurisation intake removed, camera ports filled, and a little scribing to represent the door. I'll need a new windscreen - I have two options, the closed canopy from the Eduard Spit which will be build with the canopy open, or the windscreen from the 46.

Wings and main undercarriage: Pretty much the full 46 assembly.

Here's the traditional box shot - 2 boxes this time - complete with an assortment of the kids' mess on the table!

1/48 Spitfire F.21

Fuselage mods came first:

1/48 Spitfire F.21

This included the modification to the pressure bulkhead - basically I've just cut out the middle leaving the frame around the outside. I've also made a start on painting the cockpit by painting everything that needs to be interior green.

From here, getting the cockpit assembled and painted and getting the fuselage together should be pretty straightforward. After that it'll be time to get the wings on, which will be a bit more interesting!

cheers

Julian

• Like 6

Nice! I did the same a few years ago, but using the Hobbycraft XIV fuselage with various corrections and mods, those same Airfix Seafire 46 wings and lots of aftermarket resin and PE - a bit of a FrankenSpit! Yours' should be a lot less troublesome with the XIX fuselage to work with. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

You've picked a major project Julian and a worthwhile one at that :speak_cool: I'll be watching your progress with interest as it's something I've considered myself and it seems I'm not the only one.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been neglecting BM for a bit but still made a bit of progress with the Spit. Fuselage is done - cockpit was more or less from the kit, apart from the mod to the pressure bulkhead and the Yahu instrument panel and Eduard seat belts.

Spitfire 21 WIP

So far it still looks pretty much like a PR.XIX - apart from the filled-in camera port - but that's about to change - wings next!

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 5

Not been participating in or watching many GBs lately but just spotted this.

I have one somewhere which is just about ready for painting, I used the Aeroclub conversion and the unfolded wings from the Airfix Seafire 46/47 kit.

Looking good so far.

John

• Thanks 1

Thanks Grahame and thanks for the photos. Didn't realise there were any F.21s left. One day I'll go and visit it.

Quite a lot of progress today. First of all here's what you get when you first try to mate the 46 wing to the XIX fuselage:

Spitfire F.22 WIP

But it's not as bad as it looks. A couple of minutes' work with the sanding stick results in a much better fit. A wedge of plastic card to complete the trailing edge, a bit of filler, and I ended up with this:

Spitfire F.22 WIP

The lower wing piece on the XIX is about 8mm longer at the rear end than the equivalent 46 piece - there's a camera port there on the XIX - so that needed to be filled in with a few strips of plastic card. A bit of superglue and filler later and I ended up with this:

Spitfire F.22 WIP

Last thing for today was the carb intake. Here I had a choice of using the part from either kit, neither of which fitted very well. The XIX part fits the best at the front, and with a bit of minor trimming can be made to fit at the back quite well. It just leaves fairly large gaps either side which I've dealt with using a bit of perfect putty:

Spitfire F.22 WIP

At this rate I'll be painting next weekend

cheers

Julian

• Like 6

You're probably already aware of it, but that little ' wedge ' on the upper wings behind and inboard of the gun bulges needs to be removed. I believe it's supposed to represent the little door above the flap actuating mechanism which should be closed when the flaps are up.

John

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

You're probably already aware of it, but that little ' wedge ' on the upper wings behind and inboard of the gun bulges needs to be removed. I believe it's supposed to represent the little door above the flap actuating mechanism which should be closed when the flaps are up.

John

Already gone!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Life has got in the way a bit over the last few weeks, and it's been nearly a month since I last posted here. Not a lot of modelling happened in that time, but I did get a bit done here and there and got to the point where I could get it painted this week. So here it is:

Spitfire 21 WIP

cheers

Julian

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Threadbear said:

What paints did you use on your F.21? 

Mr Paint. I thought the green looked a little too brown at first but now I’ve seen it in better light this morning I’m happier with it.

Most of the decals done. The Freightdog decals work very nicely, as you'd expect. Just a handful of decals left to do, then I really must get on with painting the props and exhausts.

Spitfire 21 WIP

• Like 3

On 2/17/2019 at 9:10 AM, Threadbear said:

Good progress on your Spitfire F.21. Here are some photos of Kelvingrove Museum in Glasgow’s F.21 LA198 taken last September. 

Regards Grahame

That's a splendid exhibit.  I wouldn't mind being able to see it hanging in Trinity College Dublin's Museum Building, the interior of which the Kelvingrove reminds me a lot, and which I believe is in Venetian style.