Fujimi Phantom FGR.2 1/72 - IrritableRabbit's stencil purgatory

what a great looking Phantom!  I have literally just received the new Airfix FGR2 version and cannot make up my mind which colours to go for. I love the grey  low vis finish of the 90's but doubt I could be as good as you have achieved, and I was stationed at Laarbruch during the 1970's so almost feel obliged to do the 2Sqn camo version.........decisions decisions........

I can also attest that there are just as many stencils in the Airfix kit!

Now I've got to twiddle my thumbs waiting for paint and pilots to arrive :(

• Thanks 1

Great rendition of what, for me, is still the best UK Phantom in this scale (tried all the others but still like this one best, overall)

Big fan of 92 Sqn machines and this is a beauty.

Nice one!

ATB
Rick

• Thanks 1

Very nicely built, painted and weathered - you made the most of this kind of camouflage.

The kit - looking at the side views the front proportions somehow look strange to me, as if the fuselage from the intakes forward is too fat or the front landing gear to small, too thin...

I can't really put my finger on it but it seems to look a bit strange. Or is that just me?

• Thanks 1

Very nice Phantom, impressive finish :worthy:.  I agree that the new Airfix Phantom is disappointing, not only did they ignore the intake bleed louvres and the vents above the afterburner cans but like most 1/72 tooms they missed the opportunity to have dropped airbrakes and open auxiliary bleed doors.  I looked at the kit and thought that I would stick with the Fujimi kits that I have in the stash. (only 8). Keep up the good work.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Tomjw said:

Fantastic job. Nice to see a Phantom in proper colours...

Cheers,

Tom

No no ! It has to be Dk. Green & Dk. Sea Grey ! ( I might be a tad biased on that ) . 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, patjb said:

As an ex Phantom engineer who  worked on this aircraft when I was on The Cobra's ( 92 Sqdn ).

It looks great.

I wasn't being entirely serious, just that I remember them from my 17 squadron days when they were used in the strike / attack role.I do believe that 92 squadron had some ex - 17 squadron birds, so we probably worked on the same airplanes at some time.  🙂

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:35 PM, Jonners said:

I used to think that these jets were the coolest thing on wings. It brings back happy memories of being entrusted (very closely supervised!) as an air cadet with helping to load the cannon with paint-covered rounds under a 19 Sqn FGR2...on detachment to RAF Akrotiri in 1989!  Probably a thorough inconvenience to the armourers at the time, but that small inconvenience for them left a lifelong impression on me. I'm now in the 'third phase' of my subsequent aviation career, and it's a lesson that I have tried to keep in mind throughout. 

Jon

Blimey, I was on that APC, and I would have a guess and say that PhonePhixer was on it too.  Although not as a Space Cadet, in my case it was as a bit of a drinking machine !!

Nice Phantom by the way !!

• Like 1

they missed the opportunity to have dropped airbrakes and open auxiliary bleed doors. 

The new Airfix FGR2 can be made with all the bleed doors and airbrakes, flaps etc either open/dropped or in flight mode. Alternative parts are supplied for either configuration......although the louvres are still missingof course :)

Hello everyone and thanks again for taking the time to reply. 😎

On 2/4/2019 at 6:54 PM, Starfighter said:

That's just superb !  Just as a matter of interest I worked on XV498 when it was part of 17 Squadron at Bruggen back in my younger days, so nice to see a model of one of "My ' birds.  :cheers:   👍

17sqn.. 92sqn.. This bird's been around a bit! Does this remind me of anyone I know I wonder. 🤔 😀

On 2/4/2019 at 10:45 PM, ArmouredSprue said:

Superb build mate. How's the overall fit and everything for this kit?

The fit is really good. Yes, there are better nowadays but it holds up well. The main thing to be careful of is the fit of the intakes and the fit of the wings to the fuselage. Some test fitting of the intake parts to make sure they fit snugly to the fuselage and don't interfere with the wings. They do actually fit very nicely out of the box it has to be said. I also put some sprue bracing in the fuselage to make sure it was pushed out on either side to make sure the fit to the upper wing sections was good and with no gaps. Although if the bracing is too wide it can push and bend the wings into an obvious anhedral when fitted. 
The small intakes on the side of the nose are a misshapen, blobby mess but can by sanded into a better shape. :D

On 2/5/2019 at 2:12 AM, opus999 said:

Been there... done that...

This is a fantastic looking build, though.  Subtly weathered, crisp painting.  It's a beauty.  I was shocked when I read it was 1/72! I could've sworn it was 1/48 or bigger!

Cheers... And 1/48th build 'from' a 1/72 build saves me money and space.  😉

On 2/5/2019 at 3:53 PM, Matt P said:

what a great looking Phantom!  I have literally just received the new Airfix FGR2 version and cannot make up my mind which colours to go for. I love the grey  low vis finish of the 90's but doubt I could be as good as you have achieved, and I was stationed at Laarbruch during the 1970's so almost feel obliged to do the 2Sqn camo version.........decisions decisions........

I can also attest that there are just as many stencils in the Airfix kit!

Now I've got to twiddle my thumbs waiting for paint and pilots to arrive :(

Do them all? :evil_laugh:

22 hours ago, Mr T said:

Very nice Phantom, the stencils make it as they look naked without them. 

My thought as well which is why I persevered with 95% of the stencils. And to be fair me, to the Airdoc stencil instructions didn't seem to be quite complete. 🤔 🙂

21 hours ago, Ingo Degenhardt said:

Very nicely built, painted and weathered - you made the most of this kind of camouflage.

The kit - looking at the side views the front proportions somehow look strange to me, as if the fuselage from the intakes forward is too fat or the front landing gear to small, too thin...

I can't really put my finger on it but it seems to look a bit strange. Or is that just me?

I'm sure it's probably mostly ok, and I'm sure that any real shape deficiencies would have been documented somewhere for a kit of this age. :thumbsup:

19 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Very nice Phantom, impressive finish :worthy:.  I agree that the new Airfix Phantom is disappointing, not only did they ignore the intake bleed louvres and the vents above the afterburner cans but like most 1/72 tooms they missed the opportunity to have dropped airbrakes and open auxiliary bleed doors.  I looked at the kit and thought that I would stick with the Fujimi kits that I have in the stash. (only 8). Keep up the good work.

Ermm.. You have eight.. You appear to be sitting on a goldmine as prices haven't dropped it seems, even after the new Airfix release. Hope they are well guarded. :whistle:

18 hours ago, Tomjw said:

Fantastic job. Nice to see a Phantom in proper colours...

Cheers,

Tom

Is this colour the PROPER colour? Which is the least proper colour? Is there a proper colour for the FG.1? I need to know. :shocked: :D

On 2/4/2019 at 7:01 PM, Steve Coombs said:

Let's just tactfully say she didn't like the hobby.

One of the least offensive hobbies I can think of and that happens... Vacuum cleaner destruction of a model Phantom... I'm sure that's an actual crime somewhere. 🤔

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

Blimey, I was on that APC, and I would have a guess and say that PhonePhixer was on it too.  Although not as a Space Cadet, in my case it was as a bit of a drinking machine !!

Nice Phantom by the way !!

If memory serves, it was in April 89. Happy days for an impressionable wannabe 17-year-old Spacey: Phantoms, Canberra, Shackleton, Wessex, Reds, and some foreign aircraft that Weren’t Really There. My son is now an impressionable wannabe 17-year-old Spacey and is extremely envious!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Matt P said:

The new Airfix FGR2 can be made with all the bleed doors and airbrakes, flaps etc either open/dropped or in flight mode. Alternative parts are supplied for either configuration......although the louvres are still missingof course :)

You are correct, I doff my hat and should have checked.  All the ones I had seen built had the air brakes and aux doors closed, so with all the vents missing I thought they had not bothered.

4 hours ago, IrritableRabbit said:

Ermm.. You have eight.. You appear to be sitting on a goldmine as prices haven't dropped it seems, even after the new Airfix release. Hope they are well guarded. :whistle:

Perhaps a plastic mine, but then again THEY say certain kits are worth money, but you try and get it. 

23 hours ago, Starfighter said:

No no ! It has to be Dk. Green & Dk. Sea Grey ! ( I might be a tad biased on that ) . 😄

Agreed on this.   But in (19(F) Sqn colours. :whistle:  (no chickens, snakes or budgies, but a fighting dolphin)

• Haha 1

great work ... superbly colored ...

a little note if you allow me ...
you glued the canopy upside down, the front mobile part, actually it's the back ...

you can fix it and make the phantom take the right shapes ...

ciao 

Silvano

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, phantom61 said:

great work ... superbly colored ...

a little note if you allow me ...
you glued the canopy upside down, the front mobile part, actually it's the back ...

you can fix it and make the phantom take the right shapes ...

ciao 

Silvano

Indeed you are right! I feel another photoshoot coming on!

Well that's what happens when you knock them off before the shoot and don't pay attention when sticking them back on. Silly me. 🤣

Now.. Nobody else look at these till I get the new images up.. Next week maybe.. Ahem.. Nothing to see here... Move along now. :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, IrritableRabbit said:

Indeed you are right! I feel another photoshoot coming on!

Well that's what happens when you knock them off before the shoot and don't pay attention when sticking them back on. Silly me. 🤣

Now.. Nobody else look at these till I get the new images up.. Next week maybe.. Ahem.. Nothing to see here... Move along now. :whistle:

you did a great job...
with excellent finishes ... I made a FGR 2 with all the stencils of the Airdoc ... crazy

Raf Germany

progres 1 (11)

progres1 (8)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Jonners said:

If memory serves, it was in April 89. Happy days for an impressionable wannabe 17-year-old Spacey: Phantoms, Canberra, Shackleton, Wessex, Reds, and some foreign aircraft that Weren’t Really There. My son is now an impressionable wannabe 17-year-old Spacey and is extremely envious!

Used to be MPC Jan/Feb  at Valley, APC was April/May (can definitely remember watching 1988 Liverpool Wimbledon FA Cup final in the Threatre Club at Aki, a lad on the roof holding the aerial as we were trying to watch Middle Eastern TV and while listening to it on Forces Radio).  ACMI @June July in Deci and Red Flag Oct/Nov. Great days.

Push your lad in the Cadets, get him to the recruiting office.  Get rid, convert the bedroom to a mancave...…….job jobbed.

13 hours ago, phantom61 said:

you did a great job...
with excellent finishes ... I made a FGR 2 with all the stencils of the Airdoc ... crazy

Raf Germany

Those 17Sqn decals look smart.

Jonathan...

Now today has become much brighter and better seeing MY Favorite Jet..:heart:

your build is IMMACULTE, PRISTINE  and STUNNING TO LOOK at.

Its an AMAZING  PHANTASTIC PHANTOM..:yikes:

Good Workmanship.. 

KUDOS...( And get well soon).

:wow::mike:

• Thanks 1