Fujimi Phantom FGR.2 1/72 - IrritableRabbit's stencil purgatory

Very nice indeed. What did you use for the weathering? It looks just right - very effective.

I used to think that these jets were the coolest thing on wings. It brings back happy memories of being entrusted (very closely supervised!) as an air cadet with helping to load the cannon with paint-covered rounds under a 19 Sqn FGR2...on detachment to RAF Akrotiri in 1989!  Probably a thorough inconvenience to the armourers at the time, but that small inconvenience for them left a lifelong impression on me. I'm now in the 'third phase' of my subsequent aviation career, and it's a lesson that I have tried to keep in mind throughout. 

Jon

• Like 2

Hello, and thank you everybody for the great reception to my latest build. Makes all the mistakes, minor frustrations and of course, fun, even more satisfying. :yahoo:

On 2/3/2019 at 2:54 PM, MarkSH said:

Very nice build of a still great kit,

...and yes the photography is top notch too.....my weak spot, any tips?

Thanks... and... ahhhh... How long do you have? 😂
And it all depends on how you want to do it and how much you want to spend. 😱
I use flash, because it's what I have, but continuous led lights for video work are also good for photos like this, and you see what the light looks like before you press the shutter.

In this instance, I use two small speedlights modified with small soft boxes. One hung directly over the model, and another one I can move about on a stand slightly left or right of camera position to balance the light and lift shadows. 

The colorama vinyl backdrop I bought years ago for other work and I just hang it from a pole. They are quite expensive if you don't have much of a reason to buy one, but they are the thing that's used for small object photos and come in many colours. A decent art paper roll with the model lit as well as you can will do most people because 'it's all about the light'. The light is the most important bit. 😎

20 hours ago, Courageous said:

:goodjob:

...hate stencils

Stuart

The hate stencils club with its own special handshake. :D

20 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

Lovely build there.

I built a 56 Sqn sharkmouth machine some 25 years back, using Modeldecals for the details. My ex managed to drop a vacuum cleaner on it (don't ask how).

That's like saying don't press the Big Red Button marked DON'T PRESS.

How did that happen? 😧

20 hours ago, Massimo said:

Beautiful!!!

And it's got some features which have been ...forgotten in Airfix kit. I much prefer this one althought older and you got the best from thi kit!!!:clap:

I didn't realise the Airfix kit is missing some features. So I went and had a look.

I think I prefer the Fujimi one now... Or I could be biased because I have another one in the stash. 😎

20 hours ago, Jonners said:

Very nice indeed. What did you use for the weathering? It looks just right - very effective.

I used to think that these jets were the coolest thing on wings. It brings back happy memories of being entrusted (very closely supervised!) as an air cadet with helping to load the cannon with paint-covered rounds under a 19 Sqn FGR2...on detachment to RAF Akrotiri in 1989!  Probably a thorough inconvenience to the armourers at the time, but that small inconvenience for them left a lifelong impression on me. I'm now in the 'third phase' of my subsequent aviation career, and it's a lesson that I have tried to keep in mind throughout. 

Jon

I'm totally jealous.. I was an air cadet and mostly all I got to do was get cold and muddy running in field close by, and if REALLY lucky get to shoot 5 rounds of .22 LR.

I used various products in various shades just to see what worked as this is still a major learning process.
I had three shades of Mig panel line wash. Deep Brown, Deep Grey and Blue/Black.

I also used some true-earth filters. IIRC these were Grey/Blue ageing, Light ageing, Paint fading and a Neutral filter. I would have mixed these with a little water and air-brushed on at a lowish pressure. 

5 hours ago, David Womby said:

Looks magnificent.  It's hard to believe it's 1/72.  It looks 1/48 or bigger.

David

Thanks David, although my eyes didn't think that when I was build it. 😵 🤣

On 2/3/2019 at 1:34 PM, Vultures1 said:

Wow, that looks great.  Superb finish and nice subtle weathering.  That Fujimi Phantom still stands up well despite its age

Cracking photography too

Cheers. I do kind of wish I aged as well. 😁

And once again, thank you everyone for taking the time to comments and like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That's just superb !  Just as a matter of interest I worked on XV498 when it was part of 17 Squadron at Bruggen back in my younger days, so nice to see a model of one of "My ' birds.  :cheers:   👍

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, IrritableRabbit said:

"Lovely build there.

I built a 56 Sqn sharkmouth machine some 25 years back, using Modeldecals for the details. My ex managed to drop a vacuum cleaner on it (don't ask how)."

That's like saying don't press the Big Red Button marked DON'T PRESS.

How did that happen? 😧

Let's just tactfully say she didn't like the hobby.

• Haha 1

On 2/3/2019 at 3:36 AM, IrritableRabbit said:

WHAT WAS I THINKING!! @##%%@ Phantom stencils!

Been there... done that...

This is a fantastic looking build, though.  Subtly weathered, crisp painting.  It's a beauty.  I was shocked when I read it was 1/72! I could've sworn it was 1/48 or bigger!

• Thanks 1