F-86A in 1/48

6 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Taking notes on this one so I can try it in 1/72 before @Courageous cranks out another one! 😜

Well Mike, you'd better get your skates on as I've started another 1/72 Sabre here:

...and all being good, I'll start cutting tonight.

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

F-86A-7 colour scheme

Can you show us a pic?

Stuart

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 05/02/2019 at 07:32, Courageous said:

How you describe it, is how I back date my wings, makes sense to me.You end up taking a very, very thin slice (1mm outboard, 2mm inboard in 1/72) off the slat assy.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, reassuring to know the approach isn't utter madness on my behalf.

Edited by Wez

10 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

It looks like I can modify the existing

SJ,

I think you might be right on the windscreen. I bought the Cutting Edge F-86A conversion years ago that had a clear resin windscreen, slats, slat well, and the rear fuselage. They also sold a set that just had the slats and slat well, which I also got. When I looked at the closeup photos I had of the windscreen as well as looking at  F-86A 47-0605 that we have on display here at Lackland AB, it looks like the angled clear section with the rounded hoodpiece  at the top/bottom (Does that make sense?) can be made from  thin acetate/polycarbonate and attached to the front of the kit windscreen; the flat section left underneath  would then simulate the armored glass panel pretty well, I think. What are  your thoughts? Myself, when I finally get around to it, Bruce Hinton's 'Squanee' will be my first choice. Watching and taking notes, or maybe just copying @Corsairfoxfouruncle's!

See the link to a photo of her taken in 1975; since then she has been painted overall with a flat silver laquer that looks pretty dismal- a fate that has befallen most of the aircraft displayed outdoors at Lackland. Due to the ravages of the Texas sun and birds/ critters, all intakes, exhausts, wheel bays, engine cowlings, etc. have either been screened off or sheeted over, so it's impossible to get detail photos. In addition, the original colors and markings are frequently changed when an aircraft is re-painted; for example, the P-47N on display has been done as France Gabreski's P-47D and the F-51H has been repainted as John Meyer's P-51D! Yechhh! (I apologize for the off-topic and highy biased comments!)

The second link is to a modeling article that has the best photos I was able to find of the F-86A windscreen; you probably already have them, but I have included the link for @Courageous or @tonyot as well as anybody else thinking about doing an F-86A. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Mike

https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Air-Force/North-American-F-86A-Sabre/2680226/L

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/maybe-the-dumbest-question-ever-made-regarding-f86-t115359.html

Edited by 72modeler
added link and text
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Courageous said:

Can you show us a pic?

Stuart

Not yet: I haven't decided yet: I do like those F-86A-5s so it may have the fibreglass intake and a different scheme. That bit is all a bit conjectural at the minute!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

SJ,

I think you might be right on the windscreen. I bought the Cutting Edge F-86A conversion years ago that had a clear resin windscreen, slats, slat well, and the rear fuselage. They also sold a set that just had the slats and slat well, which I also got. When I looked at the closeup photos I had of the windscreen as well as looking at  F-86A 47-0605 that we have on display here at Lackland AB, it looks like the angled clear section with the rounded hoodpiece  at the top/bottom (Does that make sense?) can be made from  thin acetate/polycarbonate and attached to the front of the kit windscreen; the flat section left underneath  would then simulate the armored glass panel pretty well, I think. What are  your thoughts? Myself, when I finally get around to it, Bruce Hinton's 'Squanee' will be my first choice. Watching and taking notes, or maybe just copying @Corsairfoxfouruncle's!

See the link to a photo of her taken in 1975; since then she has been painted overall with a flat silver laquer that looks pretty dismal- a fate that has befallen most of the aircraft displayed outdoors at Lackland. Due to the ravages of the Texas sun and birds/ critters, all intakes, exhausts, wheel bays, engine cowlings, etc. have either been screened off or sheeted over, so it's impossible to get detail photos. In addition, the original colors and markings are frequently changed when an aircraft is re-painted; for example, the P-47N on display has been done as France Gabreski's P-47D and the F-51H has been repainted as John Meyer's P-51D! Yechhh! (I apologize for the off-topic and highy biased comments!)

The second link is to a modeling article that has the best photos I was able to find of the F-86A windscreen; you probably already have them, but I have included the link for @Courageous or @tonyot as well as anybody else thinking about doing an F-86A. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Mike

https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Air-Force/North-American-F-86A-Sabre/2680226/L

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/maybe-the-dumbest-question-ever-made-regarding-f86-t115359.html

Beware of looking too much at the Lackland Sabre: it's an F-86A-1 and so has the rounded windshield and the 'long' canopy: it's not a bad starting point if you're doing an XP-86 but otherwise it only represents those 33 initial 47-FY machines. 

I took lots of photos of 48-178's screen, so its intricacies are etched in my mind now! Will hopefully post some more stuff later.

37 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I’m confused:drunk: was i building an F-86 ?  

Well, since you said you were sitting at the bar, I assumed you were taking notes on your beer coaster! my mistake! (If you only do one weenie cooker, a Sabre should be the one...or maybe a Hunter F6 or FGA9!)

Mike

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Beware of looking too much at the Lackland Sabre: it's an F-86A-1 and so has the rounded windshield and the 'long' canopy:

Yep- and for that reason, when I saw it, I only took closeups of the stabilizers, stabilizer fairings, tail lights, and the undercart. Like you, I have numerous photos of the windscreen and canopy, but nothing like what you probably have squirreled away in your archives. When you get to that point, I would like to ask if you could provide some photos/drawings that show the difference in the speedbrakes and wells between the A and the E/F...it would sure help me do a better job on either version. (Unless you have already posted this and I missed it.)

Mike

23 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Yep- and for that reason, when I saw it, I only took closeups of the stabilizers, stabilizer fairings, tail lights, and the undercart. Like you, I have numerous photos of the windscreen and canopy, but nothing like what you probably have squirreled away in your archives. When you get to that point, I would like to ask if you could provide some photos/drawings that show the difference in the speedbrakes and wells between the A and the E/F...it would sure help me do a better job on either version. (Unless you have already posted this and I missed it.)

Mike

I did post some elsewhere but can't recall where. But yes in any case I'll re-post and/or post more.

I don't want to say too much about the kit but did want to highlight the really nice ejection seat that Eduard included: it's a really nice example of resin and brass a/m at its best. Resin bits:

And put together with the PE parts added:

On the F-86A, the cockpit is black, black and black. So here it is with paint. It does need belts adding but should look pretty good.

And I'm waiting til the weekend before having a go at grinding plastic, so for now small bits. The F-86F tailplanes (inset image) need to be modified for the F-86A, where the elevator portion has a prominent mass balance:

• Like 3

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:26 PM, Sabrejet said:

I did post some elsewhere but can't recall where. But yes in any case I'll re-post and/or post more.

I do remember the post, but IIRC, it  just showed an E/F to show the correct droop of the speed brakes as well as the interior of the LH and RH well to show they were not mirror images. I do recall the A-model bays being less cluttered because of the lack of the all-flying tail. No hurry and don't go to any extra trouble, as I don't have any of my Sabre build projects in the queue, but I'm sure would be appreciated by all. 👍

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected text
  • Like 1

Since I'll be doing the speed brake wells soon, and after @72modeler asked so nicely, here is a quick rundown on the simple versions seen on the F-86A. First a period view which shows that the wells were dark interior green, as were the interiors of the brake panels themselves:

48-201 (3)

And some views of both sides on F-86A 48-178/G-SABR which I took while the paint was stripped (originally incorrect white gloss; due for correct dark green though I'm not sure that got done before it went back to the USA): LH side first...

x airbrake (1)

y airbrake (3)

y airbrake (1)

And right-hand side, much the same:

z airbrake (3)

z airbrake (2)

z airbrake (5)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

SJ,

On behalf of Sabre fans around the world- thank you, thank you, thank you! If you can't do decent F-86A speedbrakes and wells from these photos, you need to get out of the hobby! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your taking the time to share your knowledge and archives with the rest of us! 👍👍

Mike

• Like 2

An afternoon of doing stuff while it rains and rains outside: perfect! Belts added to the seat first of all:

9 (1)

Then flaps lengthened a bit:

9 (4)

9 (5)

And finally, deep breath, round-ended burr in the Dremel and off we go. Just realised I missed filling a vent on the right side aft fuselage and I'll also need to fill the rear-most 'pen nib' fairing once the fuselage halves are joined. But barring some more filling I'm happy with where it's ended up. Oh and cut out the speed brake wells too. Sanding/grinding debris still in evidence.

9 (2)

Then I've also made a start on cutting away and sanding the wing roots where the leading edge extension abuts the fuselage. Upper one done: lower one as it is in the kit.

9 (3)

• Like 4

Good going SJ, love the ejection seat.

Interesting seeing your flaps as after cutting the flaps out on my 1/72 build and joining the top & bottom parts together...they're different. Are the flap dimensions for top and bottom the same, it would make sense?

Stuart

This thing is fair wizzing along at the minute: I'm sure it won't last. Anyway today I've been able to do some sanding and getting the fuselage halves ready to join up. Cockpit walls done & Eduard PE etc attached. All standard kit stuff. The reprofiled tail section seems OK too: possibly a few more slivers of filler but I'll put on a coat of primer and see how it looks first.

10 (1)

10 (2)

10 (3)

10 (4)

And small but noticeable: added these mid-fuselage vents too:

10 (5)

It all needs tidying up a bit but it's a step closer.

• Like 5

Well now I have slats I decided to paint them. And while I was at it, I settled on the colour scheme too. Here's a teaser. I'll leave you all to guess it. No clues, no prizes. I'm going to keep you guessing unless anyone gets it!

• Like 3

Loving these rainy days. Right then: panel lines scribed and a guide coat of primer revealed all to be not too bad:

12 (1)

12 (2)

12 (3)

Still need to sort that tailcone bit, but first the speed brake bits, which being simple need not much to do. Plastic card and done.

12 (4)

Then a quick test fit, a run of MEK and done, barring a few detail bits.

12 (5)

Finally some brass strip for the actuator mounting bracket and (though you can't see them very well) more plastic card details on the forward and aft faces of the wells.

12 (6)

12 (7)

And voila! Two almost-ready F-86A fuselage halves. Sun's out here now, so probably walkies but hopefully tomorrow I can report fuselage halves joined...

12 (8)

• Like 7

That looks really good. If I were being picky (and I suspect you are too or you wouldn't be doing this??) I reckon it's worth saying now rather than afterwards that the reprofiled transitions at the tails appear (may just be the photos) slightly different left and right - the darker shapes which look like flats that the all-flying tails face up against is longer on the starboard side finishing close to your new scribed panel line, and the port side is shorter and more curved finishing further back from the new panel line.

ef00d646-3d70-455e-a497-179a393f5dd0.jpg

I am in two minds about hitting the "Submit Reply" button but I won't take offence if you tell me to sling my hook! I'm just conscious that when doing this kind of thing myself I can get blind to things that others can see with fresh eyes.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

That looks really good. If I were being picky (and I suspect you are too or you wouldn't be doing this??) I reckon it's worth saying now rather than afterwards that the reprofiled transitions at the tails appear (may just be the photos) slightly different left and right - the darker shapes which look like flats that the all-flying tails face up against is longer on the starboard side finishing close to your new scribed panel line, and the port side is shorter and more curved finishing further back from the new panel line.

I am in two minds about hitting the "Submit Reply" button but I won't take offence if you tell me to sling my hook! I'm just conscious that when doing this kind of thing myself I can get blind to things that others can see with fresh eyes.

Mmm. I see what you mean. I'll take a look and see what's afoot...

Fuselage halves together:

I also neatened up the tail area and got some filler in there (not shown), ready for re-modelling that bit. Also re-checked the tail fairings and I think what appears to be a mismatch is just shadow playing tricks. More tonight I hope.

• Like 7