Miles Gemini flown by Douglas Bader for Shell Oil

10thumbs

I have on my project list a 1/72 Croc models Gemini which I plan to build as G-AKHZ reportedly flown by Bader.  The airframe is said to be awaiting restoration at Hooton Park.

B & W photographs suggest a white upper fuselage, with my best educated guess, yellow overall with red trim and registration.

I would appreciate any replies which might help in this regard, thanks

• Like 1

I can't really help I'm sorry other than I believe it was Shell Mex, not Oil, if that makes any difference. However, I wait with baited breath to see how you get on.as I have the Dujin Gemini and I also have a penchant for 'industry' branded machines. I guess sparked by Airfix's Shell Heron.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

The Miles "House" colour and standard for much of the production was Cream overall with Red letters. , HZ was modified to Aries standard with two Gipsy Majors, HZ was owned for a time by Shell Mex & BP (who apparently had two) so the cowlings would be different. It's current state  is a wreck and it is light Blue in colour.

Shell colours for vehicles were originally Yellow with Red letters then with BP their tankers had Green cabs and Black chassis's with mainly Red tank with a Yellow top with Shell in Red. I've included this information which might help in sorting out colours on photographs.

John

• Thanks 1

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:48 PM, 10thumbs said:

I have on my project list a 1/72 Croc models Gemini which I plan to build as G-AKHZ reportedly flown by Bader.  The airframe is said to be awaiting restoration at Hooton Park.

B & W photographs suggest a white upper fuselage, with my best educated guess, yellow overall with red trim and registration.

I would appreciate any replies which might help in this regard, thanks

A number of years ago I was doing research on the colors of the Shell Oil Vegas and Orion and I was able to obtain from Shell the exact colors used by their aviation division in the 1930s.

Shell provided me with Pantone (PMS) color matches.

The yellow and red Shell Oil used from 1930-1947 are different than those used by Shell Oil today.

If you do determine that the Gemini you intend to model was painted in the Shell Oil yellow and red I can provide the exact color matches.

Tim

Edited by VH-USB

Hello

I sent the link to this thread to Peter Amos, widely regarded as "Mr. Miles".

Here is his reply that he hopes will be of help.

Best wishes

Chris Royle

Many thanks but I hadn’t seen this forum before.  For the record,  Shell's Gemini was laid down at Woodley as a Mk.1A but completed after the collapse in late 1947 by Ron Paine’s Wolverhampton Aviation Ltd as a Mk.3A:   

c/n WAL/C.1003  M.65 Gemini Mk.3A.   Regd G-AMGF (CofR.3067) 29.11.50 to Shell Refining & Marketing Co Ltd, London EC3 (based Croydon).  CofA No.A.3067 issued 27.3.51.  Added to Shell's insurance 2.4.51.  Flown to Lagos, Nigeria by Douglas Bader in 1951.  Cld 1.1.62 & regd 22.1.62 to Shell Aircraft Ltd, London EC3 (based Croydon).  Flown to FG Miles Ltd, Shoreham in early 1955 for modification to M.65 Gemini Mk.7 (basically modified to Aries airframe standard, but retaining its 145 hp DH Gipsy Major 10/2 engines).  First flown as a M.65 Gemini Mk.7 24.5.55.  On 28.6.55, Capt Leonard Arthur Madeleine flew G-AMGF, with Bader as P1, Croydon-Shoreham-Croydon.  He then made the following flights in G-AMGF: 28.3.56, with J Warburton as P1, Rome-Marseilles-Paris and on 29.3.56, Paris-Croydon; 1.5.57, with Bader as P1, Croydon-Croydon and 18.6.57, with J Randall as P1, Croydon-Leavesden-Croydon.  The name of firm was changed on 24.5.57 to The Shell Company of the United Kingdom Ltd, London EC3 (based Croydon, later Heathrow).  Dismantled at Heathrow prior to 12.63.  PWFU 6.1.64.  The wings and tailplane were donated to the College of Aeronautics, Cranfield, Bedfordshire for destructive testing 5.2.64. 

The photo below was taken at Croydon in 1959 and, from memory, I think it was painted cream with crimson trim.

(Sorry, I seem unable to post the photo....help please!)

• Like 1

Hello Chris

Thank you for your input. Do you have a photo posting account with some one  such as Photobucket.  If not  please send me a PM private message and I'll be pleased to help.

I do have Peter's excellent book which covers the description above for G-AMGF.

Regards

John

Re- thread...

The paragraph re G-AHKZ  in Peter's book does not mention Bader by name.  The Aries aircraft also had larger fins and rudders than the Gemini BTW.

Here is the photo passed on by Chris from Air Britain's site. Photo Copyright of Air Britain

Miles%20Gemini%20G-AMGF_zpspp4a5pvl.png

• Like 2

Looks like I need to do my Croc model as G-AMGF flown by Bader in 1951, prior to the upgrade. Would not require extra work on the nacelles, and tail.  Overall cream with crimson trim, as per the later photo above, thank you very much.

I am a little disappointed in that the Shell colors would be much more flashy. I have ordered a cheap used copy of the book "Winged Shell: Oil Company Aviators, 1927-87" but now I don't see investing in the Air Britain Book, if Bader's name is not mentioned in connection with G-AKHG. I am now unconvinced that Bader ever flew G-AKHG.

• 2 weeks later...

If it helps, there is a photo of Bader flying a Miles Gemini in some editions of Paul Brickhill's Reach For The Sky.  It was definitely in the old Campanion Book Club edition.  Afraid I don't have mine any more so can't be more help.

• 1 month later...