Best 1/35 Little Bird?

Doom3r

Thinking about what I am going to build after will be done with UH-1E and decided to continue helicopters spree. I've built long time ago Italeri 1/72 AH-6 and thinking now to trade a microscope for a good Little Bird model :) On a serious note though this helicopter is really small and I thinking about doing it in 1/35 scale. It looks like there are 2 options: Dragon & Kitty Hawk. While Dragon one is quite expensive on the well known online shops Kitty Hawk (the version with the crew) is available in my local hobby store at about same price (few bucks cheaper). Did anyone had any experience with either of models and what would you recommend?

Thanks!

• Like 1

I built the Dragon one when it first came out many years ago, i think 96-97 ? It was for a client and built up as a Vietnam era Loach, and he seemed satisfied. I dont remember any major issues with the build. Actually i wouldn't mind doing another one. Sadly i no longer have photo’s as they went with a dead computer. 

Dennis

Haven't built either the Dragon or the Kittyhawk version, but I think the Kittyhawk version is very well thought of and I believe the prices are now dropping - although there was a vendor on eBay from China who was fraudlent, so beware of prices that look too good to be true. For a while the Dragon kit was the only option, and that pushed up prices.

If haven't seen these already, and you're building a Littlebird, these threads on ARC are an absolute must:-

1. 160th SOAR :- http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/189978-ah-6c-mh-6-photos-from-ah6c-sip-pics-are-back/

2. Units even more secretive than 160th SOAR :- http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/242326-special-operations-hughesmd500s-not-160th-soar/

This thread will also be useful:-

3. Operation Gothic Serpent:- http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/301695-operation-gothic-serpent-aircraft-references/&

Hope this helps.

Edited by Sky dancer
Spelling!!!

The biggest issue with the Dragon kits - at least with the Loach - is that the front door frames need to be pulled outward to match the canopy shape. Some choose to cut off the frames, attach them to the windscreen, then back onto the fuselage.

I just put the almost-complete kit back in the box 😣

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you are building an earlier Littlebird, you need to use the Dragon kit.  For a later one, you have to go with Kitty Hawks version.   I actually prefer the Dragon kit, it has properly represented rivets, which cover the real thing in reality.  Otherwise, you are stuck with a model of a "flying pin cushion" or you'll have to cover the Kitty Hawk kit in Archer rivets.   

• Like 1

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 16:01, 11bravo said:

If you are building an earlier Littlebird, you need to use the Dragon kit.  For a later one, you have to go with Kitty Hawks version.   I actually prefer the Dragon kit, it has properly represented rivets, which cover the real thing in reality.  Otherwise, you are stuck with a model of a "flying pin cushion" or you'll have to cover the Kitty Hawk kit in Archer rivets.   

Same here! The Dragon kit has its flaws with the poor fit of the windscreen and the very rude and visible connection of the tail to the fuselage. Overall, imho, it still looks better than the Kitty Hawk.

• Like 1