Lockheed Vega Jimmie Mattern, MPM 1/72 modified

A build from 7 years ago:

The MPM 1/72 scale kit was the base for the project.
Several details have to be deleted and others added:

1) Deletion of all windows and door

2) Re-scribing of door in new position

3) Addition of faired tail wheel

4) Re-doing of the prop hub

5) New decals

6) Vacuformed canopy (just in case)

7) Modification of the fuselage areas where the two aft landing gear struts rest, which had four fairings (two on each side) instead of one as the kit subject.

8 ) Two short exhaust tubes replacing kit’s.

9) Venturi on the left hand-side of the fuselage

The kit is nice; it is not a short-run kit but full injection with metal molds. The level of detail is good but there are no locating devices for the parts as in a short-run kit. 

This kit has been reviewed extensively on the Net.

The fit is just good, with adjustments needed for the wing/fus joint and the engine support part and the fuselage (the former a tad smaller than the opening in the fuselage). The tail feathers’ to fuselage joint again need refining. In my sample I had to remove a little bit of material from the inside of the wheel pants for the wheels to fit comfortably.

The canopy, wing and fuselage joint need also attention. The canopy must be glued first once all the dry trials have been performed to satisfaction.
The kit's instructions will mislead you on gluing the LG oleo legs (A9-A10) to part A21. That's incorrect, as photos clearly show, the oleos should be glued to the wheel pants', into the recesses provided for that effect (small notch on top of are in relief on the inner side of pants).

I am very happy to see a civil kit of a relevant plane, which was presented in many versions and has the potential to be converted in even more models of truly significant machines. Applause and well done, MPM.

I printed my own decals based on a drawing sent to me by the late Jim Schubert (thanks, Jim, I know you are looking and having fun). My gratitude to the person that made that drawing too.

01.jpg

02.jpg

new+020.jpg

new+021.jpg

new+033.jpg

new+034.jpg

07.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

14.jpg

05.jpg

17.jpg

20.jpg

new+038.jpg

new+040.jpg

new+043.jpg

new+048.jpg

new+095.jpg

new+101.jpg

Edited by Moa
  • Like 19

'My gratitude to the person that made that drawing too.'

Interesting piece of trivia: That drawing was probably the one made by Walt Jefferies (or one of the several later copies of his original). Jefferies was a very interesting character as he was the Art Director for the original Star Trek TV series and responsible for the 'design' of the original Starship Enterprise and much of the hardware used in that show. He was a fellow ex-WW2 bomber pilot pal of Gene Roddenberry's (doubtless how he got the job), but also a serious aviation historian, an early member of the AAHS and a Waco owner/pilot.  I think the Romulan 'Bird of Prey' was probably inspired by Mattern's Vega !

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roger Holden said:

'My gratitude to the person that made that drawing too.'

Interesting piece of trivia: That drawing was probably the one made by Walt Jefferies (or one of the several later copies of his original). Jefferies was a very interesting character as he was the Art Director for the original Star Trek TV series and responsible for the 'design' of the original Starship Enterprise and much of the hardware used in that show. He was a fellow ex-WW2 bomber pilot pal of Gene Roddenberry's (doubtless how he got the job), but also a serious aviation historian, an early member of the AAHS and a Waco owner/pilot.  I think the Romulan 'Bird of Prey' was probably inspired by Mattern's Vega !

Nice piece of trivia, Roger, thanks.

I knew of him, having participated in the  translation project into Spanish of "These are the voyages" by Marc Cushman.

Edited by Moa
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...