Mosquito Mk.IV, DZ319 - Painted over canopy?

WhitleyZ6743

I came across this picture of Mosquito Mk.IV, DZ319, HS-H of 109 Squadron and it seems as if the canopy has been painted over causing the cockpit to look very dark and you can't see through the top.

If so it seems as if it all has been painted except the front and side windows.

r-in-denmark-after-the-war-jpg.212770

Does anybody have anymore information or whether this was a procedure for a few Mosquitos?

DK333, HS-F also 109 Squadron had a clear cockpit so I am a bit lost.

It may have something to do with night bombing to reduce glare & dazzle from searchlights.  I’ve seen pictures of other a/c with the bottom of side windows painted black.  Cheers.

12 hours ago, Brian said:

It may have something to do with night bombing to reduce glare & dazzle from searchlights.  I’ve seen pictures of other a/c with the bottom of side windows painted black.  Cheers.

I was thinking the same, just never seen the canopy painted over like this before.

3 hours ago, Phil Evans said:

It could be equipped with Oboe or Gee equipment.

Yeah it was Oboe equipped

Hi

interesting choice, painting it, I can see a reason for painting the nose glazing

but personally i would have gone for something removable in the canopy,  like blackout curtain material

cheers

jerry

• Like 1

I agree, I think it's some kind of shade inside the cockpit.  There's absolutely no good reason for painting the canopy when that would prevent the crew from seeing incoming night fighters, or for any number of other airmanship tasks (eg monitoring other aircraft in the circuit when coming into land).  

3 minutes ago, Procopius said:

The famous B.IV "Grim Reaper" seems to have had something similar:

35805314761_d7f8791eb5_b.jpg

Yeah, I’ve seen a few images of DK333 even an angle from behind somhowing a clear canopy, just the windows on the nose that  are blacked out.

12 minutes ago, mhaselden said:

I agree, I think it's some kind of shade inside the cockpit.  There's absolutely no good reason for painting the canopy when that would prevent the crew from seeing incoming night fighters, or for any number of other airmanship tasks (eg monitoring other aircraft in the circuit when coming into land).  

Some sort of curtain around the rear of the cockpit?

1 minute ago, WhitleyZ6743 said:

Some sort of curtain around the rear of the cockpit?

I'm thinking more of a sun-screen or similar that can be pulled forward over the central upper glazing.  Perhaps useful to keep the cockpit (slightly) cooler on a hot summer's day?

• Like 1

All Oboe equipped Mosquitos of Nos 105 and 109 Squadron had their nose blisters and side windows overpainted as Oboe was very secret . This could explain the cockpit inner shades when the aircraft were parked to stop prying eyes.  I have reference that No.162  Squadron when based at Bourn that their aircrew were not allowed any access to the Oboe cockpits of their sister squadron  No.105.

From studying photographs  black finish Oboe Mosquito aircraft had the clear nose radome overpainted in a black finish. The Oboe Mosquitoes in Day finish appear to have the nose overpainted in Ocean grey. This is a subject that needs more research any further info  because of its wartime secrecy.

Edited by T-21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2