1/72 Boeing 314 Clipper (Combat Model) vacu

JWM

Hi

Regarding walk markings on top - I do not see too much of it here:

clipper%2B7.jpg&key=266f647db63f0226d4c2

On bottom take from Lisbon crash this is region of left outer engine, the opening for exhaust pipe is nicely seen, so the walking path should be marked just behind it. I do not see it there... Am I wrong?

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

P.S>

Some movie with Clippers in Lisbon Harbour from 1942, nice takes from taxing. One Clipper looks to be still silver, the second one apears in background and loooks darker - so maybe British or the ten shades scheme? Shots with Clipper starts after almost 5 minutes from start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onAAv2mrJzo

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Hi

Report from progress:

I unmasked big windows and started to immitate small with dark gray glossy decals

46559763935_4dbd692e1d_b.jpg

I applied white decals on place where US flag (printed) will be applied

47475060111_3084ab82f1_b.jpg

To be cont.

Regards

J-W

• Like 5

P.S.

It is not well visible on above takes  but please note that de-icing blankets on leading edges were painted already.

I decided to do the walk area markings. I am using some extra Lancaster decals (both Matchbox and Airfix) - but it will be a tuff fight with silvering...

Cheers

J-W

Hi

Further report rom progress:

40522387943_3d016cb853_b.jpg

40522387783_39a9c0d796_b.jpg

Problem is with registration. I have to cut out all lettering from white decaal and then apply light grey ones. The print is not that dense,  so after applying it look like a modern low-visility inscription ;)  

To be cont.

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 5

Hi,

I made two resin copies of DF loop aerials (of Italeri C 47) and attached them on positions:

46579732825_aa073e4bf4_b.jpg

I applied bottom decals:

46579732915_c3754715b4_b.jpg

But the light register (printed decal) designed for top of wing was too fading so I had to quit with it. 

Instead I had to use white lettering from Techmod set. Perheps it should be light grey, not insignia white - but nothing is sure so I have ome margin of freedom here (at least I hope so...). Simply I had no other option at the moment

46579733065_441e71fb3a_b.jpg

We are approaching to end.  I have to add exhaust pipes, ome dirt of exploitation (not too much since it is a machine of US President! - no dirt allowed) and small corrections, navigation lamps etc...

Best regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 9

Hi 

I added dirt on the waterline

47465028742_8f6d2fb415_b.jpg

And exhaust pipe

47517771881_1722fde52d_b.jpg

47517772921_a2daf29dbb_b.jpg

The trolley wa alo a bit modified

47465029122_99da3018e5_b.jpg

I hope to finish soon...

Cheers

J-W

• Like 10

9 hours ago, John_W said:

Beautiful build.

I am always supprised there was never a maritime patrol version of the clipper with depth charges and turrets, an "American Sunderland" if you like.

Thank you :).

Sunderland is smaller, of size of Coronado rather. Why Clipper was not converted to military? Maybe Clipper was too expensieve for massive production? Or too slow?  German machine in size of Clipper was BV  222 (really only a bit bigger - I have Revell model in stash and was comparing sizes) , it was designed also as airliner for Atlantic route, just before WWII and then converted to rather transport then patrol bomber, anyway with turrets and MGs.   But BV 222 was faster with 7200 hp compare to 6000 hp (314) or  6400 hp (314A) of Clipper, 

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, JWM said:

Thank you :).

Sunderland is smaller, of size of Coronado rather. Why Clipper was not converted to military? Maybe Clipper was too expensieve for massive production? Or too slow?  German machine in size of Clipper was BV  222 (really only a bit bigger - I have Revell model in stash and was comparing sizes) , it was designed also as airliner for Atlantic route, just before WWII and then converted to rather transport then patrol bomber, anyway with turrets and MGs.   But BV 222 was faster with 7200 hp compare to 6000 hp (314) or  6400 hp (314A) of Clipper, 

Cheers

J-W

The ball turret would have been a bit tricky... :devil: Fun what-if though. In reality too big, too expensive? The side sponson design would have restricted downward visibility a lot, a big deal in maritime patrol. The great range would have been very useful but still, you'd be better off building three Catalinas for every Clipper.

• Like 2

Many thanks! 

Small correction - BV 222 was not faster then Boeing 314. The maximum speed was same and cruise speed was on favour of Boeing. 

How big is Clipper you can notice on bolow photos: the drawings of Boeing 314 are scaled to 1/72, the fuselges and wings of Airfix Sunderlad (really small!) and Revell  BV 222 are for comparison:

47472128742_ac7b8cd68a_b.jpg

46609407385_f7896ce95d_b.jpg

I have finished corrections today. So tomorrow on RFI, I hope!

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Very interesting project. My Airfix kit has been waiting already some time to be started.

Thank you! I was more or less dreaming on doing Clipper in 1/72 for some ...50 years! Not every day, of course ;) . When I saw in Airfix catalogue Clipper for first time about 1970 , as a 10 years old kid ,  I was so much unhappy that it is in 1/144 and no kit of her in 1/72!...

Best regards

J-W

Finished! 

More photos on RFI

46614962825_7f31814492_b.jpg

So it took exactly two months....

Thanks for watching, and for very valuable comments. Special many thanks for @TallBlondJohn  for your help! Also I am grateful for @occa who was at the start of this trip :)

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek 

Edited by JWM
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

It looks as though they had a problem getting their own flag the right way round even then, if this is accurate!

Nice model though!

Ian

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

It looks as though they had a problem getting their own flag the right way round even then, if this is accurate!

Nice model though!

Ian

Ian, indeed this is strange but it is accurate I think

clipper%2B7.jpg&key=266f647db63f0226d4c2

The flag was outside external engine, so the stars area is closer to fuselage! @KRK4m also noticed this "failure" (in original livery)  already/

Many thanks for comment!

Regards

J-W

• 10 months later...

Sorry I'm late.....!! 

What an excellent build, and a really good set of reference material and research. 

Thanks to you and all the contributers! 👍

On 03/04/2019 at 19:49, limeypilot said:

they had a problem getting their own flag the right way round

I recall having a discussion about this kind of thing...... It started with the Union flags on the fuselage of the Silver Spitfire G-IRTY. 

So there's 2 ways of looking at this, 

1. Either you apply your flag as it appears in a formal reference illustration, with the "pole" on the left hand and the flag fluttering to the right..... Or 

2. You visualise the pole fixed to the airframe and see what the slipstream does to the flag. It's blown backwards. 

Now 1. looks fine on the port side and the same results as 2.

It's on the starboard side that things get odd, or reversed. 

TWA 1049G Super Connie is a good example of the American way of visualising it 

IMG_20200210_214549

The blue quarter is always "attached to the pole", and with the plane doing 300mph it's going to look wrong blowing forwards. 

There has to be an asymmetry in the design for it to be so noticeable. Lots of flags are the same both ways. 

But the US flag is very one-handed. 

The UK Union flag is a bit more subtle in it's asymmetric way but strictly speaking you need to decide if you use 1. or 2.

above. 

Anyway, I've got my little Airfix 1.144 kit. 

I started the build, and stopped while it would still fit in the box. 

And your brilliant results and research has got me looking again! 😍👏👏

• Thanks 1