Berlin Airlift C-47 1:72 (assigned to the shelf of doom) Reborn, and now FINISHED*

Dansk

I think this shot shows the sunbleached/faded feel best of how the paint is currently.
Perhaps it will also accentuate when it is matt coated.

47690090101_bbad9403d1_h.jpg

I think this shot below is really interesting.

47690090021_62de18e361_h.jpg

This perfectly symbolizes my frustrations with the hobby boss kit i started with.
Their wheels are extremely innacurate just like so much of their kit.

I know i will never build a kit by them after this gb experience.
Also I think its strange how small the eduard wheels are - they look silly.
The aires is what i will use i think they look really good.
I think the the airfix wheels are very very good straight out of the box also.

Still playing with propeller treatments. I think this is where i’ll end that experiment.

47690090191_6d7ace051e_h.jpg

Any comments are always welcome 
Thx for reading

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 3

Hi Paul, those differences are really big between those wheels and the Airfix ones aren’t that bad at all!

The only problem i have with the Airfix ones is that they are bulged where they are flat and the real deal didn’t bulge that much!

I bought the same aires wheels to make life easyer...

You are doing great on that C47 :popcorn:

cheers, Jan

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jan

I took a photo to show the hobbyboss rear wheel and the airfix for comparison also.

Airfix seems really good there also.

That guard/sheild/cover thing seems to be on some references and not on others on the web - but even when it’s not there (like the hobby boss example) the real unit doesn’t have coil springs it has a gas strut, and the wheel circumference compared to the tyre circumference is way off too on hobbyboss.

47637517422_2065a36e16_h.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have to say that there is some excellent work being done here and I must echo what was mentioned above in a couple of places- some beautiful weathering plus the overall attention to detail/accuracy is outstanding.

Great work!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spad said:

I have to say that there is some excellent work being done here and I must echo what was mentioned above in a couple of places- some beautiful weathering plus the overall attention to detail/accuracy is outstanding.

Great work!

Thanks @Spad that’s really really nice of you. 👍🙏

I have just given it a gloss coat this evening so i can it a panel line wash next.

• Like 1

Loaded up with a flory models dark dirt wash here with a brush.

When it’s completely dry i will softly scrub it all away to something subtle so it just leaves an overall slightly used feel.

47708177631_2999390e10_h.jpg

Here you can get a feel of how the decals have been embedded, sprayed to reduce the bright colours and decayed.

46792194775_f711cea03d_b.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Here’s an update:

Karate guy (...remember him?)
Well he’s now joined by an apprehensive dog stroker and a suspicious-looking armless chubby guy now.

47717369011_73f03073e4_b.jpg

The whole dak has had that dark dirt wash rubbed down  - I left some areas with much heavier dirt wash than others, and once happy I applied 3 successive coats of matt varnish to seal it. 

40750980753_c6cd39d135_b.jpg

32774073897_011cedbdd1_h.jpg

40750980633_4a1ba046c8_b.jpg

40750980603_2a2aa60768_b.jpg

It’s been a while since i saw those boxes...

46801030455_2acfbd3966_k.jpg

Exhausts have been drilled out and undercarriage worked on, and painted after this shot...

46801030735_aa8bcd7f3b_c.jpg

And I couldn’t resist a rough little test with chubby suspicious guy in situ
(doors are white tack-ed in place)

40750980543_e50247e44b_h.jpg

40750979973_5f259494de_k.jpg

It’s been a really long build but there’s still a ton to do.

Wish me luck!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, janneman36 said:

I love every inch of it Paul!! Excellent job👍

cheers, Jan

Thank you Jan.

I hope the rivetting is going well - Your’s is going to be a masterpiece on completion!

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, GliderGuider said:

Hi Paul,

I'm loving this build. Your attention to detail and weathering is fabulous. I will be sure to visit this thread again often for inspiration. 

Matt

Thanks so much Matt i really appreciate that.🤗

The deadline is looming - I hope i can complete it in time 🏁🤨

This is incredible.

I used to think the WW2 olive drab/neutral grey scheme was the most boring option possible for an aircraft that wore hundreds of colorful and interesting liveries. But you proved that wrong.

Seriously impressive work.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2019 at 7:08 PM, obermartin said:

This is incredible.

I used to think the WW2 olive drab/neutral grey scheme was the most boring option possible for an aircraft that wore hundreds of colorful and interesting liveries. But you proved that wrong.

Seriously impressive work.

You just made my evening - thanks so much 🙂

The aircraft is nearly done now, we’re on the home straight! 💪

I have attached the cargo doors and tried to chip / weather them like the photo reference.

46827667275_5c8c1f22e8_k.jpg

The undercarriage is installed with the aires wheels. I think aires got the size right to my eyes (pre weathered UC here)...

46827667065_8718a08998_h.jpg

I have weathered these with weathering powder. It’s really fun to do this - really effective stuff but the humbrol powder is really messy, it gets everywhere but i enjoyed trying it.

47691551602_a101dd8966_c.jpg

Everything’s been given another flat coat to seal the powder.
I’ve added dirty stains from the tank filling points on the upper wing surfaces together with some other bits and bobs like the photo reference also.

32800838797_a1182cb88b_h.jpg

The oily dirty engines i tried to get like the photo, the underside was a weathering ‘guesstimate’.

33867239578_a184af0f7f_k.jpg

33867239658_2af560ce99_h.jpg

The props i think came out ok to me, they seem to match the trashy airframe ok perhaps. The radials are oilier than the exxon valdez.

47691525662_dc568922e2_h.jpg

I’ve tried not to go too far with weathering but this is one trashy plane from the photo so it had to be quite heavy.

So just aerials and glazing masks to remove (and one exhaust i forgot to add 🙄) then she’s done i think. 🙌

Then the truck has progressed a little too... more on that to follow.

Thanks for reading! Hope you like ;)

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 2

Seriously enjoying this build!

Loving the attention to small details and the execution is, to me, an object lesson in building a well observed replica of a very hard-worked aeroplane. Bravo!

ATB
Rick

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Spad said:

Seriously enjoying this build!

Loving the attention to small details and the execution is, to me, an object lesson in building a well observed replica of a very hard-worked aeroplane. Bravo!

ATB
Rick

Thank you sooo much rick.

i’m kinda making it up as i go along. I’m not really very experienced and its a bit hit and miss / trial and error and theres tons of dodgy workmanship but some things are ok and i’m really glad you appreciate them. 👍😁

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 10:09 PM, Dansk said:

Thanks for reading! Hope you like

No I hate it😂 (doesn't seem to be an irony emoji)

The detail that you have put into this build, and following on from this initial issues, have been an delight to follow. In my view this has been a masterclass in building a DC3, also you seem to be enjoying it. Its just that every time I look at this thread and then at my work bench - my DC3 faces me.

Thanks for sharing the ride with us.

On 5/2/2019 at 7:37 PM, Paul821 said:

No I hate it😂 (doesn't seem to be an irony emoji)

The detail that you have put into this build, and following on from this initial issues, have been an delight to follow. In my view this has been a masterclass in building a DC3, also you seem to be enjoying it. Its just that every time I look at this thread and then at my work bench - my DC3 faces me.

Thanks for sharing the ride with us.

Thank you Paul i’m really happy for your nice comments 🙏

It’s exciting going to town on all the weathering stuff, maybe i’ve overdone it here and there though.

I have to tell you though my energy is starting to waiver a touch now on the final hurdles of truck and loading crew - it’s been quite a marathon this gb 🤪

I am really rather excited to see how your’s comes out also. From what I’ve seen with the crisp high gloss white, and silver with that air Anglia yellow scheme will absolutely rock, It’s such a great retro scheme - will look cool when you have all the final details in place. 👍

I am also interested in a making similar Berlin Airlift diorama with a C-54. For the truck, along with the Airfix Autocar tractor that comes with the tanker trailer, take a l look at several of PST Models (Belarus?)...they have a number of tractor/trailer models with Ford/GMC/Studebaker tractors but the trailers look very similar to what you might need.

On 5/4/2019 at 9:36 PM, Tubby82 said:

I am also interested in a making similar Berlin Airlift diorama with a C-54. For the truck, along with the Airfix Autocar tractor that comes with the tanker trailer, take a l look at several of PST Models (Belarus?)...they have a number of tractor/trailer models with Ford/GMC/Studebaker tractors but the trailers look very similar to what you might need.

Yes Thanks tubby. The PST models 1/72 ford g8ta is the trailer i got, quite close but not 100% but it works.

And the 1/72 tractor unit i got is an autocar from airfix, a perfect fit.

So close to the end now.
The truck is 90% done its just got a coat of klear ready for decalling.
It Needs lights also and maybe a dirt wash.
Then a matt coat.

40832624633_9a9bcca9ab_b.jpg

The motley crew are in some form of shape. (They look ridiculous, i will try and position them out of sights as much as possible on the final photos.)
Matt coat is needed.

33921794808_b12c3275cb_b.jpg

And all the aerials are on so just need to unmask the windows and its done.

33921794838_5cae883497_b.jpg

All the aerials seem less faded on the subject aircraft so i have kept them a touch darker than the faded airframe.

The subject aircraft has an odd teardrop appendage just aft of the radome. 
I tried to make one of these using some old unused part from a failed build kit)
I think it worked ok, maybe a bit overscale though.

46882512615_e0c926f3c9_b.jpg

33921795038_733a5fbb8e_b.jpg

Nearly there!....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

Great work Paul and a very good eye for detail👍

cheers, Jan

Thanks a lot Jan. 👍 I hope your riveting phase is nearly at an end?

35 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Thanks a lot Jan. 👍 I hope your riveting phase is nearly at an end?

It almost is and i did a update..

But nevertheless  i am afraad i don’t make it in time to finish it for this group build.. this is al because of the steep  learng curve as this was my first ever with this kind of materials and rivets..

cheers, Jan

12 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

It almost is and i did a update..

But nevertheless  i am afraad i don’t make it in time to finish it for this group build.. this is al because of the steep  learng curve as this was my first ever with this kind of materials and rivets..

cheers, Jan

Oh noooooooo.

Gotta admire the commitment to utter perfection though. It’s really amazing you know.

• Like 1