Berlin Airlift C-47 1:72 (assigned to the shelf of doom) Reborn, and now FINISHED*

Dansk

3 hours ago, Dansk said:

Ah - makes sense, now i know what you mean. Thanks!

By the way while we’re dialoguing, i’m gonna attempt to rivet this with a riveter tool.

Do you know good reference for a daks rivet pattern?

Hi Paul,

I have a linky for you, I downloaded this once but lost...went on the prowl tonight and got it back...

It is one of the most accurate drawings you can find and use, the only thing is with this scan that it isn't perfect but very usable..

Just double click it and download this...

dc3.gif

Cheers, Jan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Hi Paul,

I have a linky for you, I downloaded this once but lost...went on the prowl tonight and got it back...

It is one of the most accurate drawings you can find and use, the only thing is with this scan that it isn't perfect but very usable..

Just double click it and download this...

dc3.gif

Cheers, Jan

Brilliant Jan thanks so much. That’s really nice of you. It’s good to have you around on this GB👍;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing much interesting to show puctures of right now.

The fuselage is buttoned up and im not so good at sanding and filling but that is in progress.

I had a warped wing that i’m trying to fix
47457212652_bec8251c71_h.jpg 

Been experimenting with chipping the props with the hairspray technique.

It looks rubbish and way overdone so i’ll start again.

47457212492_d983a2024c_h.jpg

...oh and i completely messed up the upper wing to lower wing / under fuselage and had to completely start that again!

Edited by Dansk

By the way that warpage is pretty easy to correct on Airfix kits as the plastic is pretty soft and they react very well to a hot water treatment...

I always hold them in hot tap water for a short wile  and bend em in the shape i want them to keep and while hot i suddenly hold them in a cold water tap stream and then they should hold their shape....

keep up the good work!

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

19 hours ago, janneman36 said:

By the way that warpage is pretty easy to correct on Airfix kits as the plastic is pretty soft and they react very well to a hot water treatment...

I always hold them in hot tap water for a short wile  and bend em in the shape i want them to keep and while hot i suddenly hold them in a cold water tap stream and then they should hold their shape....

keep up the good work!

cheers, Jan

You sir, are a genius 💡👍

40551160523_d179872248_h.jpg

• Thanks 1

My c-47 now has its complete wings all attached as we speak (albeit a few huge gaps that need filling / sanding.)

I think the wheel wells work pretty ok now the nacelles/cowlings are now on. The wells have been given a touch of dry brush and greasy looking ink wash also.

32582601037_776e17c1e7_b.jpg

The aircraft also now sports very small oil coolers. They still need a bit of fettling though.

32582641127_4d3e3525bc_b.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 4

A wee update on the airlift c-47.

I have been sanding and filling ad infinitum which i dislike i’m really not good at it. It takes me a long time to do.

33689555348_32b812517b_h.jpg

And then it got primed

40600311033_737ffcc5fb_h.jpg

I have been attempting to sand and fill around the cockpit glazing area also.

But i’m just so bad at this stuff but it really makes me respect others work on the GB which looks so effortlessly perfect 

So i’ve tried and tried and finally its sort of half ok-ish i think (well i really want to move on with it now anyway).
Of course had to add the escape hatch ;) (copyright @janneman36)

(As you can see its been sprayed with a base coat of flat aluminium now also.)

32623840707_743305d5dd_h.jpg

32623840397_1ab0475e0a_h.jpg

With my five thumbs I snapped off a ‘thingy’ which was subsequently ate by the carpet monster.
So i had to fudge one of those.

40600311103_c35699ce6f_h.jpg

So the whole thing is now coated in (very flakey?) tamiya flat aluminium.
This will be sanded smooth, futured, given a coat of hairspray and then after preshading and painting in olive drab then i’ll chip off the top coats to reveal the metal below.

Its interesting to compare a bog standard tamiya aluminium to ak interactives aluminium and burnt metal i have been testing out on a starfighter.

40600310523_f715982824_h.jpg

It doesnt matter so much with the dak the aluminium quality as most will be covered up.

Am really looking forward to getting on to the next stage and on from sanding/filling.

Thanks for reading

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

Great work Paul! The extra work on that cockpit area will pay off as looks very promising😎

I love that you use the idea of the escape hatch as well as it looks da part😉

cheers, Jan

Thanks a lot Jan - the fun paint / weathering stage is ahead 👍

• Like 1

Good evening all.
There’s been an abundance of activity on the Airlift Dak since the previous update.

The Tamiya aluminium was clear coated then hairspray applied everywhere (3 coats).
(All of this applies to both the aircraft and the cargo truck - remember that truck?!)
Some of the hairspray atomised so had to be sanded back and reapplied.

47588331831_e54dda6260_h.jpg

After an hour’s curing of the hairspray i preshaded everywhere.

47588331701_4bf7218db1_h.jpg

47588331651_c69f9b54b2_h.jpg

And layed down my own mix of slightly faded OD.
The truck was made less faded.

47535360112_169ba77b90_h.jpg

The underside of the dak i freehanded the demarkation line between it and the OD upper surfaces so it feels roughly sprayed rather than a show bird.

After an hour or so (before the paint fully cures) 
I chipped off the OD/shade coats.
And it works in better / worse degrees in different areas.

I think it works really good on the truck with a darker more solid metal feel...

47535360322_6d697377bc_h.jpg

but the dak needs aluminium and i went to crazy on it. Some areas really dont work at all.

The effect is so easy to overdo. 
When done it had drifted very far from the subject aircraft.

47588331471_a8c79e9822_h.jpg

47535360182_73bec9adf7_h.jpg

32646034487_246dcfe8e7_h.jpg

So this evening i’ve re-covered most of it and will do more subtle chipping of that new paint tomorrow.

I’ve added more faded areas and dodgy overspray trying to replicate the tempelhof plane and some post shading but theres still a way to go to get closer.

46864584134_38fbb2d33e_h.jpg

46673055685_4a7e75a330_h.jpg

The starboard side allowed a little creative freedom as no photos of that side exist.

46864584384_676ee4e762_h.jpg

46673053215_e8a462e380_h.jpg

I think with that subtle chipping next more paint work, and some panel line washes and effects i think it could come together i decided to pass on riveting it.

This is the fun bit i think i love mucking about paint ;)
Thx for reading!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @janneman36,

Yes, My word this is one scruffy-looking c-47 🙂

A little more work on the paint and re-starting the chipping this evening...

32652399257_4b0558d1a5_o.jpg

46870829324_b92e789c31_b.jpg

46870829464_d26bd80cef_h.jpg

I still have to weather it with washes and dirt and grime and such, 

but i think the base colours to start from are starting to work and in the spirit of the source photo to my eyes and the chipping is less intense although overdone in parts.

The silver doped ailerons/elevators in-particular need dulling but they have only just been unmasked.

Theres a few mistakes to rectify but i have just given it a coat of future and i will continue from there. The gloss really exaggerates the shades.

46870829314_d559ae7478_h.jpg

The truck should be a lot darker than the aircraft so that needs rectifying next.

32652399567_9aacf87add_h.jpg

47595020741_7fc461fb3e_k.jpg

i have no idea what i’m doing with vehicles though? - i guess they need rust and stuff - but thats a whole can of worms that I neither have the time nor the wish to do on this build. 

But I can't wait to continue further with the dak!!

I really enjoy this part although tomorrow night is the last night before a week holiday away from the build.

Any advice or feedback good and back is always welcomed.

Thanks for reading all this if you did 🙂

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 1

My last update for a while. I’ve been practising trying to use tamiya smoke and have attempted to simulate the ‘mesh-like‘ pattern left on the upper inner wing surface a little.

40635681293_cda6902ee1_b.jpg

The chipping itself from the last round i found a little to hard to control to replicate the original but it will have to suffice or i’ll never finish this thing.

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Paul that mesh pattern you see is the buckling of the skin, on the Dakota this section has some very fine buckling!

I have seen and even have a picture made myself from the topside of the Norwegian Dakota LN-WND were this can be seen and it reflects what you describes..

You have a very good eye for detail and love to see this in you build!

cheers, Jan

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, DJJunis said:

Paul,

That looks awesome! Really well done.

All the best!

Don

Thanks a lot don ! 🙏

Cant wait to get back from easter break away and on with the project

• Like 1

I’ve done most decals now, just a few remain.
And together with a little more paint work, the de-icing boots have been painted and the dome glass added. 

32744791867_b6581bb5ef_k.jpg

I just noticed i spilt a drop of olive drab on the underside at the bottom of this shot - damn.

32744790837_cc51526096_b.jpg

When i change an image to black and white it seems i should fade/lighten the top of fuselage more but it maybe the direct sunlight - i will have to try to shoot it outside to see.

Still more weathering and effects needed me thinks next.

32744791907_f253d1bc30_h.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

This has to be one of the best representations of fading and weathering that I have ever seen, especially as you have followed a photo and kept to what the photo shows.

Truly fantastic work Paul.

Craig.

Oh wow such a nice comment craig much appreciated from here!

• Like 1