Esci F-100D - Local Build

It had not been my intention to join this GB as my main (self imposed) rules are only to model military equipment based in East Anglia and the only four items in my stash that fitted were rather too big and needed aftermarket decals to fit the brief - starting with the biggest:

RB-36

KC-97Stratotanker

B-47

Valliant

It was them I found a Esci  Itatieri F-100 in the "For Sale" section of BM, not only that it had after market decals. All that I required was confirmation that the decals included a scheme that fitted. There was no problem because not only did the after market decals have East Anglian examples they included "Triple Zilch" 20th R+TTW Wethersfield circa 1960. a reference check showed that c 1960 was OK as the 20th TFW was so named on 8th July 1958.

That hurdle cleared there remained two potential issues.

The first was to test the decals to see if they were still usable.

DSC00802

DSC00803

Without any Decalfix, that step taken the second can be seen in this parts photo

DSC00804

One of the tail planes was missing, so I had to construct one from plastikard.

My rules for a build are simply - I enjoy it and the result looks like the subject I an happy that my tail plane meets those requirements..

My last introductory comments, and picture, relate to enjoying the build

DSC00806

The model came with Eduard p/e parts, and I have never used these before. Also my LMS has started stocking mig paints so I purchased the Bare metal set. As I cannot airbrush during the winter, these will be brush applied. So any suggestions as to the viability of this would be appreciated.

Edited by Paul821
original contained errors due to not having read paperwork
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Paul821 said:

started stocking mig paints so I purchased the Bare metal set. As I cannot airbrush during the winter, these will be brush applied. So any suggestions as to the viability of this would be appreciated.

I brush mig paints quite often. Not the metals mind you but regular colors. The trick is to put a little on a palette or something similar. Then let it sit for about 10 minutes to help the thinners evaporate a little. Then just paint as normal, using multiple thin coats. It will build up and should turn out ok. Practice on the inside of the fuselage/wing to get the hang of it. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

Not a lot of activity this week. I managed to get a reasonable representation of the missing tail-plane constructed.

DSC02466

As I mentioned the model came with Eduard p/e parts bit I did not feel this was adequate it would enhance the kit rather than improve it. Therefore much of the week was waiting for a parcel from the far east - Lowestoft to be exact. That contained

DSC02465

Aires cockpit and wheels.. This will be my first ever (after nearly 60 years of modelling) of using resin and p/e parts. You are never too young to try something new.

• Like 6

So my first attempt at p/e + resin aftermarket kits.

DSC02469

DSC02472

Reasonable effort in my view but was it worth it?

Bearing in mind that I usually omit internal details that cannot been seen on the finished model  I omitted a couple of parts that could not be seen and required some very fiddly folding. Even so the build tie for the cockpit was probably longer than the time it will tale me to glue the rest of the kit together,

However the seat is a great improvement on the kit supplied seat so that is a plus. It is even an improvement on the original + Eduard p/e.

At the moment, I will reserve judgement until I complete the model, however, on these older models I certainly thing that seats will be on my shopping list.

• Like 6

Very nice cockpit !

I'd say that you've already answered the question "was it worthy" ! The cockpit looks very nice and in jets the ejection seat is a detail that draws a lot of attention when the model is completed. Some other details like pedals may not be that important but a nicely detailed seat IMHO makes a lot of difference, so much that today I very often replace the seat in my models if the original part is not good enough, even if I then leave the rest of the cockpit OOB

• Thanks 1

DSC02475

No your eyes are not playing tricks this is a Mustang in my F-100 build. The reason being that as I mentioned at the start I am using Mig paints for the first time so I thought I do the first test on something other than the object of the GB. This as a post Christmas Aldi purchase when they were further discounted,

As suggested by @Corsairfoxfouruncle I placed a few drops of paint on a palette left it and then applied the paint using a size 10 brush. I must say I was very satisfied and this is the best brush painted metallic finish I have ever achieved. Happy with this I will now progress to the F-100.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Exactly a month since my last post.. So thought I'd post an update to say this build is still alive. Having spent two weeks out of the UK and anther working on a what could be seem as a 1:1 scale build, it was good to return to modelling over the weekend. It was only when I looked at my winter modelling table, that I realized that I had 10 builds on the go at the same time. It's now eleven as I started another build thread. Of the 11 8 are on the home straight, including the F-100.

DSC00874

All the parts are attached so some filling then final painting (as can be seen) and decals to complete.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to @chrislowe 's thread "Build more models" is realsied I had too many models on the go. So made a concerted attempt over the last few days to bring as many to completion as possible. Three completed, four nearly finished and this build is now at this stage:

DSC03639

It actually looks a lot more finished than it is, but for the first time in three weeks distinct progress has been made.

• Like 5

I think i'll leave this build now, the model does not look any different to the above although decals that were unseen have been added. It has flaws but I am happy with it.

Comments:

The Mig acrylic metallic paints worked to an extent. They achieved the best brush painted effect I have had, but I await warmer days when I can try air-brushing them. All the other painting was via Mig paints I I certainly found them an improvement on my previous Humbrol / Revell selection. A fuller example of the use of these paints is in my Dapol Rocket build, under Railways.

The aged decals went on very well. 

As to the aftermarket cockpit and wheels. Nothing there for me. The cockpit cannot be seen in normal viewing and the wheels are an improvement on those in the kit, but I don't think the finished product would look anything less like a F-100 if it was OOB. The cockpit was very fiddly for my ageing hands.

So for future:

Mig paints - I will continue using them

P/E resin parts - probably avoid them

I feel my enjoyment of the build was less than it might have been OOB but I certainly learned from it.

Thanks for watching

• Like 1