This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
brewerjerry

six nations thread

Hi

can't see one started yet, so here goes, can the 'lads' win the away game today 

cheers

jerry 

As an English man living in Dublin and season ticket holder at Leinster Rugby, I can tell you I have had to take a lot of slagging over the years.  For some strange reason - radio silence yesterday however one swallow doesn't make a summer and I think Wales will be the team to beat... 

No one can say England didn't deserve that. They came out fighting and got the reward. Whether it's a one off is another question.

Ireland will lock it's wounds and come on again. 

17 minutes ago, noelh said:

No one can say England didn't deserve that. They came out fighting and got the reward. Whether it's a one off is another question.

Ireland will lock it's wounds and come on again. 

Certainly will.  Where the Slam is gone, the Championship certainly isn't..

I do enjoy the six nations principally as sporting ethics still exist where they have all but disappeared in most other “sports”. The tribalism one sees so prevalent in football is mostly missing though some element of that is creeping in and frankly needs stamped on. I recall as a kid going to Murrayfield to watch the great Welsh teams and while there as a Scot spending as much time being excited by the Welsh team moving the ball as my own team. Much the same with our French friends. The power of an English team always was worth watch and the Irish on their day were as much fun on the pitch as off. It taught me you can hammer away on the pitch but fairly and when the whistle goes you do what the man says. It’s just a game and there is still a pint waiting in the bar to have among a bunch of new and not so new mates.

Again at club level hearing spectators talk of how well some players were playing on the other side. And mutters about any over the top acrimonious bellowing from the odd spectator who wasn’t quite with the program. If he was with your side a quiet tactful word to modify behaviour followed,  usually successfully.  And some wonderful touch line humour to undermine the more raucous conduct. Happy days. 

So good luck to all the teams taking part - just a wee bit more to the team in dark blue. 

Eh... meh... And meh...

Missed the other two matches (Wales/France and Scotland/Italy) so can't comment.

However I went to see the under 20s match live with the son and it was a cracker. One of the best I've seen in years. And not just cos we won either....

Got to agree, the atmosphere in a Rugby stand is so much better than that foot-the-ball rabble. 

For one thing, supporters are all mixed together regardless of their allegiance. And we still get to drink beer!

I've been to a few losing matches over the years, and they were still as enjoyable as the winning ones. 

As for behaviour... I once witnessed an "undesirable" being ejected from the stands by other supporters because of his behaviour. 

"Football is a Gentlemens game played by thugs. Rugby is a thugs game played by Gentlemen".

I love the Six Nations, it's by far my favourite tournament to watch and the only sporting event that gets me excited. 

Blood pressure tablets - Check. 

Angina Spray - Check. Believe me I do need both for a good match!! 

As for my allegiance, I'm a proud Englishman with both an Irish granny and a Scottish granny, so I just look forward to watching a great game and cheer everybody. 

My good lady also has a passion for rugby, but with her, her attention is focused on players thighs! But her particular favourites were Brian O'Driscoll and Jonny Wilkinson. 

Which ever flag you wave, wave it proudly and good luck. 

On 2/3/2019 at 7:49 AM, Grey Beema said:

As an English man living in Dublin and season ticket holder at Leinster Rugby, I can tell you I have had to take a lot of slagging over the years.  For some strange reason - radio silence yesterday however one swallow doesn't make a summer and I think Wales will be the team to beat... 

You appear to be a prophet now. I wish I had money to bet on that result. Wales for the Grand slam? 

It wouldn't surprise me. 

The crucial match now is Ireland v Wales. Ironically Ireland could do England a favour. 

Actually not ironic at all  because as others point out There's the lack of tribalism in rugby. 

If only other sports understood that idea. 

As a Celt though. I hope Wales go all the way.

Wales for the Grand Slam!

Ummm, as a Welshman I always dread the game against Ireland. As someone else said, often as much fun on the field as off it but I hesitate to apply the word fun to an Irish team which would like to spoil the party -------- by winning a game!

:coat:

Indeed, we dread the Welsh too. Never ever underestimate the Welsh. As the English discovered today.

I know playing England is the auld enemy but Wales the auld friend. They'll ruthlessly beat us too.

Edited by noelh

Whatever the results, its setting it all up so well for the World Cup however on Friday night I was still there to see a Leinster Acadamy team get a bonus point win against Southern Kings to stretch there lead further in Conference B of the Pro 14..

Hopefully yesterday's result will spur England on to do better in the slightly larger tournament in September.

If  nothing else it emphasises the need for a plan B for when the opposition don't let you play according to plan A.

2 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

What a match to finish on,can't remember seeing a better one....

I want some of whatever Scotland had in their half-time refreshments ! :)

Cracking match.

40 minutes ago, IanHx said:

I want some of whatever Scotland had in their half-time refreshments ! :)

Cracking match.

leave some for me, please.

As you said, I don't honestly think you could have had, or will ever get, a better finale for a tournament than that.

Wales winning the grand slam isn't what will be the main talking point for this weekend, much as it pains me to say so.

What a sporting spectacle and one of the best examples of not giving up in the face of adversity. 

That's got to be one of, if not the best games of rugby I've ever seen. 

What made it special was that I watched it with my best mate Colin, who is a proud Scotsman and who comes around to watch the England v Scotland game each year. We both cheered and shouted ourselves hoarse throughout the game and applauded both sides tries in equal measure. 

Just imagine the scene at the end of the game with two grey haired, 64 year old farts, both with dickie tickers and tears streaming down our faces. My wife even came in from the other room to see the end and to pass around the angina spray and camomile tea. 

I think I've just about calmed down now. 

In the end, the score didn't matter to us, it was just a privilege to watch that match. 

What a beautiful game. 

On 2/24/2019 at 4:32 PM, IanHx said:

slightly larger tournament in September.

I'm not looking forward to that,the FIFA World Cup in 02 was a nightmare with early morning matches (felt like falling asleep a few times at work).....

As a Scot with distant English ancestry on dads side all I can say after that last game is "Phew, what a roller coaster that was".  In fact possibly one of the games that will stick in my memory for the rest of my life.    And regardless of result surely that is what good rugby - or any other sport for that matter - is all about.

And well done Wales.  

Last and not least, to all the home teams good luck in the World Cup.  It would be nice to see the Northern Hemisphere sides do well.