1/48 Messesrschmitt Bf 108 Taifun - Widerøe's Flyveselskap

Here are a few photos of my last finished model. It was built from Eduard's excellent 1/48 kit of the Bf 108 Taifun (Profipack edition). The model portrays a Taifun used by Norwegian regional airliner Widerøe's Flyveselskap for photographing and target tugging duties from the late 1940ies until the middle of the 50ies. I was in touch with Arctic Decals regarding custom decals, but they had troubles making the required cream colour. In the end, I got some APLS-printed decals in white, but ended up using the decals as templates for masks made from Tamiya masking tape. The exception is the logo on the motor cowling. Here, I over-sprayed the white decals with a mixture of transparent acrylics from Tamiya (mainly yellow) prior to application, in order to get the desired cream colour. The small text on each side of the fuselage behind the cabin window was taken from Lima November Decals' sheet of decals for Widerøe Beaver and Otter.

Regards,

Ragnar

bcRDiQTmg4u_3a55_27QP5LMwiSCp4JImK3HOGsz

4j5JHMifWS--ox03YgB0_546r4cFLJ9UvGf0X-SS

Edited by ragnarec
Spell correction
  • Like 56
  • Thanks 1

• 4 years later...
On 9/1/2023 at 4:36 PM, 2996 Victor said:

Could I also how you achieved the dropped wing leading-edge slats?

Oh, yes, how to start... I'm the kind of model builder that tends to experiment and do drastic modifications of the models I'm building. In this case, I used two different methods for the two slats. The port one was made from Milliput, and the starboard one of aluminium sheet and epoxy resin. In both cases, I used the plastic slices that was removed from the top wings to form the wing skin under the slats.

AIL4fc9kKtp0dKR_qVzgSQacZUNEenUDQyBRnZpdL_F3i1MTZbi8FPukGtIWKGc2odmBvwR1aChZwV9xylRHeKRrOWjqyTrqaZ70sgEVP3-b0f4lPuPdw7FyiuBEmRGrr7cJmP-BI_sa5yhPVitOUFOwBZvF=w962-h722-s-no?authuser=0

For the Milliput slat, I tightly wrappen a piece of plastic wrap around the leading edge, held in place with tape, and then pressed some Milliput

over it.

AIL4fc-N2IJPurSK6LCyL-H5hjGJ0PXukLWdqsf7cmIi_LNW9nEhxqwqV2tSiJ43so4A22HuUwwbvT3eUGWN3zM32Ajnm5W-V0C7eYa7GMYzJqECiuFsvgoDdSpQyFdu_3RJ27SxplZQx-ZZVbR7jAeo6epB=w962-h722-s-no?authuser=0

After the Milliput had hardened, it was carefully sanded to match the contour of the wing.

AIL4fc-nWikKvis9AYjeGDAlXmKJtHKnI4HTmf_gqyIMBgw66p_E79vFX51F8scLmbP3skvamgFkW5RSs7qFY-mFD3OlkcriTqusmI93F_SwHjlqpLFNcrHpj6bDAOdAfOssB3H3Qbjlom8P6dOHGXPFPANR=w962-h722-s-no?authuser=0

Not fast and not easy, but it worked! 

The other method for the port slat also worked after some fetling. For my next model with dropped slats, I will probably try something different... 

On 9/2/2023 at 11:07 AM, Remus389 said:

This model is a gem. 🙂👍

Thanks!

Regards,

Ragnar 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi Ragnar,

Thank you very much for describing how you achieved the dropped slats! Both methods are very effective, and contribute to a beautiful model.

I'm tempted to try a similar modification on my kit when I build it, although it might be better to try the techniques on a scrap model before I commit to the Taifun!

Many thanks once again, and I'm looking forward to your next build.

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 1