BF 109 G-14 Eduard 1/48

cger

Hi all,

I post some pictures of one of my builds from last year, that I finally decided photograph. It is a 109 G-14 from  JG 53 found abandoned by US troops in Kassel. I used the Profipack boxing from Eduard and sourced the decals from my spares. I had decided to give a try to AK interactive acrylics but was not able to get correct results, so I went back to my trusty Gunze. The weathering is done with Mig Ammo washes, ink pens and pigments.

I made a small base from styrene foam, with a cart from Tamiya,

I hope you like it,

best,

Christian.

P1060089

P1060088

P1060091

P1060095

P1060090

P1060094

• Like 43

Very nice Gustav Christian. Beautiful mottle and weathering - looks nicely used and abused. I too have tried AK acrylics when I needed some RAF colours quickly and found them very difficult to spray and the colours did not seen correct - I too stick mainly with Gunze.

Cheers

Malcolm

Being myself a 109aholic I can see you must be one too, since the attention to details and to the paint work tells the tale.

Outstanding work all round. I would love to learn how to do a base like yours, can you give some hints on materials & techniques used?

On 2/3/2019 at 12:37 AM, Holzhamer said:

Being myself a 109aholic I can see you must be one too, since the attention to details and to the paint work tells the tale.

Outstanding work all round. I would love to learn how to do a base like yours, can you give some hints on materials & techniques used?

Thanks guys for the comments !  Here are a few explanations about how I made the base (it is very simple).

I use 10mm think isolation foam board bought from a DIY store. Using a vector software (I use Inkscape which is free) I drawed some ellipses of various sizes that I printed on paper.

Gluing an ellipse on the foam board and cutting around with a sharp cutter gives me the shape. Blemishes can be sanded with coarse sandpaper.

I smooth out the sides with modelling paste from an art store and then paint it.

The planks on the base are coffee stirrers (collected over the years, not bought !). I use gloss acrylic medium to depict the water and ice pools, mixing the medium with artificial snow is used for the snow.

The earth is done with AK Earth Effects. F rom the smell  this is just thick acrylic paint for walls mixed with sand, so next time I will buy one of these small paint samples that they sell 

to try out colors and do my mix myself.

The vegetation is done with some colored foam for railroad modellers. It  can also be selfmade I think,

best,

Christian.

Edited by cger
  • Thanks 1