Airfix 1/72 Vampire T.11

Fairly new here (obviously as my post count suggests) and just started my very first model since I was about 13 (over 35 years ago) an Avro Vulcan (the Airfix 1.72 Vulcan to the Sky Set bought as a Christmas Present by the wife) - now, that is proving to be quite the project and with all the filling, sanding and scribing involved I feel like i've made very little progress...

So in search of instant gratification...or at the very least a model I can build, paint and finish quickly...I purchased the smaller and ostensibly easier Airfix 1.72 Vampire T.11 - an aircraft dear to my heart as there was an abandoned one parked on the grass outside the ATC hut where I lived as a kid...and we used to clamber all over it before "Parkey" chased us off!

39993838863_038fe47d94_b.jpgBox

Smaller and obviously at first glance likely to cause less trouble! Better fit and finish, recessed panel lines, nice decals...its obviously a far better quality model!

First steps...prepare and paint the cockpit and fuselage nacelle

33082959718_9cbf7af241_b.jpgCockpit1

Airbrush it a nice even Black

32017352057_1c52e680e7_b.jpgCockpit2

Then finish off by painting a little detail, drybrushing with silver and adding a little aftermarket "help"

39993838773_f274d72683_b.jpgCockpit3

33082959588_9e221177e7_b.jpgCockpit4

Quite pleased so far - next step to do some of the large part assembly, get it fitted, filled and sanded...who knows I might get this completed in short order...which will be very satisfying!

• Like 6

That is a much better starting model. Now you have only 298 models to get for your stash and it looks like you have go the after market bug as well. I'm sure you will be very pleased with the result with this one.

Edited by Greg Law