Bedford QL Gun Portee, 1/35 Scale

Bedford QL Gun Portee, 1/35 Scale

BQL1-DSC00493.jpg

This is my Bedford QL Gun Portee, 1/35 Scale TOMY model depicting a British Armed Forces vehicle in the North African Campaign of WWII. 

It was built January 25, 2009 - February 22, 2009, for a Build contest. The model was also entered in a local IPMS show in West Springfield, Massachusetts, USA, at the Wings & Wheels of Western Massachusetts annual model show, in which it won an Honorable Mention ribbon (my first ever modeling award).

BQL2-DSC00492.jpg

Of note on the kit:  It was bought at an estate sale of this little old dude who'd passed away, and had model kit boxes piled high in every room and basement of his house, of which I walked out with the purchase of 2 lawn and leaf bag's worth of kits! This kits' box was open, but all parts still on sprue. The only thing missing were the decals....hence, all insignia and symbols were hand painted as best as possible. The kit was quite old, but a lot of fun to build. 

Scratchbuilt were: 

• The medical and gear bags, out of clay and tape (not the best result but, it was a decent enough first try);
  • The tow chain made from some trinket jewelry lids bracelet;
  • The camo netting, made of white glue infused cheese cloth, hand-painted;
  • The windshield was missing, so I made one out of scrap clear plastic laying around the homestead;
  • and the gun ramps were drilled out with a pin vice.

The kit tested my skills in many ways, and was completely hand-painted (I wasn't using airbrushes yet, at that time)

This was my first real attempt at weathering....

The driver ended up being taken out of the kit, as it was just horribly cast, but the rest of the kit was pretty well made. It was bought at an estate sale many years back and was missing the decals (and IIRC, the windshield, which I scratch built) so the *decals* are hand painted. a cool part that came with this kit was the artillery piece.

The camo netting was done with cheesecloth and whiteglue; the chain on the front was added from buying a cheap piece of jewelry at a department store. I made an attempt at scratchbuilding Medic Bags, with limited success. Additionally, I drilled holes in the gun piece ramps to give them a bit more of an authentic feel.

Edited by Whiterook
  • Like 2

BQL10-20090222-19.jpg

The netting was made from cheesecloth, which was shaped with a mixture of white glue (Elmer's) and water, spread over the kit framing in the bed. The ramps were solid, so I drilled them out with a pin-vice, in a fashion that is slightly messy, as perhaps done in the field. The windshield was dirtied up to show heavy sand. The chain in the front, was made from wrist braclet jewelry. The medical and storage bags were a bad attempt at shaped clay and straps from tape....kinda a failed attempt

BQL11-20090222-18.jpg

The gun ramps had a solid surface, but I thought they'd look better with holes for traction.

BQL12-20090222-17.jpg

This was the first time I tried to 'dust up' a windshield.

BQL3-20090227-9.jpg

BQL4-20090227-8.jpg

• Like 3

Good looking build 👍 ... Nothing ventured, nothing gained at least you tried scratchbuilding the bags. I just made my 1st attempt at sandbags for a future build. They’re not perfect but with armor i have kind of a “That’ll do” attitude. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Thanks, guys! It's a great looking vehicle, and I loved trying new things with it. I just wish it had a better driver-figure. If I were to do the kit over, I'd likely try a camouflage pattern on it, rather than a straight color.

• Like 1