Spitfire FR XIV MV364, 8 RIAF

Troy Smith

found this image when i stuck Spitfire written in Cyrillic ( Спитфайр )  into google on the chance of some VVS Spitfire images

300602_23_pic_62.jpg

MV364 FRXIVE AG65(Interim) Super used as prod proto 11-7-44 39MU 22-1-45 215MU 17-5-45 Samsturdy 2-7-45 India 28-7-45 ACSEA 9-8-45 8RIAF 'A' ros 13-5-49

what struck me was the small roundels, though after looking up the serial it seem this is in Indian AF service,  though as before independence,  still RAF roundel colours?  A check shows independence day was 15 August 1947,  but another check here

https://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/heraldry/roundels/363-roundels47.html

Low contrast uppers, so DG/DE,  white serail are a good indicator of this as well, and still with SEAC stripes.    Just posting really as a heads up for the new Airifx Spitfire XIV

This is from the link above, which discusses the Chakra roundels, this looks to be DFS,  high contrast uppers, black serial

Spit-Chakra96_Small.jpg

A Mk XVIII of the AFS (India) Ambala in the post ‘chakra’ markings hastily applied over the earlier type ‘C’ roundel. Most Spitfires in the training role carried a double digit ID numeral under the cockpit. This aircraft is HS636 and is the first Spitfire in IAF service to carry a HS serial

The Chakra decals were in this boxings BTW, and done by Cartograf

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/academy-12211-spitfire-fr-mkxive-special-edition--107291

107291-12192-24-pristine.jpg

Aca-Spit-Decal.jpg

rambling off, but maybe of use for those searching for something different for the new kit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
21 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Given that I have only ever seen one of they Academy kits built as Race 80, there must be a lot of the appropriate decals floating around spare. 

See also this post:

Actually there isn't anything I've seen in 1/48 in the aftermarket , but there is a set for 1/72 from Andy at Thunderbird Models..... I will continue to hunt for a 1/48 set.......